Heated washers

Karoqing

Dipped to -5°C this morning. Couldn't get any screenwash to spray for the duration of a 1 hour drive. I'm sure that my Edition had heated washers. 

Any idea how to identify if they're working? 

I have Prestone screenwash in which in theory is down to -10°C. 

Identify if they work when the Ambient Temps / Air and Ground rises above freezing.

Prestone ready mix -10*oC Screen wash is crap.,   the -23*oC stuff kind of works, not that i spray wash on windcreens at -5*oC or lower.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/420185-windscreen-washer-fluid

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/443193-frozen-washer-with-correct-skoda-mixture-in-container

Edited by Skoffski

In the 1960s I had a Ford Anglia 105E and just bought a long length of washer pipe and put a few turns around the top radiator hose.

Never had a problem with frozen washers!

Warm water worked better in the summer as well. 

Tom

I have always used the VAG windscreen juice, its expensive but it works when you need it.

My home is about 7 miles from the coldest place in the UK  last night at -13deg C. Today no problems with washers including a 60 mph wind chill factor added in !

Mike

Windchill factor is what flesh feels as the cold air hits it.

-6*oC cycling down hill at 20 mph was a bit nippy on the face this morning.

But anyway, grass / ground temp and air temp and under the bonnet temps are different things.

As to windscreens the cars interior temp and the outside temp make big differences as does a heated screen.

4 hours ago, Berisford said:

It's only the nozzle that's 'heated' not the reservoir or the pipes...…...a bit useless really.....I think you are supposed to have screen wash suitably diluted to prevent freezing and the heated nozzle just stops the bit subjected to the exterior icy blast from freezing.

I'd double check your Prestone dilution.

It's premixed!

18 minutes ago, ktm690rr said:

I have always used the VAG windscreen juice, its expensive but it works when you need it.

My home is about 7 miles from the coldest place in the UK  last night at -13deg C. Today no problems with washers including a 60 mph wind chill factor added in !

Mike

Where do you buy it from? 

2 hours ago, ktm690rr said:

Mike

Wind chill does not the lower the temperature of inanimate objects!  

• Like 1

Prestone  (from Costco) at 50% dilution working fine this morning at -5.5. Do miss the heated screen had on Yeti though as I find the wiper blades can get really frozen if moisture had been present and the cars demise hot air does not easily get down to the park position. Had to use a hair dryer (carefully) last week at -4.5. Back to old Freelander days and leave fan heater in car for 15 mins or so.