1.5tsi manual worries

Hi all ordered a sportline plus 1.5 tsi as my next company car but I am getting worried about this problem with them pulling away lot of people complaining on the net should I contact the dealer and ask them or maybe change to a DSG 

comments would be greatfull 

You should definitely test drive a 1.5 manual. 

If it it seems OK to you, there's no problem. If it seems to display these low revs first/second gear symptoms when the engine is cold, then you have to decide whether to go for the DSG or whether you have confidence that Skoda's promised software solution in Q2 2019 is likely to do the trick.

I love my 1.4 DSG and would recommend it.

Two of my colleagues have the Arteon 1.5 DSG and are also happy but it is not a sports car. A more than capable everyday car and the DSG coupled with ACC is excellent. You will not get the best out of ACC with a manual car. 

Edited by vfrvrs

6 minutes ago, IJWS15 said:

Daughter has an A3 manual with this engine, not mentioned any problems.

I am sure it's a very nice engine.  I think it's also fine in the Octavia, so this appears to be an issue that is confined to a couple of models.

The problem seems to be that Skoda haven't quite got its installation in the Superb (MY19) or the Karoq (MY18?) right.  

• Sad 1

As an Octavia owner, i can confirm the 1.5 TSI in my car has got the same issues.  Initially raised concern with dealer 12 months ago, to be told there was no issue.  I have been back recently, as it is more noticeable in cooler conditions, to be told 'yes' Skoda are aware, and there may be a fix mid 2019!  That would be 18 months too late in my opinion. 

Prior the Octavia, i owned the 1.5 Audi A3, but needed a bigger car.  After being so impressed with the engine in the A3, i was made up, after i ordered the 1.4 Octavia and was told 'good news, the 1.5 is being rolled out. . . . . .  Would you like to change your order'

Worse decision ever.  It appears other customers of the VW Group are reporting the same issues and browsing the internet it is mentioned in many car reviews, but i don't think people realise how bad it can be in cold weather. Nor do people realise how bad VWG are handling the complaints.

Edited by Salp
  • Like 3

Thinking I was very lucky getting one of the last (May 2018) 1.4Tsi  engines.

Reminds me of an issue with a previous range of Octavia Scouts. At work we had a fleet of 18, 2014 year I think. Every  one was awkward to pull away in first gear with a tendency to stall if not given plenty revs. Worse when cold. To some extent you got used to it and it was liveable with but it's the only vehicle of dozens of cars and vans I've driven over the years where I regularly stalled it.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 1-5 TSI Octavia SEL manual since October 17.  One of the early ones I think.  No problems at all with pulling away but it has got hill start or stall control which may make a difference.  It came as part of the SEL package and was not something I particularly requested.  In fact, until I got used to it wanting to 'help', we had a slight difference of opinion but I am perfectly happy with it now and let it do the pulling away.

I road tested a 1.5 tsi manual Kodiaq today (although I'm looking at a superb) there is definitely some hesitation there when pulling away in 1st and then into 2nd with a little throttle input, but if you revved it a bit harder it seemed fine and if you just lifted the clutch with no throttle input  it seemed OK, it wasn't horrendous but after this test drive I think I'm looking at a dsg instead (subject to future road test) 

Unbelievably quiet engine though, you wouldn't know it was running if it wasn't for the rev counter.