Rear brake discs - premature wear?

My 150PS petrol estate has just had its first variable service at 15,000 miles - it is nearly 2 years old.  On the service report, it shows pad thicknesses of 9mm front and 7mm rear, but what surprised me was a note to say that the rear discs were worn and that replacement should be considered.  That seemed odd so I queried it but didn't really get a conclusive answer - just that they were worn.

It's under 2 years old, has done 15,000 miles, I don't live near the sea (or any other potentially corrosive environment) and the pads still have 3mm of life in them - it's hard to see how the discs have become worn - I would expect the pads to wear out long before this discs need replacing - and I should add that these are the original pads.

Any ideas?

Nowadays, discs usually wear down along with the pads and its usual to change both at the same time. The rear discs on the Superb are iirc thin 10mm plain unvented. Probably wear limit is 8mm.

Having said that, 15,000 miles is ridiculously short and there must be some form of brake binding going on. Reports of faulty calipers are common. There is also the possibility that ACC and brake drying function have been working aggressively.

Yet another possibility is this is simple upselling from a dealer. Either measure the thicknesses yourself (recommended) or a Quickfit type place or independent might do it for free (not really recommended as they might put on their upselling glasses too)

Edited by xman

Seems to be a week point alight. Good news is replacements  are not expensive. If you do go down the replacement route, as I just did, go for a different brand. I don't rate the OE discs at all which seem soft and prone to corrosion. Just had Pagid disks and Brembo pads fitted for €180 at an Indie, also on a low mileage petrol.

My rear brake discs are a bit of a mess with scoring and part corrosion....  but there is plenty left on the pads- got them checked at my last service a few weeks ago.  Dealer said I could change them if I want but they are absolutely fine to run for a while yet.  They tested the brakes and they are running fine.  No noise, vibration, scraping etc...    When braking everything feels solid.

Seems that the discs are not the best.  

On 13/02/2019 at 06:48, Steviedakota said:

Seems to be a week point alight. Good news is replacements  are not expensive. If you do go down the replacement route, as I just did, go for a different brand. I don't rate the OE discs at all which seem soft and prone to corrosion. Just had Pagid disks and Brembo pads fitted for €180 at an Indie, also on a low mileage petrol.

Was that front , rear or both as getting to point that all mine need replacing skoda quote near £680.

• Sad 1

With my previous Superb I was "stung" at it's first MOT for new rear discs and pads.  "They're rusty mate". Bastids.

Also my current Kodiaq needed new rear discs and pads under warranty at just over a year old and 12,000 miles.

21st century and they're made of cheese.

And the replacements don't look pretty at 18,000 miles either.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have just bought my new rear discs and pads from ECP @ £84.13, that is for Brembo UV coated (so they shouldn’t rust) as my rear discs are in a shocking state... never been good from a couple of thousand miles) OK I have 52K miles on them, but I usually get over 100K a set of brakes due to my driving style and routes, you can usually get though one set of discs per two sets of pads, on the MK3 it seems that the discs are completely shot and the original pads are just half worn.

Cheaper ones are available but I'm hoping the Brembo’s will wear ‘normally’ and not like the OE ones do.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gizmo said:

I have just bought my new rear discs and pads from ECP @ £84.13, that is for Brembo UV coated (so they shouldn’t rust) as my rear discs are in a shocking state... never been good from a couple of thousand miles) OK I have 52K miles on them, but I usually get over 100K a set of brakes due to my driving style and routes, you can usually get though one set of discs per two sets of pads, on the MK3 it seems that the discs are completely shot and the original pads are just half worn.

Cheaper ones are available but I'm hoping the Brembo’s will wear ‘normally’ and not like the OE ones do.

This is the ‘good’ one

2F153B44-FEAB-434E-BDFF-197DE9950415.thumb.jpeg.e6ecd7d9190c7fa40ee64ab69c1e4a6d.jpeg

• Sad 1

Get the distinct impression that its the discs mainly to blame. Rubbish quality material, no corrosion protective coating as well.

And it sounds as if the Skoda dealer replacement parts are just as bad.

I think it would be difficult to buy a worse disc elsewhere.

• Like 3

VW never got where it is today wasting money buying quality consumables like Discs / Pads.

It used to be as long as they lasted out the Lease / Warranty period job done.

Now that is a wish and a dream. 

Keep the Dealerships busy and earning, stuff the buyers / consumers.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, xman said:

Get the distinct impression that its the discs mainly to blame. Rubbish quality material, no corrosion protective coating as well.

And it sounds as if the Skoda dealer replacement parts are just as bad.

I think it would be difficult to buy a worse disc elsewhere.

My thoughts exactly, which is why I went with Brembo (I could have tried a warranty claim but TBH it’s more hassle than it’s worth on a consumable item when the replacements would be just as poor quality.)

Although my fronts are nowhere near as bad they are worse than I would expect so I will change them at the same time. (£136.93 from ECP)

IMG_0112.thumb.jpg.c15d899387b2d2410c46a375a0acfa42.jpg

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 1

When I have an OEM (280 PS) setup, I went into Zimmermann flat discs and EBC Yellow stuff pads for both axles.

The abnormal wear disappeared, but due to overall bad performance I went to big brake kit in front from Merc ML

Since then, all the problems went away.

The rear disc looks like that after 18 months and c.a 40.000 km.

Obrazek

Edited by Enriquez
  • Like 1

On 15/02/2019 at 21:03, xman said:

£680??

Did they ask you to pull down your pants too?

Shop around.

I think they thought I would, they thought wrong then said we can knock some off and make it £550. Funny 10k later they still on the car and only just becoming in need of replacing.

And that's at 36.5k .......

On 16/02/2019 at 12:33, Gizmo said:

This is the ‘good’ one

2F153B44-FEAB-434E-BDFF-197DE9950415.thumb.jpeg.e6ecd7d9190c7fa40ee64ab69c1e4a6d.jpeg

Picked up the Brembo’s today and you can see why the cost a little more (UV coating on the to prevent rust)

81BBF9B0-CC36-4EB5-A703-3C07486BD4A8.thumb.jpeg.98b4a04fe954addc1ad1fa326413fcbe.jpeg5A2A8C39-58A1-44F4-B18F-87FC3D03424F.thumb.jpeg.667a5c193c1417e6483ae029568e6687.jpeg

• Like 3

I've only done just over 2000 miles from new in 12 months (yes) and the car lives in the built in garage, dry, very little humidity variation, constant temperature,  currently around 13 deg C. 

I only take car out for long runs in good weather, hardly any rain ever encountered, and not been in winter/salted conditions.

Also parked up in garage with parking brake off.

Its not been washed since I bought and still looks very clean.

Front discs as expected, pretty much perfect.

Rears, no rust on hubs or edge of discs, however......the surface already starting to look rough, ridiculous. There is definitely something very "cheap crap" about these rear discs.

Edited by xman

• 2 weeks later...

Reassuring skoda allow this quality on their vehicles which may be transporting you and your family. 

Maybe braking performance is not affected by the rust?? Which is typically the default response by the skoda techs, but the discs are clearly perishing.

Skoda dealers and techs should hang their heads in shame when they see discs like this and comment that it's normal wear and tear.

On a positive note dealers do replace the wheel centre logo FOC when they are corroding.