So who has been stuck in the snow or just on blocked roads?

Ootohere

As per title.

There are any Winter Tyre threads on the forum and members who say how well their choice of winter tyres is or how not necessary to have winter tyres, 

but there never seems to be anyone posted they were out and were stuck (edit) for hours or over night.

Edited by Skoffski

7 minutes ago, jars said:

I didn’t get stuck, but the stupid delivery man decided in his infinite wisdom that he should park his van on a grass verge outside my office and had to get towed off :clap: 

What a plonker, Rodney!

Mickey Mouse wears a delivery man watch :D

I got stuck on the A50 a few years ago as a lorry had jackknifed ahead. Waited around 2 hours or so before the police got up to me and I was told I could turn around and drive the wrong way back up the dual carriageway. Quattro and winter tyres were of little use for around those 2 hours, but useful as I sailed past the usual types of stuck cars. Booked myself into a local hotel as I drove back up the carriageway (wise move as they filled up pretty quickly) and as I pulled triumphantly into the car park a BMW 5 series on summer tyres pulled up alongside me. It was about 3 or 4 inches deep in snow by then. I complimented the driver as he alighted and he looked at me like I had just put his pet hamster in a blender. 

• Haha 2

VRS = Very Rubbish in Snow. I know I don't live in the Scottish borders or Welsh hills but I have to laugh at the tales of woe and discussions over awd, snow tyres from people who probably also don't need them. In the 80's I drove from Hamburg to Berlin in extremely wintry snowy conditions in a 1976 Golf 1.6 auto, normal tyres and in 89 one icy night on the Berliner Ring, in an Orion 1.6, you could turn the wheel from lock to lock at very low speed and The car still ploughed on.  I did get stuck once in a Morris 1800 on the A47 at a long hill near Tugby Leicestershire along with a lot of other vehicles, most were stuck far below us. The only thing prevented us from falling into a ditch was a road sign. We simply dug as much snow as possible from under it, effectively it was on 4 thick snow jacks,  went to a nearby pub to warm up and then got a tow off from a volunteer farmer and his tractor. Some of the chaos in winter in today's Britain is caused by a lot more traffic, lots more cars with low profile wide tyres and some rubbish drivers. My wife's 1.3 Sirion is amazingly good fun to drive in wintry conditions. ...more likely because it is light, and has narrow high  profile tyres. 

Got stuck in a queue at the bottom of a steep hill in a BMW 118 a few years ago.  Plough/gritter cleared the road and I let all the "normal" cars get away before I charged the hill and got up and home. Fitted winter tyres the next morning and put 100 kilos of tractor weights in the boot - car would go anywhere after that

Most probable cause of me getting stuck the last few days (i havnt...) or in the next few seems to be ending up at a flood! Weather warning for all day on thursday for snow and ice... it rained for 12hrs out of 15hrs.. then tried to snow for 2 before it gave up..

Been raining again the last hour after a nice  7deg sunny day!

Never been stuck or had much in the way of problems, not even when riding the bikes in the snow and ice... The one exception was in Tesco's car park, which was like sheet ice, and I had a slight fishtailing moment when braking on the low, heavy Cruiser. My own fault for shopping at such a lower-class establishment, I suppose...!!

• Haha 1

Only ever been stuck once.

I managed the deep cold winter of 2010 in a vRS with summer tred (no money for winters)

I've got a 1 series with summer tred up a long steep incline  through the appropriate application of force i.e. a run up and wellied it with the TC off.

The only car I've ever failed to move was the Accord but I was cursed by circumstance to lose momentum.

I thought I was going to get stuck on Friday picking up the boy in the bm because of idiot drivers. 1 the derranged woman who thought it was a good idea to park on the blind crest of a snow covered hill (South Street george) so everyone had to brake or stop near the top...in the fecking snow. And 2 the numpty who was driving so slowly you couldn't build any momentum to get up the hills on the way home.

I really should have taken the car with winter tyres I suppose :fubar:

7 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Which is odd, because I have no issues with 205/55R16, which are a standard size on vRS estate, and on hatch in some markets.

Ok should have said rubbush with summers on, as your wheels are probably wnters as they're the same size  as the winters I bought for my MkII which almost got stuck on a relatively easy incline on summers.  a police diesel mkII Octavia rattled up the hill whereas the 225/40/18 just moved the car sidewqys even with the barest if throttke just to prevent it stalling. 

I'm running Michelin Crossclimate tyres on my M135i, not been stuck once and I live up a hill and have a sloped drive way. All previous cars have struggled to get up my drive in the snow so I'm really pleased with them. Being an on-call firefighter I can't afford to get stuck really, and it's a long walk to station

1963 Dragon Rally

“None had conquered the Horseshoe Pass - some adventurous types had set out to try, but were stopped by drifts and the R.A~C 's alternative route through Corwen and Cerrigy druidion was relatively trouble free.”

Riding Maicoletta scooters a pal and I went up the pass as it seemed the most direct route. We saw car roofs above the snow and then just radio aerials.

Eventually the only tracks were the trials sidecar in John Ebbrell's article so we followed them. When we reached the point where he turned round (he had more sense than us) we did another 20 yards and then had to turn back ourselves because the snow was above the telegraph poles and we would have no idea where we were.

When we got to the crossroads at the northern end after a long detour we realised we couldn't have got down anyway - the Horseshoe road was a solid wall of snow about 12 feet high!

Happy days, although the night wasn't - my 'patch' had a frozen molehill in the middle of it. Never been so cold and uncomfortable - until the Elephant Rally where I walked round the Nurburgring to keep warm.

7 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Er, I don't run Winters, or even all seasons.

I am ok on my summers along with most other drivers, despite a few getting stuck on our estate's very modest  incline. You have me confused now, you stated that 205/55/R15 are standard size on the VRS estate and even hatch in some markets. Which VRS are you talking about? The MkIII Octy VRS standard size is 225/49/18 not 205/55/R16. 

36 minutes ago, Redboy said:

I am ok on my summers along with most other drivers, despite a few getting stuck on our estate's very modest  incline. You have me confused now, you stated that 205/55/R15 are standard size on the VRS estate and even hatch in some markets. Which VRS are you talking about? The MkIII Octy VRS standard size is 225/49/18 not 205/55/R16. 

Big hint in your use of "MkIII", and my type of "Octavia TDi 110". You're asking about a totally different car to I was talking about!

2 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Big hint in your use of "MkIII", and my type of "Octavia TDi 110". You're asking about a totally different car to I was talking about!

No Ken, you're being obtuse, read your own response below. Big hint is - Stick to the subject, don't digress or dissemble. 

On 4 February 2019 at 09:52, KenONeill said:

Which is odd, because I have no issues with 205/55R16, which are a standard size on vRS estate, and on hatch in some markets.