Kodiak 4x4

Channel

In Auto Express this week they state that the Kodiak is permanent 4WD which to me would mean that both axles are driven all the time regardless of road conditions.  I would have thought that this was quite difficult without a centre differential.  If that is the case I assume that it would apply to the Karoq as well.  I understood that both vehicles are front wheel drive until the front wheels slip and then power can be sent to the rear axle.

Part time AWD but permanently ready to put drive to the rear. 

No Locking diffs so not really AWD or 4x4.   Part time and drive to wheels as an when by locking spinning wheels etc.   

They also said the New Jimny is Permanent 4x4 which it is not.

Here is Thomas. 

'4 wheel drive, permanent',   which obviously it is not.

Edited by Offski

I read this as well when people say they read it, is this because there is a prop shaft rotating?

but actually you can have the front wheels driving in rollers and the rears in the air or on rollers and no rear wheels turning.

Edited by Offski

@linni

Very true,  Because 4x4's can get stuck as well if you slide them all over the place and go off piste, or make a mess of tracks.

Often needing recovered by something capable, and not all have tow bars / balls so good front accessible recovery points and rears are important, 

2 for using bridles on, not just tie down points as nearly all SUV's with AWD get as standard.  Suitable for winching onto low loaders more than snatch recoveries.

What I meant, is when taking corners in winter, 2 wheel drive is always understeered, whereas 4 WD can easily turned into oversteered.

2 WD entering into corner - reduce accelerator to avoid understeer.

4 WD - increase acceleration to avoid understeer and to gain control with oversteering.

Winter driving basics in snowy countries.

Actually you know as i know, that that is still all about the tyres as well.

No traction no action or lots of action that the man that designed the electrics might just not be able to help you with.

Why do VW Group / Skoda send cars to the UK with such rubbish tyres on them?

Now are you talking 2wd front puller or 2 wd rear pusher or a bit of both with the other end coming in, 

i have 1 of each.   I have a 4x4 as well.

Edited by Offski

5 hours ago, R1100 said:

This is worth a watch and details the AWD system

I had to turn off when he claimed the black plastic wheel arches and honeycomb grill were unique to the Scout (they're not), that the Auto Hold button turned off the stop/start and that the Scout's alloys were behind it's extra ride height. Unlikely given they're the same size (including the tyres) as the 19" alloys fitted to non-Scouts.

Journalists hey!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AndyMorris said:

As long as it can hold its own in UK winters I don't care! 

I personally won't know how good my 2.0tsi will be this winter as I can't see me getting it much before April 19! (ordered July 18)

2017 / 2018 was my first winter with my Bear and when the Big Snow came I found it to be on-the-limit with 4WD and the OEM summer tyres while travelling my regular hump back bridge uphill journey not far from home. That was after digging at least 12” of snow out of my drive to reach the unplowed residential street I live in.

So all 4 wheels were spinning happily and I managed to slowly inch up and over the hump backed bridge and along totally snow covered roads including a second uphil stretch.

Just made it. But “just” isn’t good enough when you want to (almost) guarantee that you can get where you want/need to be. Or get home from where you find yourself when the snow and ice descends.

So this year the winter tyres are going on.  I’ve used them on a few previous cars and reckon they do make a significant difference to the grip on snow.

Each to his own of course.

Edited by BoxerBoy
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, BoxerBoy said:

Just made it. But “just” isn’t good enough when you want to (almost) guarantee that you can get where you want/need to be. Or get home from where you find yourself when the snow and ice descends.

23 minutes ago, BoxerBoy said:

But would a 2wd drive have made the same journey? 

On 09/11/2018 at 20:45, silver1011 said:

Electrically adjustable seats with 3 memory presets, both driver and passenger side, are standard on the Scout here in the UK.

And the same for the Edition.

The scout comes with it on the drivers side only, passenger side being an optional extra.

On 12/11/2018 at 12:17, gojoholo said:

And the same for the Edition.

The scout comes with it on the drivers side only, passenger side being an optional extra.

Nope, the Scout has electric memory seats on the passenger seat as standard too.

39 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Nope, the Scout has electric memory seats on the passenger seat as standard too.

My mistake. Meant to say its the Sportline that has the single electric seat.

Edited by gojoholo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gojoholo said:

My mistake. Meant to say its the Sportline that has the single electric seat.

Unless you get one down here in NZ... :happy:

Then electric memory passenger seat as well...

I think the rascals have deleted the Offroad button from the SEL now.

I’ll have to keep my old 2017 banger as long as possible to enjoy my archaic buttons for the radio & zoom twiddling, the interior alarm immobilisation and for rolling around in grassy car parks.