Need a new steering wheel

Hi

Unfortunately my steering wheel has become rather tatty and i was looking at getting a new one. Annoyingly all the ones on ebay come without airbags. Is it possible to put my current airbag into the new steering wheel? also mine is a bog standard wheel so i was thinking of upgrading to the monte carlo wheel, would it fit in that?

Many thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

...As long as you fit the standard shape, the airbag should just fit back in. The main thing is to take care to fit it without exploding it and to ensure the warning light works and goes out correctly. 

Obviously you need to remove the battery neg lead prior to even THINKING about disconnecting the thing!

As for wear, they all do that! There are also slightly similar versions that have a nice little chrome trim around the airbag cover. Purely decorative but looks nicer than bog standard.

• Like 1

A cheaper option would be to sew on a leather cover: I put one on a Fabia a few years back -stayed on there for over a year and sold the car with it fitted -really nice quality and looked great -the eBay seller is still using the photo i sent him of it fitted to my car: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-SKODA-FABIA-2-BEST-ITALIAN-LEATHER-STEERING-WHEEL-COVER-GREY-STITCHING-07-12/261243135895?_mwBanner=1&ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F0%2F0%2F0%3Fmpre%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F261243135895%26rvr_id%3D0%26rvr_ts%3D5b49f0411670a887cde386deffed73b3&ul_noapp=true&pageci=fbc5dafd-c1dd-4c17-94f7-9dfe84cb3c2b&epid=1488361144

I dunno how it's gotten so bad! I'm a CAD Engineer, and thus have soft girlie hands (drawing pictures on a computer all day) so I don't know what could have rubbed it sooooo bad! I've got about 96k on the clock, and it's only me that drives the car (apart from the odd Skoda garage person at MOT's and Services)

I've been looking at the stitch on leather covers on Amazon recently! £15 delivered, real leather (not PU) options for different coloured stitching (I'll stick with black) might have a better look in the new year! 

• 2 weeks later...

Nope! no rings, no false nails... just my big ole meathooks, and as I said, even though I'm an engineer, i draw pictures all day, so my hands are girlie smooth!

it feels like it looks too! really getting upset with it, as it's the only worn bit of my car! even after 96k miles!

Do you do the old "Wash the dishes" Power steering style of driving? My wear is on the back, no where near as severe. My students get taught pull push steering and a  light grip.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I had a plastic steering wheel and got it replaced for a leather one. I found one that had the same airbag shape, ordered it new from CZ, and got it installed in my Skoda dealership (they did the installation for 40€).

also - if it makes any one feel any better - I have a 2016 VW Passat with a high spec and the wheel has started to wear excessively after 45000 miles.

I think sometimes you just get poor quality wheels that don't stand up to real world conditions.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, John Fisher said:

Hello Skoda steering wheels wear out very quickly. I got a leather cover off Amazon and put it on. Took quite a while to sew it on but looks OK and six years later is still looking good. 

Been thinking about getting one of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073XWRYNM/?coliid=I1K7T26Z4SSUP4&colid=26ONQ5VNIIAJH&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it