Advice on cornering lights

Should my lights turn with the steering ?

My 2014 Octavia Vrs has bi-xenon headlights and when I start the car the headlights move down, outwards, inwards, then centralise, I have messed about in the settings but they still don’t seem to move around corners, 

i assumed like other cars they would and at low speed one fog light would come on,

any advice would be grateful 

Ah right, thanks for the reply, I’m not that bothered but just thought I should be able to see them turn, my dad has a Passat CC and when I drive that it’s quite easy to see them move.

thanks again 

You will definitely notice the main headlights turning as you corner, they are more noticeable on more acute bends, slowish 90 degree twists at night really show the lights moving with the steering. My foglights are enabled to illuminate as I turn and frankly, you can do without them. Again it's more noticeable at slow speeds. I enabled HBA and that is definitely a really useful feature and works very accurately. I wouldn't pay £100s for it as a OEM  option though. 

I have AFS Bi-Xenons on my SE Sport and I can say you can definitely notice them moving, but it's not as obvious as you would think.

Firstly, make sure you're not on eco-mode or individual mode where the lights are set to Eco, as they won't work the way you think.

Secondly, "cornering lights" use your fog lights, which at low speeds, is still clearly visible. Another way to test, is to pop into reverse when facing a building with glass doors etc.

How I test mine, is make sure it's in Normal, or Sport (better results from my tests) and whilst doing approx 5-10, turn side to side and you will see your light pattern follow. 

Another way to test, is watch your lights as you pull up behind another car. Mine right lamp usually moves left and up slightly after a second or so.

Yes I just activated High beam assist but haven’t had chance to test it out yet, 

ive only had the car a week so maybe I’m not noticing the lights turn because I’ve mainly been in lit areas, I will have to take it down a dark twisty country lane.

thanks for your reply 

Only ever notice the lights moving on one of the sharp but sweeping S bends out in the country on my way home, it also dives down and back up so you see the lights on the road more - you have to have changed the steering angle pretty quickly in the opposite direction whilst going a reasonable speed (40mph+) to really notice anything i think. No cornering fogs set up on the vRS.

The lights in our R do the same albeit full LED but it doesn't have cornering fogs (it has no fogs due to the rads/intercoolers), it actually has lights in the side of the headlights that come on - they do work well, as i've never really liked seeing one fog light 'ping' on, on other cars.

• Like 1

They do move, set them to sport and then you’ll see them move. Light switch must be in Auto, not On. In Eco mode (or individual with the lights in Eco) they don’t move. I didn’t notice the effect much until one day I got in the Citigo and they didn’t bend around corners and it looked odd!

Thanks for the replies, we have a few dark twisty roads near us so I will have to give it a try once I get chance, like I said I’ve only had the car just over a week so not had chance to test these things out and learn all the settings, 

it’s a bit more complex than my old mk1 Octavia :-) 

thanks again 

I  observe ,anecdotally, that 80% of drivers don't use their  indicators. 

Sometimes the single fog light coming on gives a useful indication, especially at mini roundabouts. 

• Like 1

Yes that’s true, my friend has vcds so if I decide I want them he can probably set it up,

just been out in car in sport mode and yes I can just see the lights turn when I turn sharp 

The moving headlights I don't feel is as noticeable when you're on roads with street lamps, but it's very beneficial when you're on an unlit country road, you're lights do guide you through the bend.

I enabled the cornering fog lights on my vrs, but I found them to be more a distraction than a help. I'd put the cut off speed at 10mph so it was only coming on at low speed manoeuvres, but I always found myself looking down into the patch illuminated by the fogs, than concentrating on where I was heading. Needless to say, that feature got disabled again rather quickly.