Cornering fogs

Has anyone managed to successfully enable cornering fogs on a 18MY (F/L) VRS please? I've followed instructions on this site (sticky for Octy 3 VCDS) to no avail. Any help greatly appreciated. By the way I use OBDEleven and not VCDS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maggle said:

@vfrguy Don't suppose you know the settings for the second rear fog light (Near side) on the 18MY car also???

Have look here (third of the way down)

Basically, the LHS has blank values, you just need to copy the ones for the RHS over :)

10 minutes ago, Cakemonster said:

Have look here (third of the way down)

Basically, the LHS has blank values, you just need to copy the ones for the RHS over :)

Yep, I've been looking at my admap and noticed that I hadn't changed lasttyp26 to 32 - allgemeine LED bis 12W so I reckon that's the final hurdle to overcome. Will try later and report back. Thanks @Cakemonster

7 minutes ago, ExSEAT said:

@vfrguy Thanks for the screen shots, Its a much easier way to follow the changes! Ive left mine at 40km/h for now but might up it in the future

@Maggle All sorted, nice easy one!

Likewise - 40kmh is about 27mph, may up it to 50 or 60 in future

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Maggle said:

Likewise - 40kmh is about 27mph, may up it to 50 or 60 in future

Something in the back of my head is saying 48kmh is the highest value you can have. That’s about 30mph. 

I think 30mph is the maximum they are supposed to work at, however we has lots of unlit, twisty back roads in the Dales & they do make quite a difference! I can't really see how they would bother anyone & I think it would take a very keen eye to spot that they were activating at too high a speed.

I have done my N/S foglight, have you got yours working?  

It was asking me to enter a value between 0 and 240km/h if I remember right :D

I can imagine it will be useful for the backroads round here, wonder of it will activate when the HBA is on. Will do some tests tomorrow and see how high I can set it

If I buy OBDeleven, how the hell are you supposed to know that all that German gives you access to cornering fogs? Is there actually a translation somewhere that says "for cornering fogs, select....." ?

1 hour ago, NikTheGeek said:

If I buy OBDeleven, how the hell are you supposed to know that all that German gives you access to cornering fogs? Is there actually a translation somewhere that says "for cornering fogs, select....." ?

Hi Nik, once you use it you understand what to do. Coding doesnt normally look like that, its usually written down in text form. The above stuff is good for people who use it already. In this case I open the app amd connect. I then go to the module section. In here are all the modules that control the different parts of the car, such as the module for the camera or in this case the module for the central electronics. I click on this, enter a security code amd i have a menu of things to choose. I click 'adaptations' and I get a list of menus. The titles of these menus can be clicked like 'Static AFS Light' above and I get whats in the last picture. Once in I compare what my standard channel says compared to the one in the picture. I then change it to match. For example, in the forst picture above under 'lichtfunction B2' mine says 'nicht aktiv', but in the picture it has been changed to'abbiegelicht rechts' (cornering lights right) so I click 'nicht aktiv' and a drop down menu gives me multiple options, one of which is 'abbiegelichts recht' so I click it and confirm the change. Its a different way of doing it but it works. 

Sadly theres no actual description that explains everything. It can be a bit cryptic but it relies on other users helping each other out. As you can see its not just choosing one option and its done, some need multiple changes in multiple modules. Theres a topic on here recently titled 'OBD11 help' and in there I have posted the coding for activating High Beam Assist. It looks very complicated but someone has already worked it out for us normal folk and you just have to follow it. Like I day, people help. Ive been helped loads by others and if you need it I will help you too. The circle goes on :D

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ExSEAT said:

Hi Nik, once you use it you understand what to do.

Ive been helped loads by others and if you need it I will help you too. The circle goes on :D

I'm almost convinced :)

But there's two places it could save me money if it does it. If I fit a reversing camera, will it allow me to activate it myself without going to a dealer? Likewise, could I save money by buying the Smartlink activation over the internet and doing it myself with this?

If not, I still want to play with settings like cornering fogs etc :)

thanks

Nick

@NikTheGeek Id suggest reading Sashas thread, she has retro fitted a camera and you would be better off listening to how she did it. Im also not sure how smartlink comes into this but it doesnt do anything like what OBD11 does. Obdeleven allows you to make changes to the car, smartlink just allows you to connect?

Im not in the business of selling or promoting OBD11. I bought it when I got my 2016 VRS, I turned on a few things with it but nothing major. I have used it on the same car to check fault codes aswell as other peoples cars. On my new VRS I have used it to turn on scandanavian DRLs, traffic sign recognition, virtual surround sound, cornering fogs and high beam assist. HBA was a £300 option from factory. Ive also tweaked a few things like changing the number of indicator flashes on the confort indicators.

Worth it? Well for me yeah, 2 cars and a few adaptations later Ive had my £60 I paid. Its caused some heartache learning to use it but my confidence grows all the time. 

Im pretty remote here in cumbria but there are sometimes local members who will do coding for you for minimal cost anyway.

Smartlink needs coding to the car to work. I have the option in my head unit, but not the module. I can buy the module, but then it needs activating "by a dealer". Hence wondering if OBD11 could do it.

4 minutes ago, NikTheGeek said:

Smartlink needs coding to the car to work. I have the option in my head unit, but not the module. I can buy the module, but then it needs activating "by a dealer". Hence wondering if OBD11 could do it.

Ah I see, if I remember rightly thats what allows you to have android auto or apple car play? If so then obdeleven cant do that, its a licence thing and dealer only sorry. I paid £130 forit to be activated on my old VRS, they took some convincing it could be done at the time.  Sorry for not being so clear on that

7 hours ago, ExSEAT said:

@NikTheGeek Id suggest reading Sashas thread, she has retro fitted a camera and you would be better off listening to how she did it. Im also not sure how smartlink comes into this but it doesnt do anything like what OBD11 does. Obdeleven allows you to make changes to the car, smartlink just allows you to connect?

Im not in the business of selling or promoting OBD11. I bought it when I got my 2016 VRS, I turned on a few things with it but nothing major. I have used it on the same car to check fault codes aswell as other peoples cars. On my new VRS I have used it to turn on scandanavian DRLs, traffic sign recognition, virtual surround sound, cornering fogs and high beam assist. HBA was a £300 option from factory. Ive also tweaked a few things like changing the number of indicator flashes on the confort indicators.

Worth it? Well for me yeah, 2 cars and a few adaptations later Ive had my £60 I paid. Its caused some heartache learning to use it but my confidence grows all the time. 

Im pretty remote here in cumbria but there are sometimes local members who will do coding for you for minimal cost anyway.

The virtual surround thing, I tried doing it on mine without success. So, is it only applicable to certain infotainment units (mine Amunsden on a 18MY car) and do you have instructions or screenshots that could help me with this please?

8 hours ago, NikTheGeek said:

I'm almost convinced :)

But there's two places it could save me money if it does it. If I fit a reversing camera, will it allow me to activate it myself without going to a dealer? Likewise, could I save money by buying the Smartlink activation over the internet and doing it myself with this?

If not, I still want to play with settings like cornering fogs etc :)

thanks

Nick

There is so much support on here and other VW Group forums and it isn't too difficult really. I bought OBDEleven this week and have already coded about a grand's worth of 'options' - HBA, TSR, Mirror dip, Cornering Fogs, rear fogs, Sound chirp, lap timer etc. It's well worth the money.

My only problem is know for each MY car which channels are to be used, if someone was able to write a guide it'd be great. For instance the instructions on the sticky here for cornering fogs talk about making changes to Leuchte 26 and 27, but actually for my car it has to be Leuchte 2,3,4 and 5 or something like that. How to know.

By the way, when I get time I shall write up all the adaptations that work on MY18 cars and create a thread on here.

• Like 1

To go through a few of the questions, no OBDEleven cannot activate SmartLink as it is locked to the cars VIN using a system called SWaP (Software as Product) using an FeC (Function enablement Code) and if you want a legit way to get SmartLink you’ll have to go to the dealers and pay the £137. It can be done outside the dealers but if you are running an Amundsen you’d need to take the radio out and send it to someone for rework at a similar cost. The Columbus is a bit easier to work with, but not much.

The Skoda Surround Coding should work on all cars, some people with MIB2 Columbus are reporting that it’s not working, but the MIB2.5 Amundsen and Columbus have both been successful. My MIB2.5 Columbus is running it perfectly.

As for using it, I promise it’s easier than it looks and this is a helpful forum with lots of support. I’ve done loads on my car and others and my inbox is always open.

• Like 1