Cracked Cylinder engine write-off

rawcas

Hi All.

Not a happy bunny today!!! Car went in to have a service and Timing chain replaced this week, it was precautionary but it had seen an engine management light before I had the work done (troubles in this regard posted previously).

After replacing the chain the engine then ran rough as a bag of nails, Skoda kept the car in for 2 days trying to diagnose. On further inspection and analysing the new fault codes after the timing chain was replaced it appeared that the car, now running with the correct timing, actually had a knackered piston which has consequently cracked the cylinder.

Skoda say that the piston had likely been damaged for a while and that is what had caused the original timing faults, and only having the chain done showed the extent of the damage. Ironically with the issues the 1.2 tsi is known for they dont think it was the chain that caused the piston issues.

The long and short is that the engine is write off and skoda want £3.5k to replace it and will not give me anything under their conmplaints matrix system (although I have yet to call them).

I dont think there is going to be a happy ending to this as I bought the car from a dealer but it was 15 days over 6 months ago and I believe any issues have to be dealt with in that time?

I'm loathe to get rid of the car, are there any other ways to have the engine replaced in a more costly manner?

Thanks.

Skoda never had your car or kept it did they, was it some Official Skoda Dealership / Approved Repairer?

With Insurance and responsibility for doing good work!

Who have you spoken to at Skoda. Is this Skoda UK Customer Services?

Who has not given you anything?

Get everything in writing.

Who are you holding responsible, Skoda CZ, Skoda UK, Skoda Dealership?

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us

Edited by Skoffski

How old is the car, how many miles, were any services done late by previous owner

If you can supply this then others may be able to help more

This is the point you tell the 'Dealer Principal, by phone and in writing your car has not to be touched.   'Store until inspection of the engine carried out'.

Contact an Independent Engineering Inspector, via Citizens Advice or a Solicitor,

You want an Independent Experts Report / Examination.   One that can be used in court if you require to make a claim / raise an action against the Dealership.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, just been on to my local 'trusted' garage who had the car earlier last week and they have said there is no way that Sthe Skoda dealership explantion adds up and the engine was running smoothly before I took it to Skoda.

My car is 44k miles with a full dealer service history so it's been properly maintained, thats why something here doesn't ring true.

I'll go through some of the hoops now as I've been in meetings, first port of call is Skoda.

2 hours ago, Skoffski said:

This is the point you tell the 'Dealer Principal, by phone and in writing your car has not to be touched.   'Store until inspection of the engine carried out'.

Contact an Independent Engineering Inspector, via Citizens Advice or a Solicitor,

You want an Independent Experts Report / Examination.   One that can be used in court if you require to make a claim / raise an action against the Dealership.

Thanks again all.

I've raised the official action with Skoda now, it's being logged and they are contacting the dealer, they to do not want the car moved until the independent inspector can see it either.

I will be calling the dealer principal myself in the next few minutes after speaking to Citizens Advice about the independent inspection and making sure it can be carried out etc.

Skoffski, would you mind if I PM'd you for advice on this if it escalates?

• Like 3

Sorry i can not take PM's.

The issue is. 

Did the dealership have a Qualified Technician or a supervised apprentice do the work. Have they done the job in a competent manner.  

There is the TPI, the upgraded kit. 

Your issue is not with Skoda UK but good that they know.

Okay,  thanks.  Just on hold to citizens advice, once I've asked them about the independent mechanics assessment I'll be back in touch with the garage directly as you suggest. 

What do mean as well by the TPI upgraded kit? Are you referring to the latest chain kit that resolves the issues with the original chains? If so I expressly asked them in an email when booking the car in to make sure the correct version of the kit was fitted as I was aware of the problems.

Get a Solicitors appointment.

The Dealership can get you a hire car / courtesy car / demonstrator today.   They will be paying for a new engine anyway.  

Almost no doubt. 

FMDSH and car in for a Service & Timing Chain and some employee co-cked up.    

Skoda / VW Known Fundamental Design / Manufacturing fault, and a honest owner does the right thing, 

Preventive Maintenance at an Approved Repairer / Main Dealership.  

The Press will love it.  

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 3

Thanks Skoffski, reassuring and daunting at the same time, but I've definitely decided not to let this go.

I'm of the same mind you are and I really appreciate your input, I'm very grateful that such a community on all things Skoda exists as it does as otherwise I may not have had the impetus to try and take this on.

Cheers

• Like 1

Clearly the dealer made a complete horlicks of the chain replacement job. THEY are to blame and should do the required work at no cost to you.

If you have an independent qualified engineer investigate (provided the garage have not done a quiet but hurried  revamp of their previous alignment)  - he should be able to confirm that it has been wrongly re-assembled.

Good luck with this, and keep us all in the picture.

My thinking would be if you had a knackered piston before it went in you would have noticed very rough running and burning oil,if they got the timing drastically wrong has the piston been damaged by valve contact ???...any half competent mechanic would surely have turned the engine over by hand to check there was no contact before starting but maybe they didn't.

• Like 1

I'm sure when you have the independant inspection it will confirm my belief that the cracked cylinder fairy tale is bullsh1t.

Probably no more than a set of bent valves, worst case piston crown damage, worst worst case piston top ring shattered and bore damage, but cracked liner???????????

• Like 1

• 1 month later...