Columbus - Worst Sat Nav Ever!

On Android Auto you shouldn’t get any of the stationary Waze adverts. In some regions you might get branded pins, but you can disable “Waze news and updates” and “Waze Places info” under notifications.

I agree about the cartoon UI though and I prefer the way Google maps shows lane info etc, but the community info makes Waze my default choice. I felt Google Maps was getting a little bloated, but with the recent rollout of community features (speed cam report) and layout changes I might give it a try again.

Never buy a Mercedes,  Byteme, you would probably commit suicide. 

Google is fine.

20180923_132438.jpg

Edited by vfrvrs
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, vfrvrs said:

Hi VFRVRS      I did have a Mercedes C Class before my Skoda  and must admit the Sat nav done my head in, always telling me to turn half left or right.

I do fine the Skoda Superb to be a lot better drive, but even that sat nav said turn half left!! I nearly had a nervous break down.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, vfrvrs said:

Google is fine.

20180923_132438.jpg

So funny Because it’s so true.

My colleague has a 66 plate E class and the sat nav is awful. It’s a Garmin based nav, which should be great, I use one on my motorbike and it does what it should do, but in the Merc it literally couldn’t find its way out of your driveway!

My wife uses a TomTom unit (top of the range with in built SIM card) and it is absolutely brilliant, avoids traffic well, searches the internet for places etc etc.

i don’t think the Skoda unit is too bad and it seems to work for what I need. 

Apple car car play is rubbish though, the sound quality (although advertised as better than Bluetooth) is nowhere near as good as Bluetooth. I can’t really use it anyway most of the time because I need to have 2 phones working through the system.

On 18/11/2018 at 06:24, Flipfly said:

I don’t think the Skoda unit is too bad and it seems to work for what I need. 

Apple car car play is rubbish though, the sound quality (although advertised as better than Bluetooth) is nowhere near as good as Bluetooth. I can’t really use it anyway most of the time because I need to have 2 phones working through the system.

I don't mind either the Skoda SatNav (on the Columbus) or Waze/Google Maps using Apple CarPlay.  I only normally use CarPlay for Phone/Music but have used it in the car with Waze and Google Maps, and found it acceptable.  Much better than Apple Maps, which is absolutely useless.

The Skoda SatNav isn't always excellent, and tries to re-route too often if there's traffic ahead, but it has always got me to the destination safely, which is what counts!  Mine is using the Firmware out of the factory, and hasn't had any map updates yet, which I should get around to doing soon!

Edited by hwr1983

Anyway, tried my nav today entering a post code.

Pressed new route, full keyboard appears including numbers, typed in post code and pressed start.

How simple can it be?

I must admit I did put a space between the two halfs, I don't know if it was required but the 0.1 seconds it took didn't really detract from the experience. 

Edited by vfrvrs
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Bud said:

Waze cannot give me a route from Austria to Calais!

oh dear, I just like things to be up to date..  must admit that it can be confusing sometimes when it tells you to turn half left. :giggle:

Maybe I should revert to old school tech, get a map out and head NW for 11 hours there you go.  

Job done :thumbup:

• Haha 1

Latest version is even worse!  Deal breaker for me, this Superb will be my last.

Nice resolution display but the cheap and nasty gloss black trim is atrocious, much like the Samsung TV's of ten years ago. You can see every deviation in the cheap plastic mouldings and the whole centre console is a fingerprint magnet and resembles a child's toy. The software and interface is even worse and now there is no way to directly access functions without going through the home menu. The sat nav is still entirely dependent on audible commands aimed at the feeble minded and still allows every other infotainment function priority to take priority. WTF is so difficult to understand that I don't  want to listen to a voice but would like the map to pop up a mile in advance of a motorway junction? The +- control for the volume is worthy of a special award, a bullet through the head of everyone that signed it off. At least the steering wheel control still works.

I love the proximity buttons but WTF do I need to know my altitude every second I'm driving? is there some point I run out of headroom and crash into a freaking asteroid? What's with the North Up option? You set it ONCE when you get a new car and never use it but again Skoda obliterate a fair portion on the map with this while I own their car.

The whole system was designed and signed off by a bunch of idiots who (cheap nasty plastic aside) no doubt congratulated themselves on something that looks good in a brochure or in the a showroom.

There is a time where voice prompts may be needed but Skoda's system is too slow to respond in many real life applications. If you rely on on a little voice permanently on you shouldn't be driving!

6 hours ago, byteme said:

Latest version is even worse!  Deal breaker for me, this Superb will be my last.

Nice resolution display but the cheap and nasty gloss black trim is atrocious, much like the Samsung TV's of ten years ago. You can see every deviation in the cheap plastic mouldings and the whole centre console is a fingerprint magnet and resembles a child's toy. The software and interface is even worse and now there is no way to directly access functions without going through the home menu. The sat nav is still entirely dependent on audible commands aimed at the feeble minded and still allows every other infotainment function priority to take priority. WTF is so difficult to understand that I don't  want to listen to a voice but would like the map to pop up a mile in advance of a motorway junction? The +- control for the volume is worthy of a special award, a bullet through the head of everyone that signed it off. At least the steering wheel control still works.

I love the proximity buttons but WTF do I need to know my altitude every second I'm driving? is there some point I run out of headroom and crash into a freaking asteroid? What's with the North Up option? You set it ONCE when you get a new car and never use it but again Skoda obliterate a fair portion on the map with this while I own their car.

The whole system was designed and signed off by a bunch of idiots who (cheap nasty plastic aside) no doubt congratulated themselves on something that looks good in a brochure or in the a showroom.

There is a time where voice prompts may be needed but Skoda's system is too slow to respond in many real life applications. If you rely on on a little voice permanently on you shouldn't be driving!

What you need is a big knob to twist...You should buy a 3 series bmw and relax.

• Haha 4