Help a new 2011 vrs owner

GT0161

Best dip the oil cold and tell us where it is, and dip it at operating temp.

Even take a picture of both if you can.

& be sure they used 5w 30 FS LL oil and get the report with the Oil weights.

Reason being that 5w 40 FS which is good has been known to be used by 'Technicians' as have Additives, 

but then your Dealership will be doing it by the TPI.....

Honest and competent as a Main Dealership can be. 

Fully trained Technicians and Service Desk staff.,  Not!

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

@Skoffski i specifically asked for 5/40 non long life she wrote it down on the sheet for the tech guys 

i dont believe they changed the oil filter will check when i finish work and also do a cold dip and post the result here i also want my 1.4 litres of oil i paid for and never received 

cheeky! 

I tried to google the part number for the platinum oil they have used nothing came up online. 

Edited by GT0161
Spelling

Doh,   that does not give you a true idea.   I thought you wanted an oil consumption test.

But if you are using too much oil and it has 5w 40 FS in then you are in trouble. 

It says Platinum on your Invoice, i think that is 5w 30 FS to VW 504/507.

PS

Your 1.4 litres of oil or more likely 1 litre will be there safe to top up the oil in 300km's time.  Or should be. Or in the boot.

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 2

@Skoffski so i shouldnt of said that then? Id rather it not burn oil so if just changing oil sorts it out im happy, 

they probably ignored me im just some dude who thinks he knows more then the techs well thatsxthe impression i got maybe i shouldnt of bothered and just let them crack on 

• Like 2

If you wanted it not to burn oil you should have done and oil and filter change and used 5w 40 FS and seen how it went.

But you spent money on a consumption test so you need to see how it is with the crap long life oil

Important thing is a proper consumption test.

doing  300lm / 186 miles and then multiplying the amount of oil to equate as 1,000 km is a nonsense and never accurate.

Sealing the Dipstick and Filler cap and sending the car off until it has done 1,200 miles or so is real world.

Once you use up 0.5 litres oil, then 1.0 litre and the oil gets used quick as it works harder with more than 1/4 used up. IME.

Edited by Skoffski

@Skoffski unfortunalty for me i have mild learning disablement 

and i get rather confused easily. 

Will just see how it goes with the guys at skoda if its cured and not burning oil to a bad extent i will just top up when needed for the forseeable future. 

Dont think i will ever purchase a skoda or any VAG car again. 

Iv have had nothing but trouble with vw/skoda

Appreciate your time @Skoffski

• Like 2

Chill.  Hopefully not an oil user, get the oil from them you paid for and then find a mechanic you can trust to do your servicing and maintenance.

They are good cars when they are working correctly.

Sadly too many people including technicians, mechanics and fitters have not grasped how these engines need treated.

Lots have been condemned as Oil Users or faulty when they were nothing of the sort. 

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

@Skoffski chilled haha,

so heres the pics of hot and cold both readings are above the cross hatch to the edge of the flat section also 

First two pics cold 

second two pics hot 

@Skoffski i can also confirm the oil filter was NOT replaced i still have my mahle filter :@

1FEA16A4-57E8-4763-89FC-F73E16CE44CD.jpeg

E8E0E660-5683-49A0-8306-48FDBE23664C.jpeg

DAA5C242-D95E-4361-8772-8300B828E6A3.jpeg

0121A6E9-45B3-4140-839E-EB0EF4F543EA.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not easy to tell with your pictures, but i put in 4 litres in a twin charger and that is on the flat above the crosshatch when stone cold and just above the crosshatch at around 80-90*oC indicated oil temp. 

Then i put a digital thermometer down the dipstick tube to be sure.

When i drain after putting in 4 litres i know how much comes out and the weight.  & the weight for a temperature of 1 litre.

but i will leave that for now.  Someone in the dealership might be reading. 

Lets leave them to do the report.

1783361617_DSCN4455.JPG.4605a3242c278dce4d05d6bb8a4ab39c(1).JPG.fd60d908c0bbf9e4780c638d834ff9be.JPG

Edited by Skoffski

Your dealer seems to display the same competences as ours did, and that means the outcome can go two ways. It can work for or against you.

For the test, the dipstick and cap need to be sealed over, and the oil filter and oil must be changed, they should be using standard VAG recommended parts to carry out the test as per the TPI given out by VAG. This means their own long life 5w30 oil and their own oil filter. No one should be able to tamper with the oil in any way once test is commenced lest someone artificially adjust the usage, hence the need for sealing off.

Ours, and I think many others, tended to use more oil as a consequence of short journeys at lower speeds than they did on a long run so the advice is to drive as you normally would, don't go on a round trip of 190 miles on the motorway just to get the distance in. Ours was also carried out over almost 400 miles from memory. My wife owns the car and is the main driver, and as a home carer almost all the journeys were short, low speed ones as she travelled from house to house between neighbouring villages. It was as a consequence of this usage that the oil consumption first became noticed, and similar driving ie normal usage saw the car fail the test spectacularly.

All mk2 Fabia vRS are fitted with timing chain, not belt. On some of the 2013 onwards vehicles owners did report issues with tensioners but the number is nowhere near that of the ones recording oil consumption or even DSG problems. There is no service as such for the timing chain and tensioners aside from replacing, so the service reception lady has had too many ice creams in this unseasonably warm weather.

If they were doing their job properly they would have provided the vehicle with the necessary software updates when sending it out on the test, including for the gearbox, which means they may have updated the DSG software to the latest version. If your problems persist then you can address that further down the line as the main priority at the moment is getting your car free of the oil consumption worries.

Good luck with the test, offski and others will keep you right. In fact, they could also keep the dealerships right, a fact the dealerships don't like.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fingers crossed for you.

As long as not too overfilled with oil maybe the rings will be ungummed and all will be well.

If the Dealerships Technician has overfilled the engine oil they are in deep sh!t really.

I would be ripping them a new one.

The drained weight at the start of the test should tell the true tale, and they should not try cheating that, or altering the figures...

?

Have you dipped it stone cold today?

If you can please do. 

Just pull out the dipstick after putting it in wiped clean and keep it vertical and see if you can see exactly where the level is.

• Like 1

Here is another test.

The one i do after a Cold Dip.

The Zabozuma.

I put the key in and start the engine and stop it right away and go dip the oil again before closing the bonnet.

I find that that level is exactly the same as if dipped after driving at least 10 miles and doing an At operating Temperature dip.

What happened was the oil was pumped up around the engine and into the filter housing.

Once i know cold and Zabozuma levels i never used to bother doing Hot / Operating temperature level dips.

& Just checked the Oil before going places.

• Like 1

@Jabozuma was (is) a member here that had Oil from his vRS analized.  (Zabozuma my typo.) Sorry.

He also had a AA or RAC resonder out that tried the usual test when the engine oil was increasing in quantity not decreasing.

Hold a flame near to the dipstick with oil on it to see just what borewash there might be and petrol in the oil.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/275077-fabia-vrs-engine-oil-top-up

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/288698-oil-use-in-fabia-vrs

Edited by Skoffski

Did a random warm dip today whilst i had time 

Also used a lighter to see if it ignited.... it didn't tryin to arrange the next step of the oil test struggling with work so will be over 300km i guess  

3961A4F7-56ED-41DD-BFF5-6223831A1A2D.jpeg

• Like 1

Best that it does do over 186 miles.

Over 600 makes sense really, or double that.   Messing about with it from fully topped up and less than a tank full of fuel use is a waste of time.

VW Group were the ones that suggested checking oil at 'fuel stops', not everyday for some peoples miles driven.

• Thanks 1

@GT0161

If or when you are told the Test has not been as per procedure just ask to see the procedure written down and the 300 km bit, 

then look for the New Oil & Filter bit.

Waiting in anticipation of seeing the weight of the oil dropped before you started the test, and the drained weight, and the miles covered.

Extra miles will not change the calculation or actual amount of how much oil used per '1,000 km', as long as you get it checked before 621 miles driven.

Remember, you are paying, you are the customer and the test report and results are your property.

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1