Real world MPG in your VRS

59p

Hello - new to forum and was just wanting to see what current owners are achieving in their VRS's both covering short and long distances. Is this a car that combines efficiency and performance with it being a smaller engine?  A Fabia could be on the shortlist of my next car.

Real world is 37-42 mpg over the months, years. 45 mpg at UK NSL's is easy to get, so you can get 450 miles from a brimmed tank, some get near 600 miles hypermiling.

Some get low 30's and some into the 50's mpg.   It depends on how they are driven.

Easy to get 22 mpg having fun and to get 60 mpg through average speed cameras if enough miles covered.

the 1,390 cc engine is small but it is 180ps minimum and Super charged and Turbo Charged so the comparison should be with larger capacity engines.

That was what VW compared them to when they introduced them, to the 5 cylinder 2.3 & 6 cylinder 2.8 cc VW Engines.

You had best do some reading up on the pinned threads at the top of the page, and in this section and get to know the negatives, 

but there are many positives & smiles per miles if you get a good twincharger, there are more good ones than bad ones, but sadly the number of bad ones are growing now.

There were 1,800 CAVE engine cars 2010-2012 and about 1,100 CTHE cars 2012-2014/15 registered in the UK.

PS

Maybe look at the Seat Leon 1.8TSI 180ps DSG as it is a better more reliable engine and better suspension. Hatch or Estate.

Or a Polo GTI from 2015 with the 1.8 TSI 192 ps which is Manual with 320nm or 250nm with DSG and the DSG is quicker.

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skoffski said:

Real world is 37-42 mpg over the months, years. 45 mpg at UK NSL's is easy to get, so you can get 450 miles from a brimmed tank, some get near 600 miles hypermiling.

Some get low 30's and some into the 50's mpg.   It depends on how they are driven.

Easy to get 22 mpg having fun and to get 60 mpg through average speed cameras if enough miles covered.

the 1,390 cc engine is small but it is 180ps minimum and Super charged and Turbo Charged so the comparison should be with larger capacity engines.

That was what VW compared them to when they introduced them, to the 5 cylinder 2.3 & 6 cylinder 2.8 cc VW Engines.

You had best do some reading up on the pinned threads at the top of the page, and in this section and get to know the negatives, 

but there are many positives & smiles per miles if you get a good twincharger, there are more good ones than bad ones, but sadly the number of bad ones are growing now.

There were 1,800 CAVE engine cars 2010-2012 and about 1,100 CTHE cars 2012-2014/15 registered in the UK.

PS

Maybe look at the Seat Leon 1.8TSI 180ps DSG as it is a better more reliable engine and better suspension. Hatch or Estate.

Or a Polo GTI from 2015 with the 1.8 TSI 192 ps which is Manual with 320nm or 250nm with DSG and the DSG is quicker.

Thanks for that. I've had my eye on one of these for sometime so yes, I am aware of issues some of these engines suffer from. If I was to buy, ideally, I'd look at getting one off these very forums as a somewhat reassurance of a 'good one'. I've owned a Seat Cupra mk2 in the past running a stage+ spec but always thought of these being a little cheaper to run, insure etc.

• Like 1

Everyone’s driving manner, route and everything else taking into consideration will be different for each person. I usually see low 30’s on my everyday routine and get around 250-300 miles to a full tank (1 click at the pump) but on the way back from the french alps last year it reached 57mpg which certainly shocked me and I got 420 miles to a tank, I had about 1/8th left on the gauge so I could of gone further.

DBE4AAD8-C353-4FED-9D8E-08FACAA4BADC.jpeg

Most vRS’ that had the oil consumption early on have been fixed, i was one of the victims and skoda paid 100% contribution because I literally reported it the day after driving it home and it wasn’t my first skoda so don’t be scared when you see the word CAVE. 

Edited by LGM
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LGM said:

Everyone’s driving manner, route and everything else taking into consideration will be different for each person. I usually see low 30’s on my everyday routine and get around 250-300 miles to a full tank (1 click at the pump) but on the way back from the french alps last year it reached 57mpg which certainly shocked me and I got 420 miles to a tank, I had about 1/8th left on the gauge so I could of gone further.

DBE4AAD8-C353-4FED-9D8E-08FACAA4BADC.jpeg

Blimey, thats pretty impressive for one of these! Is yours running any mods? Also what year is it? 

6 minutes ago, 59p said:

Blimey, thats pretty impressive for one of these! Is yours running any mods? Also what year is it? 

Mines a 60 plate and still running strong 4 years on, the only issue I’ve had so far is a wire broke on a MAP sensor which the only way to describe it was pretty much slamming on the brakes at 3k rpm when I floored it, now I’m on 108k BUT the engine has only done around 48k. Servicing it every 10k maximum with fresh plugs keeps it sweet as a nut.

got quite a few mods running at the moment;

cold air intake

milltek exhaust system

H&R lowering springs

323mm 4pots from the mk1 cupra

H&R rarb

And a few other little things.

Edited by LGM
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, LGM said:

Mines a 60 plate and still running strong 4 years on, the only issue I’ve had so far is a wire broke on a MAP sensor which the only way to describe it was pretty much slamming on the brakes at 3k rpm when I floored it, now I’m on 108k BUT the engine has only done around 48k. Servicing it every 10k maximum with fresh plugs keeps it sweet as a nut.

got quite a few mods running at the moment;

cold air intake

milltek exhaust system

H&R lowering springs

323mm 4pots from the mk1 cupra

H&R rarb

And a few other little things.

Is the engine the newer CTHE or CAVE? 

I have a Mk II Fabia vRS with a CTHE engine.

I do a mixture of motorway, city and country driving.

I have done over 45k miles.

My "true" average MPG is 40 based on litres in and miles covered.

I have real doubts about anyone who claims significantly more than that.

12 minutes ago, SeaGoat said:

I have a Mk II Fabia vRS with a CTHE engine.

I do a mixture of motorway, city and country driving.

I have done over 45k miles.

My "true" average MPG is 40 based on litres in and miles covered.

I have real doubts about anyone who claims significantly more than that.

Which is still good considering the performance these offer.

@SeaGoat has been poo pooing other claimed MPG's for years, but there have been people giving their claims for years and they can not all be delusional.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/338015-fabia-vrs-mk2-mpg

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/319834-vrs-mpg-only-please

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/250551-real-world-mpg-of-vrs-dsg

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/352088-vrs-miles-to-a-tank/?page=2

See @lol-lol MPG's

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/261562-450-miles-in-a-vrs-45-mpg

Things to consider other than who drives where and if using 95,97,99 or 100 +ron. (Continental europe) & what tyres are fitted and run at what pressures.

is

From 2010-2012 there are different Maps / engine management from the factory and software updates then changes in plugs and plug gaps.

Just with standard cars, and some upgrade from factory spec.

Then with CTHE that engine is different, then there is the first Map / Engine Management, then later a changed Software / engine management, 

then software updates.  & also owners putting in different spark plugs or maps.

The DSG Software is also modified with CAVE DSG's with the Service Campaign, then again later with CTHE and some DQ200 DSG.

ie All Twinchargers are different.

Then there are Hatches and Estates.

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

I would rarely get less than 450 miles from a tankful and have got over 600 miles on a nice long run to from Worcester to Glasgow and back without refueling ie some 615 miles and still had about 15 miles left.

Tend to use the button inside the filler neck to put over 50 litres in the tank, used Tescos Momentum nearly all the time.

Aerodynamics are not great in the Fabia 2 VRS so both the fuel consumption cruising at indicated 80 mph and the top speed not great.

Car gets quickly to indicated 125 mph and then increase is incremental.

Acceleration enough to smoke VAG 2 litre diesels.

Remove the 20 Kgs ballast weight from the rear bumper if it still has the weights there (hatch not estate).

Did 100k miles in mine.  Oil level measuring is infuriating, so sensitive to engine temp and the level the car is sat at when measuring. 

7 speed auto sometimes gets confused which is annoying, new 7 speed DSGs, like the 4 drving mode with coast function I have in may 1.4 TSI DSG Octy is more pleasant though still gets confused sometimes.

If you get one get a good warranty. One of my kid's significant other just has a £5k rebuild of clutches-engine, nightmare if not covered fully. 

Good car for town and motorway.  When we were able to buy 7 second cars for £14-15k, happier days.      

Running around the village my wife averages 37.8 over 4 and half years of ownership, on mixed running combining her work with other driving she averages 44mpg easily. On a 180 mile round trip on the motorway at around 60 to 65 mph the wee car returned just shy of 52 mpg.