Tuning box for TDI VRS

I know this been covered a million and one times here and I have been reading through all the old posts. But I'm going to ask again just to see has there been any changes. 

First off I know a re-map is the best option.

But will the tuning box actually make a notable difference to the power in a TDI Vrs 184bhp. 

For example will it make it make it quicker then a standard vrs mkIII TSI 220 or 230bhp?

Do it, you will not regret it. I had a DTUK tuning box on my MK7 GTD (so same engine) and made a huge difference, upped the torque and Power making the car more fun and relaxing.

Edited by Gizmo
non freedom

55 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

the map for the DTUK vRS TDI is 236bhp. The biggest difference is in torque. It gets hard trying to put it all on the tarmac. Just past one year with mine and the pedal box which was worth every penny.

What exactly is the pedal box?

Having the pedal box goes hand in hand with the dtuk box.

You do need to do a little bit if experimenting with the pedal box to get it to suit your driving style. It's not just a case of plugging it in, turning it to 11 and away you go. Do that and all you'll get is wheelspin and/or torque steer.

I've got my dtuk box on sport plus plus 2 and how the car acts is controlled by the pedal box.

I went out with my car and tried it on all 21 settings in different weather conditions to see if I was able to find an 'all round' setting.

Being honest, I've found sport minus 2 to be the best setting in all conditions. As you could even with no adaptions, wheelspin can still induced if you mash your foot to the floor, but for day to day driving situations (like trying to get out of a junction) it copes very well.

When it's dry, sport plus does get used if I was going out for a blast, but I've found it a little too on off for normal driving.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tunedude said:

Having the pedal box goes hand in hand with the dtuk box.

You do need to do a little bit if experimenting with the pedal box to get it to suit your driving style. It's not just a case of plugging it in, turning it to 11 and away you go. Do that and all you'll get is wheelspin and/or torque steer.

I've got my dtuk box on sport plus plus 2 and how the car acts is controlled by the pedal box.

I went out with my car and tried it on all 21 settings in different weather conditions to see if I was able to find an 'all round' setting.

Being honest, I've found sport minus 2 to be the best setting in all conditions. As you could even with no adaptions, wheelspin can still induced if you mash your foot to the floor, but for day to day driving situations (like trying to get out of a junction) it copes very well.

When it's dry, sport plus does get used if I was going out for a blast, but I've found it a little too on off for normal driving.

I currently have just the pedal box on my petrol (originally had the tuning box on my previous GTD's) but for this as i am going to keep it longer want to get it remapped. When im driving on my own i dont mind the harshness of the pedal box but the misses moans when its on haha especially around town. 

Not really found a decent setting yet to be honest.. Although when switched off the car feels flat without it. Might try your settings for a few days and see how that goes. 

Edited by Madmax889

3 hours ago, Madmax889 said:

I currently have just the pedal box on my petrol (originally had the tuning box on my previous GTD's) but for this as i am going to keep it longer want to get it remapped. When im driving on my own i dont mind the harshness of the pedal box but the misses moans when its on haha especially around town. 

Not really found a decent setting yet to be honest.. Although when switched off the car feels flat without it. Might try your settings for a few days and see how that goes. 

That's it.  On the Sport plus or the standard sport, it is a bit either on or off when you use the accelerator.

That was why I spent the time to go through all the options to find a good compromise, which proved to be the standard sport minus 2. The Sport Plus mode is a bit too severe for road driving and I never felt too much of a difference with the city mode.

Like you say, when I've switched it off after driving with it, you really do notice the difference in how the car reacts to the pedal movement.

It would be a good feature if you could have the option through the settings to adjust the pedal sensitivity on screen, rather than having to introduce a 3rd party component.

40 minutes ago, tunedude said:

That's it.  On the Sport plus or the standard sport, it is a bit either on or off when you use the accelerator.

That was why I spent the time to go through all the options to find a good compromise, which proved to be the standard sport minus 2. The Sport Plus mode is a bit too severe for road driving and I never felt too much of a difference with the city mode.

Like you say, when I've switched it off after driving with it, you really do notice the difference in how the car reacts to the pedal movement.

It would be a good feature if you could have the option through the settings to adjust the pedal sensitivity on screen, rather than having to introduce a 3rd party component.

Would be great to incorporate that.

Oh just a thought do you drive in sport/individual mode or normal mode? 

I did notice that in sport because the car sharpens the throttle it makes it more jerky around town than if I was driving in normal mode with the pedal box activated. 

3 minutes ago, Madmax889 said:

Would be great to incorporate that.

Oh just a thought do you drive in sport/individual mode or normal mode? 

I did notice that in sport because the car sharpens the throttle it makes it more jerky around town than if I was driving in normal mode with the pedal box activated. 

I've got it in individual mode, just so I can pick and choose which setting I have on (or off).

Can't say I've noticed a difference in how the car feels other than the steering wheel and engine noise generator. 

theres currently 10% discount available on all items on our website, a further 5% applied at basket it 2 items are bought together and this increases to 10% if 3 items are bought :) 

https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/tuning/car/skoda/octavia-iii-from-2012-onwards/2-0-tdi-rs-184ps135kw-1968-ccm/

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, tunedude said:

I've got it in individual mode, just so I can pick and choose which setting I have on (or off).

Can't say I've noticed a difference in how the car feels other than the steering wheel and engine noise generator. 

Really really need to play a little more with it lol 

On 19/11/2018 at 20:58, 2SHEA said:

I know this been covered a million and one times here and I have been reading through all the old posts. But I'm going to ask again just to see has there been any changes. 

First off I know a re-map is the best option.

But will the tuning box actually make a notable difference to the power in a TDI Vrs 184bhp. 

For example will it make it make it quicker then a standard vrs mkIII TSI 220 or 230bhp?

Yes it will make it quicker, it could well also overfuel the car (like it did on our Yeti).

There really is no reason to pick a box over a reputable remap:

• They are ALL detectable if a dealer really want to look hard enough for proof
  • They are no cheaper
  • They are not as good
  • If adding and removing the map is important to you then several companies can supply you with a ‘code reader / box’ (yes I know it is a bit more than that) so you can swap between the standard file and remap whenever you like.
  • If you are putting it on a company car then is it worth risking your job over? ... yes it’s happened!

The ONLY benefit of a box over the remap is you can sell it on again... which TBH will be the best move you made.

I have used 3 boxes and 4 remaps, when the boxes were sub £100 (s/h) there was a valid argument for them, when they are as near as damn it the price of a good remap there is not!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Yes it will make it quicker, it could well also overfuel the car (like it did on our Yeti).

There really is no reason to pick a box over a reputable remap:

• They are ALL detectable if a dealer really want to look hard enough for proof
  • They are no cheaper
  • They are not as good
  • If adding and removing the map is important to you then several companies can supply you with a ‘code reader / box’ (yes I know it is a bit more than that) so you can swap between the standard file and remap whenever you like.
  • If you are putting it on a company car then is it worth risking your job over? ... yes it’s happened!

The ONLY benefit of a box over the remap is you can sell it on again... which TBH will be the best move you made.

I have used 3 boxes and 4 remaps, when the boxes were sub £100 (s/h) there was a valid argument for them, when they are as near as damn it the price of a good remap there is not!

Great post, 100% agree.  

• Thanks 1