Timing chain broken

chas654

Owners need to be aware that there were and still are with some 1.2 TSI chain tensioners and there is 'upgrade kits' and a TPI on them, 

so best check if their early 1.2 TSI's might be one with the OEM parts that can cause issues or failures.

Engine failure left VW owners picking up a surprise £6,700 bill _ Money _ The Guardian.mhtml

Skoda offers paltry ‘goodwill gesture’ for a £4,793 bill for a known fault _ Money _ The Guardian.mhtml

Edited by Offski

On 02/12/2018 at 20:43, Offski said:

Owners need to be aware that there were and still are with some 1.2 TSI chain tensioners and there is 'upgrade kits' and a TPI on them, 

so best check if their early 1.2 TSI's might be one with the OEM parts that can cause issues or failures.

Engine failure left VW owners picking up a surprise £6,700 bill _ Money _ The Guardian.mhtml

Skoda offers paltry ‘goodwill gesture’ for a £4,793 bill for a known fault _ Money _ The Guardian.mhtml

Hello Offski. Does the TPI mean that if my car is affected, skoda will install the upgrade kit for free ? Even if warranty is long gone ?

On 08/12/2018 at 08:29, AlaaBRH said:

Hello Offski. Does the TPI mean that if my car is affected, skoda will install the upgrade kit for free ? Even if warranty is long gone ?

Unfortunately no. TPI's are technical bulletins for the techs.

Edited by skoman
  • Thanks 1

Hello,

The TPI says that Optimised timing chain from engine number:
• CBZ* 462774 (Mlada Boleslav).
• CBZ* 714253 (Salzgitter)

I could never find the complete engine number in my car. Can anyone help me please ?

20181216_063048.jpg

Have you looked on the actual engine for any printed paper stick on labelling as that should detail the engine details a lot more that the car's build data sheet?

It is a Monte carlo 2012, built in october 2012..

The only thing i could find is a code on the timing chain cover 03f 109 210 d

Also I have the vin number, it says 

TMBEN25J5D3050224

What do you think please ?

Screenshot_20181216-182029_Gallery.jpg