Windscreen scratching

Hi ...I've got a kodiaq that I bought new last June ..only done 3000 mainly dry miles 

Just wondered if anyone else has had windscreen "arc" scratching from the wiper blades? ...yes ...with over 45 years motoring behind me I do regularly clean my car and wiper blades 

I've had the wipers off a few times and absolutely no residue / grit etc present ...I'm now trying to check if the arm itself is catching the screen during the wipe process ...just wondered if anyone else had experienced this?

We’ve got two Kodiaq one having done over 7k miles and the other just over 4K, both have had no scratches on the windshield.

The previous Mercedes I had was terrible if anything remotely sharp touched the windshield it scratched.

No issues on mine, 6,000 miles.

Do you leave the wipers in Auto, or do you tend to leave them on manual constant mode, rubbing over a dry screen?

The amount of cars I see with their wipers on constantly, well after its finished raining :D

Assuming you now have clean (new) blades and a clean screen, if you find your screen is showing minor scratches then try using some car polish and an extra helping of Elbow Grease. By minor, I mean you can’t really feel them with your fingers.

T Cut May be too severe.

Last year I sorted some very minor scratching this way.

But I also bought some Jeweller’s Polish online for the next time. 

For a significant scratch you’ll be looking for pro help.

• 2 months later...
On 16/01/2019 at 18:33, Raymorris said:

No one??

Yes me! I keep the wipers clean but I got a scratch after about a month, then I noticed 2 more appeared in the last couple of weeks. I have no idea what’s going on - I’ve never had this happen on any previous car. Have you managed to soften the appearance with anything? 

Not as yet ...I've tried the usual mild scratch remedy with an ultra light abrasive (toothpaste...yes it works) ...but no joy on this occasion ...I'm loath to get the screen professionally polished as this can affect the structural integrity of the screen ...I'm also trying to see if it's possible to resin fill and smooth the scratch in the same way as a chip can be filled ...up to now no joy ...the screen companies all simply want to completely replace the screen ....I'll do this as a last resort in a couple of years time for it's first mot ...if I still own it by then ...

Could it be down to something as simple as the road networks not being maintained and cleaned as they used to be, and thus increasing the chances of either your windscreen being hit by debris or debris getting trapped under the wiper blade? 

Sonax Profline glass polish is pretty good but is best worked with a DA polisher (a full on orbital unit could cause some major problems!).  

I had some windscreen scratches on a new car, which the dealer wouldn't accept responsibility for (car collected Friday, noticed scratches Sunday, visited them Monday).  Mine were quite severe and I would surmise were caused by a watch clasp or similar.  I used the Sonax to minimise them but they were still visible in direct sunlight, if you knew they were there.  For lighter marring I think it would work a treat.  Mine had a heated windscreen too, no issues. 

Edited by penguin17

As I mentioned above ...I've been a car owner for about 45 years ....mostly brand new and regularly changed ...every 12 to 18 months ....I'm well versed on how to avoid and repair scratches etc ...but in all my time of ownership I've never had arc scratches like these ...like most others I regularly clean the blades etc etc etc ...car is garaged ...usually have two cars so low mileage ...this car is one year old on 31/5/18 and has only covered 3600 miles ...just think it's a bit strange and I'm convinced it's a structural problem with the wiper operation 

I should go back in school. Only car owner for 13 years. :blush:

Well if there is a mistake with the wiperblade arm, then it would definetly be a waste of money changing the windscreen. 

Or what do you think? Would be strange if it is the blade that causes it.

Edited by mlohnork

Yes ...that's why I don't even consider changing the screen at this stage ...I probably won't have the car when it's first mot is due but if I do I'll consider it then ....in the meantime I'm just gauging opinion from those people who have encountered this issue unexpectedly ....ie those others who actually care for their cars and clean the blades etc but have encountered this ...the numbers seem to be growing