Service Interval advice - MkII Superb 2009

Hi Folks,

I have a 2009 Mk II Superb with approx. 105k miles on the clock. Does anyone know what the recommended service interval should be between full servicing? i.e. all oils, filters, etc. I normally try to get the car serviced every 5k miles but wanted to check as it's over the 100k on the clock. 

Thanks folks. 

John 

5 hours ago, JohnMurphy said:

Hi Folks,

I have a 2009 Mk II Superb with approx. 105k miles on the clock. Does anyone know what the recommended service interval should be between full servicing? i.e. all oils, filters, etc. I normally try to get the car serviced every 5k miles but wanted to check as it's over the 100k on the clock. 

Thanks folks. 

John 

Service every 8000 km(5000 miles) is a waste of money. Modern synthetic lubricants last far, far longer than mineral oils did back in the day. If your mechanic is telling you service it that frequently, you need a better mechanic.

I'm assuming it's diesel here.

Service schedule is:

• Oil/oil filter every 15000 km
  • Air & fuel filter every 90000 km
  • Cabin air filter every 60000 km or 2 years.
  • If you have a DSG, it needs a fluid and filter change every 60000 km
  • If you have 4x4, the Haldex unit needs a fluid and filter change every 60000 km

Timing belt depends on the engine fitted:

• PD engine is every 150000 km
  • First generation common rail (CBBB engine code) is every 180000 km
  • Second generation common rail (CFGB/CFFB) is every 210000 km

Timing belt tensioner is every 2nd timing belt, though most people would do it every time: it's not expensive and the labour is shared.

Brake fluid change is every 2 years.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, superbdreams said:

that's 130487.95miles... is that right. also isn't there a stipulation of "or four years" ?

The 4 years thing is UK only. For some reason the UK owner specified a different schedule to everywhere else. Also, UK is one of the few countries worldwide that's still using miles.

I agree with chimaera, that oil quality has improved through the time and modern synthetic lubricants last far. Still I don't agree, that 15 000km interval is enough for everyone. First it's very important to understand your location weather and driving conditions and how many cold starts do you have during the day:

a) If you are "german style" heavy commuter on highway and your daily distance is more than 200-300km, then Long Life interval with 30 000km and more is enough for you. This applies also city taxis, where in some options the car is in operation 24/7 and the engine will not cool down.

b) If you are average user with 20 000+km per year and located in region, where weather is not so cold (like UK), then 15 000km interval should be enough.

c) And now my case, I live in Nordic region Estonia, where we have weather condition from +30 to even -30 degrees celsius in some cases. As this is my own car (no leasing), then I must be stupid, to use Long Life or even 15 000km interval, as I have so many cold starts and my daily travel distance is max 30-50km. My oil interval is 10 000km (6200 miles) and I use only official dealer recommended Castrol Edge FST 5-W30 oil. As I do oil change by myself, then total cost for change (oil 40€+ filter 5€) is nothing compared to how much I benefit (better health of engine and minimal wear, DPF last much longer etc). 

If you have leasing car and you'll give it back anyway, then it's doesn't matter, how long the interval is. But when you want't to own a car after leasing and warranty period in many years, then shortening oil interval is the easiest thing to do, to improve reliability.

Edited by Lutz
  • Like 1

Just my thoughts on the Haldex interval - I wouldn't leave it any more than 30,000km for a Haldex oil change.  I had mine serviced to the Skoda schedule and the pump still burnt out.  Of course, they don't change the filter as its not on the Skoda system, nor do they remove and clean the pump strainer as the 'job cost' is so tight it doesn't allow for removing the pump.  Get your independent to change the oil and Haldex filter (assuming Gen 4) and remove the pump and clean the strainer at the same time.