Badge and Emblem replacement (Guide)

SkodaNZ

Did wonder what they’d be like. Managed to color match the blue reasonably well myself respraying OEM but can’t get the black right. Might give it another go some time but think I’ll probably just bite the bullet and pay through the nose at Kopacek eventually.

1C509EBD-F324-4AD9-80D1-5AF7116763E2.jpeg

I bought 4 badges from Kopacek. 2 x black VRS badges for front and rear and 2 bonnet and boot colour matched ones. Lovely badges but what a cost!! I seem to remember they were around £140. 

15 minutes ago, roaddetective said:

I bought 4 badges from Kopacek. 2 x black VRS badges for front and rear and 2 bonnet and boot colour matched ones. Lovely badges but what a cost!! I seem to remember they were around £140. 

Aye it’s mega isn’t it. Priced up two colour matched emblems, rear vRS and rear 4x4 lettering and it comes to like £120.

The Yorkshireman in me says no chance, but I keep staring at the bloody chrome haha

You chuffed with em? They aged well?

9 minutes ago, Mh96 said:

Aye it’s mega isn’t it. Priced up two colour matched emblems, rear vRS and rear 4x4 lettering and it comes to like £120.

The Yorkshireman in me says no chance, but I keep staring at the bloody chrome haha

You chuffed with em? They aged well?

They have only been on the car around 8 months, but so far they are perfect. I just thought, I have a decent car so it deserves decent badges. LOL. The other badges I took off were not replaced, so the only bit of chrome still on the car are the wheel centre badges.  I have also just taken off the chrome exhaust tips, rubbed the shine off, epoxy primer and then sprayed them gloss black. I prefer the look of them now compared to to the original chrome shine. I hate chrome on modern cars! 

Just now, roaddetective said:

They have only been on the car around 8 months, but so far they are perfect. I just thought, I have a decent car so it deserves decent badges. LOL. The other badges I took off were not replaced, so the only bit of chrome still on the car are the wheel centre badges.  I have also just taken off the chrome exhaust tips, rubbed the shine off, epoxy primer and then sprayed them gloss black. I prefer the look of them now compared to to the original chrome shine. I hate chrome on modern cars! 

Here is the new look of the rear.

IMG-20210429-WA0001.jpg

26 minutes ago, roaddetective said:

Yeah I think I might have to apply that logic and bite the bullet haha. The photo looks sweet. Have to get heat-resistant spray for the tips or just normal?

43 minutes ago, Mh96 said:

Yeah I think I might have to apply that logic and bite the bullet haha. The photo looks sweet. Have to get heat-resistant spray for the tips or just normal?

I bought epoxy primer online, as I saw a video showing it is the best primer to stick to chrome, as long as you take the shine off first. I used sanding blocks and an electric sander. You don't really need heat resistant paint, as the exhaust tips don't really get hot. Feel them after a drive and you will see they are barely warm to the touch. You may have read already when taking the exhaust tips off. You need a lot of patience and a small ratchet and socket. The 4 small hex bolts on each tip are a sod to get to, but although I have quite large hands, it only took me around 30 mins per side to get them undone. I did however, spray them with release fluid the day before. 

Edited by roaddetective

• 6 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but seemed better than starting a new one. Hoping someone might have the answer.

I’m shortly about to pick up my VRS 2013 MKIII. The previous owner had already debadged the rear boot of the SKODA and OCTAVIA and although it’s a neat job I just personally prefer the badges on, so I’ve ordered a set of OEM badges from SuperSkoda but does anyone have the exact badge placement measurements I’ve tried Googling hoping I’d find something but nothing so far. 

If anyone can confirm the measurements in from the boot edge either side and the measurements up from the middle part of the boot lid (before it goes down into the number plate) it would be much appreciated.