How to find out my MPG / fuel consumption worries

bluemoon

Hi all, got at Citigo a couple of months ago and overall am happy with it but it's been drinking petrol like no tomorrow! So this prompted me to try and find out my MPG but I can't seem to find anywhere in the car display that will tell this. I have an 2018 SE L , surely the car will tell me this?

Have you ‘ran’ it in? As stated on collection & in the manual? If not this could be why the MPG isn’t as you’d hoped. 

To find it we’ll need to know...  did the car come with the optional MFD or not?

Edited by Jonny118118

1 hour ago, bluemoon said:

Hi it wasn’t a brand new car, it had already done 3500 miles- does that count as ‘ran in’? I don’t know what an MFD is, can you clarify? Thanks 

Yeah that’s ran in. 

MFD stands for multifunction Display - also known as Maxi Dot. (It’s an optional extra for the Citigo)

If yours as this - you’ll be able to see MPG and loads of other data. 

Unfortunately if yours doesn’t have this, you’ll need an Android or iOS phone to download the Skoda Move & Fun app to access MPG and afew other features.

hope this helps.

Welcome.

?

Can you give an idea just how much petrol it is drinking by saying how much it actually uses by what you are needing to buy.

?

If you fill the tank how many miles might you cover before filling up again and how many litres will it take to fill it?

?

What kind of use does the car get, short trips, longer ones, or mixed driving. 

PS

Is the car an Ex Demonstrator from a Skoda Dealership?

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

As a follow up to Offski, the Citigo tank isn't that big and the consumption varies massively depending on type of journey and the weight of the driver's right foot.

Depending on type of journeys and driving style, anything between 300 and 600 miles a tank has been noted

29 minutes ago, Offski said:

Welcome.

?

Can you give an idea just how much petrol it is drinking by saying how much it actually uses by what you are needing to buy.

I'm just comparing it to my old car - a Hyundai i20 - I only had to fill that up every 3-4 weeks - I've been lucky to get 2 weeks out of my Citigo - this has promoted me to look further into my MPG etc.

?

If you fill the tank how many miles might you cover before filling up again and how many litres will it take to fill it?

I'm not sure at the moment, am now keeping track of it.

?

What kind of use does the car get, short trips, longer ones, or mixed driving. 

Generally just short trips.

PS

Is the car an Ex Demonstrator from a Skoda Dealership?

Yes it is.

8 hours ago, bluemoon said:

Not entirely sure how the quoting is working but I'll try and reply..

The Citigo has a 35 litre tank, the i20 has a 50 litre tank.

If you were filling the i20 every 3-4 weeks, it is not unreasonable to fill the Citigo every 2 weeks. You'll just not be putting as much in.

35 minutes ago, Gyp said:

Not entirely sure how the quoting is working but I'll try and reply..

The Citigo has a 35 litre tank, the i20 has a 50 litre tank.

If you were filling the i20 every 3-4 weeks, it is not unreasonable to fill the Citigo every 2 weeks. You'll just not be putting as much in.

Yeah thank So i thought about the tank capacity- my I20 had 45 litres capacity- usually filled it up with 10 litres to go (when the light comes on) on think I'm putting a similar amount it and its only costing me a couple of pounds less to fill up. 

Downloaded the the app today and it said my average MPG was 48 , is that reasonable? 

I'be also noticed the fuel gauge doesn't seem to go down steadily, doesn't move for awhile then drops- is that normal for Citigo?

24 minutes ago, bluemoon said:

Yeah thank So i thought about the tank capacity- my I20 had 45 litres capacity- usually filled it up with 10 litres to go (when the light comes on) on think I'm putting a similar amount it and its only costing me a couple of pounds less to fill up. 

Downloaded the the app today and it said my average MPG was 48 , is that reasonable? 

I'be also noticed the fuel gauge doesn't seem to go down steadily, doesn't move for awhile then drops- is that normal for Citigo?

Doesn't more then drops is pretty much normal for every car I've driven.

48 sounds about right

Doesn't actually matter how heavy your right foot is. Fuel efficiency is better when engine works harder. 

But if you don't look any further than a car in front of you, that's what makes consumption figures worse. If you accelerate when you should coast or brake.

@bluemoon   Easy enough if you know to just say how much petrol was costing a litre when you were fueling the i20 and how much it costs you now.

& how many miles did that 10 litre take you in the i20 and how many miles in the Citigo.

The petrol was 100 pence a litre a couple of years back and started rising and is not near 100 pence a litre now.

DSCN2346.JPG.16450bc1e6ae9d8856d53de2c75c67aa.JPG

On 15/11/2018 at 09:29, Emil said:

Fuel efficiency is better when engine works harder. 

Is this specific to the citigo? As my 400bhp BMW wouldn't agree with that statement :) 

On 13/11/2018 at 15:08, bluemoon said:

Hi all, got at Citigo a couple of months ago and overall am happy with it but it's been drinking petrol like no tomorrow! So this prompted me to try and find out my MPG but I can't seem to find anywhere in the car display that will tell this. I have an 2018 SE L , surely the car will tell me this?

If you have a smart phone, download the Skoda "Move & Fun App. Put the phone into the Holder on the Dash, using the Radio connect the app to the Car Via bluetooth  and this will give you all the information you'll need and you'll get Handsfree mobile in the car.

Page 85 of the Manual.                 

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

On 13/11/2018 at 15:08, bluemoon said:

Easy way to check is top up tank and reset trip, when you fill up next do a calculation (in the UK it would be) number of litres divided by 4.54  = gallons used, then divide the number of miles covered  (since last fill up) by the number of gallons used and that will give you your MPG figure

The sensible way is the one above, brim the tank use brim again then work it out.

When I had a Citigo the  fuel usage was around 40-45 mpg as the OP seems to be getting, so normal ish. Boot it on the motorway and the MPG will be poor, a lighter right foot and keep it below 70mph and you can achieve 60mpg+ and that's on the MFD display figures, real figures knock 10-15 mpg off those.

My 1.2TSi Toledo isn't far behind what I got with the Citigo. Just don't expect the published mpg figures given out by the makers or motoring media, it ain't going to happen as the VW diesel owners have found out, or been found out.

Edited by MickA