Camera choice

io1901

My daughter has informed me that she would like a camera for Christmas to help with her GCSE Art. The only things she has specified is that it has to have interchangeable lenses and be able to record video. I've looked at DSLR (Nikon/ Canon) but was wondering if a mirrorless camera would be a better buy, something like Lumix GX80. Has anyone any suggestions? The budget is less than £400. 

Edited by io1901

If it was me, DSLR, because there is a very healthy secondhand market to help stay in budget. They arguably offer the most versatility and quality for the money. I would look to the MPB webbsite to get an idea of prices, which are a little cheaper buying privately though eBay items seem to fetch high money.

A good friend uses a canon D70 to shoot commercial videos, not 4K though HD. It’s been superseded, so secondhand bargains to be had. I’ve the newer D80 for stills use, great camera. Lens wise, depends on type of work tbh, might be worth checking that out with daughter. For vlogging the Canon 10-18mm lens is favourite, a slightly longer zoom would be more versatile.

Just my view, as with any questions, you’ll get polarising views and.. “theirs is the best and the only way”.. on this question, so best of luck.

• Thanks 1

As above, I'd recommend a DSLR. Another place to look for used camera gear is the London Camera exchange, there is one in Chester and a big one in Manchester. 

Heres a link

WEX (also previously Calumet) sell used gear as well as Jessops (through Camera Jungle), But I would try London Camera Exchange first just to see the huge range and prices of Canons and Nikons etc (search at 'all branches' to get best idea on pricing)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, io1901 said:

Well we've bought a Nikon D3500 with a 18-55 lens in the "sales" from Jlewis (2 yr guarantee) qs they were price matching.

Great choice for a beginner or a hobbiest. Sure your daughter will enjoy using it :)