Windshield washers checker valve

pa_ko

Anyone installed or know good guide on installation of checker valve?

Karoq and other newer Skodas have plastic washer tubes, so it is not simple installation as with rubber tubes. Anyone knows good way to fit plastic checker valve like this one to these plastic tubes?

https://www.amazon.com/SWF-Windshield-Washer-Check-Valve/dp/B001EMZW2O/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr3_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1546508118&sr=8-2-fkmr3&pi=AC_SX150_SY217_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=vw+washer+check+valve

In similar situations like this, I have always cut the pipe and used a hairdryer to soften the ends before offering up the valve. But I have to ask, why use a non return valve in this situation. Surely preventing the backflow of the washer fluid back into the tank increases the possibility of the tubes freezing?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

What does a £50 checker valve do?

Same as this I presume.. But why you would need one on a new car beats me.

211557CE-1EEA-4F23-971D-F6869E0F58A9.png

Edited by Kenny R

My thoughts exactly, last time I can remember fitting one of these was to my Hillman Imp in the mid 70’s. And that had a manual push washer pump system.

• Like 1

It’s a non return valve, stops the screen wash tubes draining back to the washer bottle. Handy in the 70’s when you had a manual pump to operate and took a good few pushes to prime the tubes before any water hit the screen. Fitting a non return valve managed to keep the the tubes full so less frantic pushing of pump was required. 

• Thanks 1

I see.

Whilst it does take a few seconds from pulling the wiper stalk for the washer fluid to reach the windscreen, the wipers don't start straight away either, its as if Skoda have programmed a slight delay into the operation of the wipers to account for the slight delay whilst the washer fluid completes it's journey.

Adding this valve will potentially get the water on the screen a second quicker, but without the wipers in operation I struggle to see the benefit.

Unless there is still more to this than I'm understanding?

Edited by silver1011

On 03/01/2019 at 19:26, silver1011 said:

I see.

Whilst it does take a few seconds from pulling the wiper stalk for the washer fluid to reach the windscreen, the wipers don't start straight away either, its as if Skoda have programmed a slight delay into the operation of the wipers to account for the slight delay whilst the washer fluid completes it's journey.

Adding this valve will potentially get the water on the screen a second quicker, but without the wipers in operation I struggle to see the benefit.

Unless there is still more to this than I'm understanding?

Unfortunately on my Style Edition they didn't program any intelligent delay so wipers start running on windshield as soon as washers are triggered.

The point of non-returnable or check valve is to prevent dry wiper run over windshield which is no. 1 cause of windshield scratches. Second point is safety, as you get your vision clear 1 sec faster.

Most upper class cars do have them now days. VW Audi BMW Toyota...

I found on other sites that Toyota/Lexys 85321-26020 guys perfectly to Skoda washer tubes. 

• Like 1

That's really strange. On my Kodiaq, which is very similar to the Karoq, there is a clear delay after pulling the stalk before the wipers move, which results in the wipers and washer fluid arriving at the same time.

On the same topic - what do you do when spring, summer and above 25 C temps arrive and there is ~ 4 litres of winter washer fluid in the system? Use it till it runs out?

Edited by Kole

Dilution with distilled water sounds good. Didn't know when I bought mine so it has (m)ethanol (not sure) and was a concentrate I had to dilute with distilled water. Thanks, Skoffski for a constructive solution!

Edited by Kole

Why distilled water? 

Fresh Mountain Spring water or tears of an angel or something from the tap would be good IMO.  

But then the public water supply in my home area is the same as is taken by Scotlands Biggest bottler of Water and sold all over the UK & the world'.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This thread is getting dafter by the hour .....

All it needs now is someone to say that washer nozzles cost £827+vat to replace and are not covered under warranty.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

W

2 hours ago, xman said:

This thread is getting dafter by the hour .....

All it needs now is someone to say that washer nozzles cost £827+vat to replace and are not covered under warranty.

Washer nozzles cost £827+vat to replace and are not covered under warranty.

• Haha 1

^^^ That must be fully fitted by a VW Trained & Qualified Technician taking 2 hours per nozzle.

At least there will be 2 years warranty parts and labour on Original parts.    I hope a bottle of VW Unicorns pi55 windscreen wash is included.

Edited by Skoffski
  • Haha 1

On 07/01/2019 at 20:14, Skoffski said:

I hope a bottle of VW Unicorns pi55 windscreen wash is included

So now it's Unicorn pi55 in the washer fluid and it's Piggie pi55 in the exhaust....

Growing up, I was always told Skodas were complete sh1te.  Not anymore it seems!   ;) 

• Like 1

Ok tested and found out that behaviour depends on length of stalk pull:

1. Short pull (let's say less than 1 second) wipers start immediately, and no spraying on windshield

2. Long pull (2 sec or so) spraying and then wipers start

So, no need for check valve - just have to pull stalk until water sprays 

I was used on other cars to just shortly pull the stalk and no need to keep it pulled for long time until washers start spraying. While not a big issue, I still find it safety risk to have to keep focused on stalk for 2 or more seconds in order to clear the sight...

The pump is only active when the stalk is pulled. This allows the driver to control the amount of washer fluid that ends up on the screen.

I prefer this method, over the one you talk about on previous cars. A short pull would result in the pump running for predetermined length of time, which on quite a few occasions would be overkill.