Aircon service?

cliveb

I bought a Jan 2017 Fabia SE about a year ago (from a main dealer).

Recently received an email from them advising me that the car is due for an air conditioning service.

I've never had a car before that needed a separate aircon service.

My wife's 2012 Fabia Mk2 (which she bought from new) has never been recommended for one.

So the question is this: is this really necessary and/or advisable, or is it just another way for dealers to squeeze a few more quid from us?

When my wife's 2015 Polo was last in for a service, it was mentioned along with brake fluid and wipers, though nothing was actually pushed, I've got a manifold set so check the performance of the AC on both our cars annually in the heat of summer.

Edit:- I used one these bombs that ECP sell last year to keep the bugs in check.

Edited by rum4mo

Before my Fabia 1.2 sel was due for its second service I rang main dealer to book it in and was suggested I got the Aircon serviced he did admit it was only advisory so I refused. While booking in my car the 2 ladies at the next desk were being frightened into an AC service and debug for £75 My car is due it's 4th service in April so may get AC checked. If you open the bonnet there is a sticker to tell which AC gas is installed mine is the old type the new version is more volatile and presumably more expensive to replace. Joe

PS The brake fluid needs to be replaced at its 3rd service.

It's a shame dealers won't  be more honest about these things,it makes me not want to trust them for anything.

Last month my elderly father was advised to have his Yeti wipers replaced at a Skoda dealership when in fact he'd had new ones fitted the day before at Halfords. 

'Scam' is probably slightly too strong a word but If the aircon is working then it doesn't need anything doing to it.  If there is a nasty smell coming from it this will almost certainly have been caused by the aircon not being turned on for a long period.

Garages/Dealers are always looking for a way to increase their profits - I can remember one dealer attempting to charge me for replacing the air in the tyres with nitrogen. They tried to convince me that it would provide a smoother ride! 

Air already has about 78% nitrogen in it so they are only trying to replace 22% of the air in your tyre.

Since the don't fill the tyres in a vacuum they cannot make the air in the tyre 100% nitrogen.

Don't wast your money.

Thanks AG Falco

10 hours ago, bertJ said:

'Scam' is probably slightly too strong a word but If the aircon is working then it doesn't need anything doing to it.  If there is a nasty smell coming from it this will almost certainly have been caused by the aircon not being turned on for a long period.

Garages/Dealers are always looking for a way to increase their profits - I can remember one dealer attempting to charge me for replacing the air in the tyres with nitrogen. They tried to convince me that it would provide a smoother ride! 

Got conned once several years ago into paying extra for nitrogen put into a new replacement tyre only happened once Joe