Oil Change Service + Differential Oil Interval ?

TasMan

I was surprised when my oil change indicator popped up last week, 10k miles already since the last change in February....  Phoned my dealer and an oil change is £159 apparently, but visiting the Skoda website I can book an oil change for £99....  Anyone else had this ?  Hefty price for an oil change.... 

At the same time I asked about the rear differential service interval (4x4) and was told it is sealed for life.  I wondered if anyone could confirm or otherwise if this is the case ?  I have no faith in what I am getting told following my Haldex fault that I recently posted about...!  Thanks

You will not find many cars these days that have an oil change interval for a differential or even a gearbox for that matter, unless it is an auto. I suspect this is because most of the time the gearbox or diff will outlast the rest of the car on the factory oil, and if it doesn't then who cares because the warranty will be over and done with by then so a nice little earner for the service department :D

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TasMan said:

At the same time I asked about the rear differential service interval (4x4) and was told it is sealed for life.  I wondered if anyone could confirm or otherwise if this is the case ?  I have no faith in what I am getting told following my Haldex fault that I recently posted about...!  Thanks

As jafo points out above, the Haldex coupling and rear differential although bolted together are seperate components with seperate oil.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, trygve123 said:

I Changed haldex. rear diff and front diff. rear diff was not that bad. haldex with filter. discoulored oil. front diff oil was really dark.

What mileage did you do the diffs ?

Haldex - I am binning Skoda's advice and changing the oil and filter at much shorter intervals to avoid another pump failure.

• 2 years later...

Hello guys,

can you tell me a rough estimate of oil volumes in the rear diff and in the angle gearbox (4x4 yeti)? Just to know how much to buy.. Couldn't find in anywhere, including the workshop manual. Thanks!