"Notchy" steering 2016 Colour Edition

Clockworks

I collected my first Skoda last Saturday - a 2016 Citigo Colour Edition, which has covered 26k miles. Approved car from a main dealer, 6 weeks of the original warranty, then a 12 month used car warranty.

I noticed when driving at 60 on a fairly straight road that the steering had a slight notchy feel either side of straight ahead. Turn the wheel very slightly to make a small correction on a very gentle curve, and the wheel felt as if it got heavier, then lighter again as I turned further.  I didn't notice it for the rest of the journey, as the traffic was heavier and slower moving.

Today I had to stop for roadwork traffic lights. While I was stationary I turned the steering wheel slightly, and it moved in a series of small jerks, making a small clunking/squeaking noise each time. Back home on my driveway, and the steering was smooth.

My previous runabout, a worn out old Panda, also had electric PAS, and apart from being overly light, it felt just like an old-style hydraulic system.

Is this a characteristic of the Citigo, or is there a problem?

Went for a drive after my original post, had to stop at the same roadworks traffic lights - same noise and feel through the steering. I tried turning the wheel with the engine stopped on my driveway when I got home. Much easier to feel what's happening without power assistance. It's like there's some free play in the steering column - steering wheel turns a few degrees each way very easily, then gets heavier as the "slack" is taken up. A knocking noise as the wheel gets harder to turn. Feels like a loose or worn universal joint.

I'm guessing that the issue is the steering wheel side of the steering rack, rather than the road wheel side. The notchiness I'm feeling is the point at which the rack starts to move, and the PAS comes into effect, after the initial slack.

The car doesn't feel that precise on the road, has a tendency to wander a bit. Feels like I'm continually over-correcting.

I'll go back to the dealer, compare it to another Citigo.

Hi Clockworks :handshake: definitely sounds like a visit to the Dealership, ours is a 2014 with 72k miles and it runs as straight as a dye ,

let us know the outcome please, it will get sorted and don’t let this put you off these cracking little cars Tasha loves hers :thumbup: Paul n Tash

I have the exact same issue on a 2016 SEL. Mine only occurs after about 15 mins of running mostly, at about 60. Theres a long way between straight ahead and the next ‘notch’

due a service and MOT in March so think I can hold on to then

Could be a worn track rod end leading to free play. That would fail an MOT. I would ask your dealer to check the track rod ends for wear and also the steering rack for play. Also a very small possibility that the universal joint between the steering wheel and the rack (located under the dash above the brake pedal) is loose and needs tightening (no reports of this on Citigo AFAIK)

I have some notches on our up!. And previous Citigo from year -16. VW dealer said it's normal. Mechanic said he's Touran do the same. They say that power steering turns off when going straight line. And then turns on again when steering wheel is turned. I'm not sure if I can accept that explanation yet. 

Since the car was 6 weeks away from needing it's first MOT when I bought it, they did the MOT before I picked it up. No advisories. I would hope they would pick up faults like worn track rod ends, but they probably wouldn't spot a problem inside the car.

I can feel the play/notchiness/clonking with the engine switched off.

I popped into the dealer yesterday, explained what was happening to the salesman and the service desk chap. It's booked in for an accompanied test drive with the tech on Thursday.

I noticed when driving at 60 on a fairly straight road that the steering had a slight notchy feel either side of straight ahead. Turn the wheel very slightly to make a small correction on a very gentle curve, and the wheel felt as if it got heavier, then lighter again as I turned further. 

Sounds very similar to the problem with my Fabia (2016) except without any noise issues.  It's most disconcerting to drive when 'straight ahead' 

I can't understand why it turns power steering off. Because then steering wheel feels like it's turning electric motor. Turning electric motor by hand feels notchy as we know. Maybe they think that average driver doesn't feel those notches but I do.

For some reason our -15 Citigo doesn't have this issue. It is easier to drive straight line. 

Visited the dealer today. Tech didn't even have to start the engine, recognised the problem just by turning the wheel. Apparently Skoda had a bad batch of steering columns, around 1000 cars affected. Booked in for the end of next week.

• Like 1

QC fail. Skoda/VAG increasingly using shoddy parts from their suppliers without checking them. How could 1000 faulty steering columns get through (plus more on the SEAT/VW variants no doubt)

Edited by xman

They are constantly trying to make reasonably priced car for customers. That's why.

And how could they notice this kind of issue on assembly line when it's intermittent. This example was driven 26k before someone noticed. 

I'm sure there is a lot more than 1000 Škoda with this issue.

I think every manufacturer has this kind of problem. Porsche with their bore scoring, faulty IMS and RMS bearings that cost thousands to fix. BMW with their 4 cylinder engines that get destroyed when the timing chains fail. Ford with their cooling hose failures that destroy Ecoboost engines. Smart with gearboxes that only last 60k miles. Mazda with insufficient rustproofing, so 10 year old MX-5s need new sills.

Cars get more complicated, bigger, heavier, faster, more efficient - but prices don't really go up (allowing for inflation). Something is bound to go wrong, no car is 100% reliable (except maybe a Lexus).

It's how the manufacturer deals with the problems that's important, and it looks like Skoda are going to fix my car without it costing me anything. Gives me confidence in the dealer and the brand. If all goes well, my next car will be a Skoda too

Edited by Clockworks

On 17/02/2019 at 09:44, stonyb1 said:

I noticed when driving at 60 on a fairly straight road that the steering had a slight notchy feel either side of straight ahead. Turn the wheel very slightly to make a small correction on a very gentle curve, and the wheel felt as if it got heavier, then lighter again as I turned further. 

Sounds very similar to the problem with my Fabia (2016) except without any noise issues.  It's most disconcerting to drive when 'straight ahead' 

My 2016 fabia feels the same.

Did you resolve the issue?

1 hour ago, Skinneroo said:

My 2016 fabia feels the same.

Did you resolve the issue?

No  - have not resolved it and in fact I get the 'problem' at anything over 40- 45 mph.

Edited by stonyb1
correction to mph

Skinneroo and stonyb1:

Does your steering feel weird if you turn the wheel when parked with the engine off?

Mine feel like there's some slack in a joint. A bit of free play, and a noise as the play is taken up and the wheel gets heavier to turn.

I'm guessing that this is too much backlash in the gearing that connects the electric motor to the column.

Although I’d previously checked my battery and it was fine, both under load and when static, I thought I’d charge it overnight with my CTEK charger. Since I’ve done this the issue with the steering has disappeared...I suspect that the electric power steering is very dependent on battery health.

They say it doesn't matter how steering feels when engine ot ignition is of. How come it doesn't matter if power steering is turned of when driving straight line on Highway. I don't get it. 

I picked my car up from the dealer late yesterday. So far, so good.

They fitted a complete steering column, with motor, angle sensor, and ECU.

Glad I got it sorted before the warranty ran out, as the bill would've been £1500

• Thanks 1