Looking to buy a used Yeti

Dunkf

Hi everyone, newbie here

Im looking at a Yeti as My next car. I currently have a Peugeot 308 estate 136 bhp Deisel. I know a Yeti isn’t that similar, but it does share the moveable rear seats, something I use quite often.

my questions are. . . Quite a few!

i keep looking at the 170bhp 4x4. variants. Around £5000-£6000

do the members here think they are a good buy and are there any issues to look out for?

thanks in advance

Welcome.

Service History and maintenance would be one thing.  Serviced as per Guidelines / Schedule not 'Full Main Dealer Servicing' if not serviced to Guidelines.

So Haldex serviced and working as should be.

Invoices & receipts.

'The VW Emissions Fix',  is it done and when done and is the 24 month peace of mind Warranty / Guarantee type thing running.

http://skoda.co.uk/dieselinfo

Edited by Offski

Yes, the emissions scandal has been a real bummer for the Euro 5 vehicles with the fix, where being applied, in some cases leading to problems.

If I was buying again and wanted more power I'd be looking at the 150 PS Euro 6 but realise those may be more than your budget allows. 

• Like 1

Great choice if you can find the right one. I woukd try and avoid DSG. Ideally full service history. If the car has had the 'fix' would recommend remap from a reputable company to avoid any of the associated problems that are well documented on this excellent forum. I am very happy with my yeti 170. Owned for over 4 years now, really is a pleasure to drive. Lots of torque, surprisingly economical, used daily for work. No plans to change. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will try and answer. There's lots of very informed folks on this site who will be happy to offer advice.

You’re right, this really seems like a good forum. Sensible and honest info.

i think a 150 or 170 bhp is a must as My current car is reasonably quick, even at only 136 bhp it has a bucket load of torque and I think I’d miss the pulling power if I got a 110bhp Yeti.

has anyone had any major issues with the 4x4 drivetrain?

The haldex 4x4 system is used right across the skoda/vw/seat/audi range and as far as I am aware is very reliable. Just had the oil and filter changed on mine. Haldex oil service is not always flagged up on service schedule. Also had cam belt changed so should be good up to 100k miles now. Plenty of info on haldex on this site.

Edited by Daveyeti

Wow thanks everyone for so much info, such a great forum to be a part of.

looks like I’ve been convinced that a Yeti is a good idea.

At the moment My car is fine, but is due a cam belt soon ish, therefore I don’t have to rush into buying. 

I think after reading all Your comments that buying a Yeti is preferable to spending any more money on My current car, which is heading towards almost value-less!

My search starts here!. . . . 

Thanks

Sorry everyone. . . More questions!

Are any of the cars’ settings accessed through the stereo?

i always upgrade the stereo/speakers and on occasion some cars need Their original stereo to access certain functions.

thanks again

21 hours ago, pinkpanther said:

Tyres have lasted well and I've typically seen ~35-45k from a set of 4. I originally switched between the OEM 17" alloys / summer tyres to 16" steel rims / winter tyres, but since discovering Cross Climate's have stuck with these on the OEM 17" alloys. I've just switched out my fronts with the newer Cross Climate+. The rears still have 4mm.

Ive just put cross climates on mine last week. How many miles did your fronts last. I understand that the new + ones may last a little longer

3 hours ago, Yetiflute said:

Ive just put cross climates on mine last week. How many miles did your fronts last. I understand that the new + ones may last a little longer

I've covered 35k miles since putting on a full-set of the original Cross Climates.

The front tyres were down to 2-3mm and the rears still have 4mm remaining. I elected to have 2 new (Cross Climate+) fitted to the rear and the old rear tyres are now on the front.

Despite Michelin's claims of grip being sustained all the way down to the UK minimum legal tread depth limit I'd noticed a marked drop-off in front end grip, as the tyres worn down to 2-3mm. The outer shoulders were more heavily worn, despite both tyre pressure and tracking being spot on and minor cracking was beginning to become evident (in between the tread blocks).

Very happy with these tyres and hoping for the same again, if not a little better, from the newer Cross Climate+'s. 

Suspect I'll be looking to change the remaining 2 after another ~10k miles.

Thanks that is very useful info indeed re your cross climates. I’m more than delighted to have put them on. The ones I replaced were far from worn but a very grateful Yeti owner at the other end of village took them off my hands.

The 1.6tdi Greenline was actually a very good car. It averaged 58mpg on the computer, and had reasonable power. The car went back to the lease company at 45K miles on the original tyres. Fronts had at least another 5k left and rears were only half worn.

I had no issues with the engine until it had the emissions fix which made it noisier and less powerful at low revs. It was also doing a regeneration much more noisily and often.

We still run a fabia with that engine (unfixed) and it is really nice to drive.

However I would not consider one which has had the fix!

Edited by kenfowler3966
  • Like 2

Had a set of Cross-Climate+ fitted yesterday. Was going to try the new Continentals, but the tyre fitting place I've used for years hadn't got them on the system and said it was harder to get hold of them since Continental had moved their UK operation out of the country. Seemed a bit strange to me but opted for the Michelins instead. They still had to order them in and took a couple of weeks.

First impressions are that the ride is firmer, though this might be down to the pressures they set them at, will check them, and they are as quiet as the Michelin Primacys on before. Steering lighter, as is usual with new tyres, but again, maybe partly due to pressures.

• Like 1

On 25/11/2018 at 18:45, kenfowler3966 said:

The 1.6tdi Greenline was actually a very good car. It averaged 58mpg on the computer, and had reasonable power. The car went back to the lease company at 45K miles on the original tyres. Fronts had at least another 5k left and rears were only half worn.

I had no issues with the engine until it had the emissions fix which made it noisier and less powerful at low revs. It was also doing a regeneration much more noisily and often.

We still run a fabia with that engine (unfixed) and it is really nice to drive.

However I would not consider one which has had the fix!

I've only owned one 1.6 common rail engined car - a late model Roomster.

Prior to this I owned a 1.9 TDI Roomster and expected the newer engine to be much more economical. In practice however it actually returned very similar MPG, although was considerably more refined than the earlier PD engine. I did miss the lowdown grunt of the older engine though and found the common rail engine had a (relative) lack of low down torque and almost 'petrol like' driving characteristics.

MPG stats from 10k miles of Roomster ownership: Fuelly

No doubt the addition of a particulate filter (and cheat software) impacted on the common rail engine, whereas the earlier PD engine was not similarly encumbered.

MPG of 58 sounds great from a Yeti ( I never got near this from my Roomster):thumbup:

Edited by pinkpanther

I have a 170 that has had the fix and I also have years of owning VAG diesels. The most important things to consider for me are;

Don't get a 170 to drive around the doors, the combination of the fix and the short trips will bring problems with DPF and EGR systems.

Use premium diesel or, as I do, dose every tank with Millers or Archoil, this will keep the fuel, inlet and outlet systems healthy.

Try and do regular, decent journeys that allow for regens and get the engine up to temp and working and it will be one of the best engines you own.

The "Fix" on the EA189 2 ltr 170 is an alteration to fuel inlet, ignition and exhaust timing so it doesn't really suffer from some of the problems others have. Mine has 46K on the clock, walks through MOT's, returns 44 mpg easily and pulls like a train. The Haldex 4 wheel drive is awesome and it has all the toys because it is an L&K, I love it.

• Like 1

Great info, thanks

i drive 20 miles each way to work, in a ‘spirited’ manner, so that shouldn’t be a problem.

I’d go for a 140bhp, but the torque figures are a bit down from what I’m used to so a 170 would be ideal. However, they seem a bit thin on the ground at the moment.

my search continues 

thanks again

Maybe thin on the ground as owners are keeping 'good ones'.   So for those offered for sale you had best do due diligence. 

Get all the history you can, Service & Warranty, Fix or no fix, invoices, check past MOT history and advisories etc.  Buyer beware.

Maybe put a 'Wanted ad' in Briskoda.

21 hours ago, Offski said:

Best check and reset and reset the TPMS if not reset when the tyres / pressures changed.

Only reason the TPMS might not of gave a warning is because no difference detected on a single corner from the last setting of the TPMS.

As I suspected, the pressures were way over, 2.5 bar all round, rather than the 2.2 front and 2.1 rear that I usually use, except when I have a bit more load on board. reset them at work so should be a smoother ride home and put a bit more weight into the steering.

Thanks for the reminder, I was walking away from the car when I remembered your post and went back and reset the TPMS! 

Sorry to the OP that this has gone off topic. Good luck with your search for a 170.

Edited by VAGCF

8 hours ago, Dunkf said:

Great info, thanks

i drive 20 miles each way to work, in a ‘spirited’ manner, so that shouldn’t be a problem.

I’d go for a 140bhp, but the torque figures are a bit down from what I’m used to so a 170 would be ideal. However, they seem a bit thin on the ground at the moment.

my search continues 

thanks again

I struggled to find a 170 elegance so bought a 140 changed the front brakes and had it remapped to 170+hp and 420nm. Goes like a train easily as fast as a 170.

If you get a diesel I believe it needs to be driven like you've stolen it and no short (under 10 miles) journeys.

• Like 1

Or just driven within UK NSL's will do as long as that is getting the engine & oil and components up to temp and doing some miles and not sitting about too much ticking over, 

because Euro 5 & 6 Diesel Taxi's / Private Hire cars might get driven like they are stolen or owned by someone else but still have DPF issues.