110 TSi 3 cyl engine

Excision

Ok, I have a Fabia Redline which is generally excellent, but.... the only thing I don’t like about it is the throttle response. The power is really impressive but I HATE how the accelerator is really sluggish at very low revs, even in low gears. When pulling away from standstill if you put your foot down there is a very notable delay (1 - 2 second) before it spins up and gets going. 

Is this a characteristic of the 3 pot turbo motor? It feels like it has a really large, heavy flywheel to overcome before it rips off down the road.

how do others feel about the responsiveness of the 1.0 turbo motor?

E.

It’s not turbo lag. The engine is overly sluggish at very low revs, which I find very odd and frustrating. Even a normally aspirated engine would have more oomph down low. I think it might just be a weird characteristic of the engine.

cheers,

E.

Until turbo kicks in, this engine has no usable torque in low revs. Same is with the 1.2tsi, slightly better but not that far from the 1.0tsi. This is where those 1-2 seconds are wasted. 

The oem none linear throttle response map of the accelerator peddal does not help either. Try a peddal box if it helps. 

5 minutes ago, krigl said:

Until turbo kicks in, this engine has no usable torque in low revs. Same is with the 1.2tsi, slightly better but not that far from the 1.0tsi. This is where those 1-2 seconds are wasted. 

The oem none linear throttle response map of the accelerator peddal does not help either. Try a peddal box if it helps. 

Cool - thanks for the reply

Yeah, I get that and I can boot it with the rest of us. I’ m talking about when you first put your foot down from about or just above idle and it does F-A for 1 to 2 seconds, then goes zoom. It’s not turbo lag or me having an overly light right foot. There is serious inertia at idle, possibly due to a heavy flywheel.

It is definitely turbo lag you are describing. 

I found the same with the Focus 1.0tsi, below certain revs there is nothing.

I even found a Kia 1.6 diesel I rented last year lacked low down torque and needed a few revs on board for best progress and economy...seriously a diesel!

My 1.4 offers some low down off boost torque so it is possible to pootle around at 1200 rpm on a tiny throttle, but even then if I want to accelerate I have to be patient or change down.

Big risk taking any new WLTP VW Group engine car and then doing any Non Approved Engine Management Modifications before you even know if VW Group / Skoda have Co-cked up yet again.

Invalidate a Manufacturers Warranty before knowing if you might need the Warranty. 

As some are having issues right now with 1.5 TSI 150 ps Manuals.

Totally aggree... Do at your own risk... Do not hold me responsible by any means. 

My car is still in warranty, but it is completely tuned... At least I am now enjoying the drive on a daily basis. I got fead up with warranty work that in the end did no improvement on the car, just a lot of wasted time for me if I look back now. I am lucky to get the last good engine before another eco standard further complicates the next generation engines. And I am also happy that I listened to myself and chose the 1.2tsi instead of the 1.4tdi 3pot and its coolant fiasco.

You mean your cars warranty is still in the period they provide it for but might well be invalid.  That is the gamble you took.

Simply clever though to see what the MY19 engines with whatever gearbox are actually performing like rather than go by the discontinued ones from pre WLTP 

that the issues with are now getting more widely known.

• Like 1

Strange, I'm the opposite. Find the car very nippy even from standstill. I've a DSG and there is a very noticeable difference between 'D' Mode and 'S' mode in terms of responsiveness though.

I came from a 1.4TSI 170Bhp DSG Golf GT and found that had much worse turbo lag even though it had a super as well as regular turbo and the super was supposed to bring more low-end torque.

• Like 2

^^^ It was a Fat Car and they did then go to 180- 185 ps on Lighter Cars, Ibiza, Fabia, Polo, A1.

supposedly for the Euro 5 emissions all was well as they sorted the Water Pump / Super Charger Clutch and the Timing Chain Tensioner etc. 

only they never did really.

• 2 months later...

I find my redline petrol fine tbh if thees a lag welly it it soon kicks in , unfortunately, you can't have everything i had an audi a3 running 252bhp stage 2 2.0 lump 55 reg had to warm it up and don which put 15 minutes on my work run and about 25-60 a week depending on the dipstick in front doing 22mph so bit the bullet part exed towards my redline and paid cash for the rest some months 35 lol huge difference in running so a little lag tbh ain't that bad

On 19/11/2018 at 21:50, Skoffski said:

You mean your cars warranty is still in the period they provide it for but might well be invalid.  That is the gamble you took.

Simply clever though to see what the MY19 engines with whatever gearbox are actually performing like rather than go by the discontinued ones from pre WLTP 

that the issues with are now getting more widely known.

I’ll be happy to give my thoughts after a day/week/month etc after picking mine up March 1st, though it’ll be a 95ps variant.