AFS Headlight questions

Hi all, 2 quick qs really, wondered if someone could advise. 

1) what is the proper way of replacing AFS bulbs? I can’t get my hand into the passenger side one so I’m assuming I have to remove the wheel/arch

2) Indicators - does anyone have the wiring diagram or wire colours? I guess it’s a simple setup like 1 wire for DRL, another for indicator, a shared earth and the ecu sorts out the sequence of DRL/indicator transition. If it’s any different please let me know

Cheers :biggrin:

1- generally, bi-xenon bulbs don't fail. Will last way longer than a halogen bulb. There are other threads on forum as people have upgraded xenon bulbs

2- if you have AFS, all the front indicators will be led (multi-led strips?) so can only be replaced by dealer.

All lighting circuits work on a CAN-BUS system, so get power and a control signal. NEVER EVER cut or interfer with these wires

Thanks for the info, I have been following a few bulb related threads but never found an answer to my question. I just wonder what the dealer does if they change the bulbs. I’m pretty sure they don’t ram their hands into those tiny gaps hence my question about removing the wheel and arch. 

If you need to replace the DS3 xenon bulbs, the correct way is to remove the wheel arches first. This gives you better access to the rear of the headlight. There is another thread with the official workshop instructions. I believe you disconnect the connector to the DS3 bulb first before removing the bulb.

IMPORTANT! Make sure the ignition is off and all doors remain closed, light switch turned upward, i.e. NOT on AUTO or ON during the entire process as if the lights try to turn on, very high and dangerous igniter voltages are generated. Probably best to disconnect the battery.

OE Xenon bulbs have a rated life of 3000 hrs compared to 300 hours for halogens, generally said approx 4+ years. Upgrade bulbs will be different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers xman. I’m upgrading to Osram nightbreaker laser bulbs as according to some technical reviews and testing on YouTube they are the brightest available

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 09:11, drewellis said:

1) what is the proper way of replacing AFS bulbs? I can’t get my hand into the passenger side one so I’m assuming I have to remove the wheel/arch

instructions here

thanks to @dstev2000

Edited by JR RS
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2018 at 00:28, JR RS said:

instructions here

thanks to @dstev2000

Cheers but I’m confused now lol. What are the metal catches for inside the headlight? I had to undo them before I could remove the bulbs (squeeze together then lift and release). The bulb holder adaptor things didn’t come out with my bulbs. I don’t have SLA, just AFS - perhaps the instructions differ from my headlights...?

5 hours ago, drewellis said:

Cheers but I’m confused now lol. What are the metal catches for inside the headlight? I had to undo them before I could remove the bulbs (squeeze together then lift and release). The bulb holder adaptor things didn’t come out with my bulbs. I don’t have SLA, just AFS - perhaps the instructions differ from my headlights...?

Sorry buddy - I haven't actually changed the xenons myself, so I can't comment.

I don't believe there is a difference between SLA and non-SLA in terms of the xenon because they both list the same part numbers for that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JR RS said:

Sorry buddy - I haven't actually changed the xenons myself, so I can't comment.

I don't believe there is a difference between SLA and non-SLA in terms of the xenon because they both list the same part numbers for that.

No worries :) I’ve swapped now to Osram Nighbreaker Laser bulbs and they are just insane. So so bright! They aren’t a blueish colour like a lot of bulbs, but I’m not bothered about colour just want to see as well as I can lol. I’m not actually sure what SLA does so off I go to google it...

edit: I googled it, found a good video on YouTube of the SLA lights working on a drive through a dark forest with cars oncoming etc, looks a bit slow to react but no worse than the reaction times of HBA. I guess coding SLA via VCDS isn’t possible :shake: JR when you mention part numbers I guess you meant just the bulbs? 

Edited by drewellis

On 19/12/2018 at 23:16, drewellis said:

No worries :) I’ve swapped now to Osram Nighbreaker Laser bulbs and they are just insane. So so bright! They aren’t a blueish colour like a lot of bulbs, but I’m not bothered about colour just want to see as well as I can lol. I’m not actually sure what SLA does so off I go to google it...

edit: I googled it, found a good video on YouTube of the SLA lights working on a drive through a dark forest with cars oncoming etc, looks a bit slow to react but no worse than the reaction times of HBA. I guess coding SLA via VCDS isn’t possible :shake: JR when you mention part numbers I guess you meant just the bulbs? 

SLA has extra mirrors/motors and requires lane assist camera to work. Xenons, ballasts are same. Also the LED driver for DRL and Front blinkers are the same. Enclosure is also the same.  I checked because I was going to upgrade to LED but found out there is no damn space inside the headlight for anything. I don't think it would be good idea to drill holes for led drivers so I'm staying with Xenon :P 

• Like 1

On 19/12/2018 at 22:16, drewellis said:

I’m not actually sure what SLA does so off I go to google it...

SLA requires different headlamp units to AFS. The part no on the headlamp unit differs only by the last letter which is A for AFS, B for SLA, (none for halogen)

So to upgrade to SLA from AFS you need to spend well over £1000 for new headlamp units! Plus code them.

Maybe wiring is different too.

• Like 1

On 22/12/2018 at 15:50, JackySi said:

Also the LED driver for DRL and Front blinkers are the same. 

Actually that is incorrect - the LED driver IS different between SLA and non-SLA.

The xenon controller is the same.

non-SLA DRL controller: 8U0 941 329

SLA DRL controller: 4H0 941 329

non-SLA xenon controller: 8K0 941 597 B

SLA xenon controller: 8K0 941 597 B