Blackvue app now with adverts (or pay subscription)

Cakemonster

I just went to check the rear camera was still pointing in the right direction, (after taking the trim out for the parking camera) but the app said it needed updating. Luckily, I didn't, according to the reviews, each video is now proceeded by a 15 second advert, unless you pay a subscription.

After paying £250 for the camera in the first place, that seems a bit of a cheek.

Anyone know how much the subs are?

• Thanks 1

Probably added the paywall to fund the additional development they should've put in the first place to make the app secure

Not sure about cost, I'm afraid - but I'd check the developer notes to see what they've included as "Features" (if you're interested). Wouldn't want any Briskodian to pay actual money for little gain :)

Perhaps downgrade to the previous app version, which didn't show ads, then mark the app NOT to auto-update.

That's what I'm about to do... as I also find this friggin rude.
After paying AUD $650 for the front/rear combination, and setting up a wireless hotspot in my car, for immediate notifications, it's pointless having to wait 15seconds to view, when I get an "impact detected" notification..... you know how far an offending vehicle can travel, in 15seconds?

The subs charges are $9.99 or $19.99 (c£7.60 & £15.20) per month! 

I've downloaded another app "Viewer for BlackVue by Crazydog" it connects quicker than the official app and you can still download the video to your phone. You can't access the camera settings with it though.

18 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

What version of the app are you using?

I’m on 2.88 (Jan 24 2019) and do not get any adverts.

Now that's interesting, the version for me is 2.87,  Jan 22 2019, maybe they've relented and the new update hasn't rolled out for my phone (Sony Xperia) yet.

11 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

The Basic Plan and to register your Dash Cam is Free on the app.  I'm no bothered about the B V Cloud.  

Ah, I never bothered to set up the cloud function either.

On 27/01/2019 at 01:29, Gizmo said:

What version of the app are you using?

I’m on 2.88 (Jan 24 2019) and do not get any adverts.

Interesting..... I've checked and my version 2.87 22-Jan, says it's the latest version.

Where did you get 2.88 from?

And they've messed with the app connection, so even when I rolled-back my version to the previous one, it does an immediate check with their server for latest version, and won't let you do anything unless you update to the newest "ad-ridden" version :(
GRRRRRRR

Anyone have a hacked apk they can share somewhere, which overrides this check with the Blackvue server, or removes the damned ads?

Clearly the masses spoke with their wallets and for once the company saw a sudden drop in revenue and future revenue as a bad thing to let happen....