Rear windscreen wiper issue

Skodaq

If it comes on when the front wipers are activated by the rain sensor on the windscreen then they are set on auto.

You can disable it to manual control on car setup.

Personally don't like the auto setting, front or back as it can come on with very little rain and cause smearing.

12 minutes ago, R1200R said:

If it comes on when the front wipers are activated by the rain sensor on the windscreen then they are set on auto.

You can disable it to manual control on car setup.

Personally don't like the auto setting, front or back as it can come on with very little rain and cause smearing.

Thanks for the heads up R1200R. Yes, I completely agree with you re the auto setting as I have often wondered why the wipers came on when the screen was hardly wet and have definitely had the smearing problem!

5 minutes ago, Grumpy Geaser said:

As above. Can also come on when reverse gear selected. Should also watch out if using auto in freezing conditions - blades can freeze to screen overnight and try to wipe in morning while stuck

Will definitely not have it on in auto setting in freezing weather then.

Night before de-icer on the glass, or clear the ice / frost before starting car and putting on the rear heated screen or front one.

Also be aware when freezing and you are trying not to use the wipers that if you scoot the rear not icy window there will be that wee auto scoosh of the front screen.

That is worth disabling.  IMO.

PS

Another thing is 'Park the wipers in maintenance setting' ignition off and flip the wiper stalk. 

122586759_1.jpg.e442690a1f581efb5b71d072856d247b.jpg

466758.jpeg.0b91a211c1123aa5267703e7a9ca8773.jpeg

Edited by Offski

2 hours ago, Grumpy Geaser said:

As above. Can also come on when reverse gear selected. Should also watch out if using auto in freezing conditions - blades can freeze to screen overnight and try to wipe in morning while stuck

Has the R&D gone backwards on this too? On my 9 year old Golf the auto wipers, (front and rear) don't activate until the car hits 10mph or the stalk switch is reset (off - on) by the driver...……..

After reading through this Karoq forum I'm starting to have doubts about my imminent order placement...…..

You set the car up to your own preference. Rear wipe only works when you select reverse so you turn rear wipe auto off. And if you do not want auto wipe switch intermittent wipe on on top of the stalk pull stalk down for off

3 hours ago, Berisford said:

Has the R&D gone backwards on this too? On my 9 year old Golf the auto wipers, (front and rear) don't activate until the car hits 10mph or the stalk switch is reset (off - on) by the driver...……..

After reading through this Karoq forum I'm starting to have doubts about my imminent order placement...…..

This is still the case for the front wipers.

The rear wiper won't turn on automatically without the front wipers being active (i.e. physically in motion), so sleep well!

2 hours ago, skoda1982 said:

You set the car up to your own preference. Rear wipe only works when you select reverse so you turn rear wipe auto off. And if you do not want auto wipe switch intermittent wipe on on top of the stalk pull stalk down for off

That's not the case on all models.

There are two features for the rear wiper.

1) With the front wipers turned on, or with the rain sensor on the windscreen detecting rain, when reverse gear is engaged, the rear wiper will automatically operate.

This feature has been around for ages and was on my 2007 Octavia.

But now we have an additional (more recent) feature...

2) When driving forward, and with the front wipers turned on / in operation, at certain speeds, the rear wiper will randomly wipe, even when the rear wiper stalk is in the off position.

The problem with this new feature is when the rear wiper operates, the rear screen isn't always wet i.e. doesn't need wiping. Therefore when it does wipe the glass it often smears, judders or scrapes across the dry / dirty glass.

As it's operation can at times appear completely random, those like me really don't like it. Luckily both features can be turned on/off via the cars infotainment system.

15 hours ago, silver1011 said:

That's not the case on all models.

There are two features for the rear wiper.

1) With the front wipers turned on, or with the rain sensor on the windscreen detecting rain, when reverse gear is engaged, the rear wiper will automatically operate.

This feature has been around for ages and was on my 2007 Octavia.

But now we have an additional (more recent) feature...

2) When driving forward, and with the front wipers turned on / in operation, at certain speeds, the rear wiper will randomly wipe, even when the rear wiper stalk is in the off position.

The problem with this new feature is when the rear wiper operates, the rear screen isn't always wet i.e. doesn't need wiping. Therefore when it does wipe the glass it often smears, judders or scrapes across the dry / dirty glass.

As it's operation can at times appear completely random, those like me really don't like it. Luckily both features can be turned on/off via the cars infotainment system.

If I untick the rain sensing wipers option, on my Kodiaq, it turns the rain sensing function of the front wipers off and they revert to intermittent wipers operation. So I can’t turn off the auto rear wiper operation on its own, not that I find it problem anyway.

Mine don't work if i put the wiper stalk to off. If i put stalk to intermittent rocker switch to 1 it's in auto if i switch rocker to 2/3/4 auto is off and just intermittent work. I have unticked rear wiper so not to wipe when reverse selected 

2 hours ago, skoda1982 said:

Mine don't work if i put the wiper stalk to off.

The random rear wipe only rears its ugly head when the front wipers are on or active, so with the wiper stalk in the 'off' position it won't do it. 

I didn't understand much of the rest :D

• Haha 1