First *72hr with a MY19 Sportline 272 [Yearly review]

Based on all the above it comes with no surprise saying that I feel it's hands-down the wisest car choice I've ever made. Especially in a period where comfortable and hassle-free family carrying is the main duty of my drives, and the occasional solo spirited drive for my own pleasure is a rare one. It ticks so many boxes on so many levels, but also performs surprisingly well in others that are not supposed to be its strongest areas that I can't really think of any reasonable complaints. It's clearly all the car a family needs in the real world. And I should wrap it up at at this.

However, one thing which I could probably come up with, just to fire the discussion up of-course, is that it lacks a clear sports identity that (if I make any sense here) would make the idea of driving it , not so much the actual drive itself, more tempting. Ok, a slightly more focused ride as well would not hurt but that is something you can easily fix to your like, the "sport model reputation/character" (or lack of) is what you can't do much about.  Surely that is not an issue of the car itself though but of Skoda, for not having a long history of fast sedans.

For example, recently I've caught myself reading up on the new 340i xDrive. The fact is there would be no way into finding a similarly equipped 340i without spending almost twice the money of the Superb (comparing new to new), and even then, as a family carrier it would be an inferior car creating more issues than it solved. Absolute performance? If I really worried about those 5 extra tenths off the 0-100 time and maybe 1-1.5" off the 100-200 I could easily achieve it by a couple more upgrades and still save tenths of thousands. Handling would always be better with the 340 unless I went to really great ends with the Superb but would that improvement really transform my driving experience? I know I am enjoying my current drives already when I feel like pushing on, so why would I ever consider it when I am already ticking my boxes? For the money that it costs in particular. Yeah there's something about a 335/340 (or a C43)  that makes them tempting and it's not that they are fulfilling a certain need (in the more dull definition of need...) which other cars can't.

But then I take a moment with myself and think that if that's all that really differentiates such a capable all-rounder like the Superb to the more traditional sport saloons, it's probably madness to continue such thoughts. Let me be clear, I am not saying whoever buys a 340 or C43 is mad, not at all. This is based around my own needs and priorities and to which extent they are fulfilled, which is a pretty large extent currently, already making me think I could stick with the car for longer than I usually do. Time will tell...

PS. Edited as some thoughts were left out originally!

Edited by newbie69
  • Like 4

Even after just 18 days with my 272 Sportline Plus I agree 100% with pretty well all your points and did contemplate say dropping it 25mm with some firmer Eibach springs yet I like the comfort (even without DCC) for 95% of the time and I have several speed humps to negotiate on our modern small estate where we live so clearance may become an issue. Although acceleration can seem dull in Normal or Eco modes compared to the majority of traffic on UK roads the normal performance is anything but dull and sometimes you wonder why the 2.0TDi in front is moving so slowly. Like you I wouldn't know whether my TCS light actually works despite driving on mainly soaking wet roads since I collected the car. Really looking forward to doing 6 long trips shortly and I'm sure it will impress even more than it has so far on my 27 mile (43km) commute.

• Like 1

Leave that 2.0TDi in front of you alone, it's probably me in my manual 2wd 190TDi accelerating in the wet wondering if my TCS light switches off!!😁

One question though, how is tyre wear with all the power?

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Markbro said:

Leave that 2.0TDi in front of you alone, it's probably me in my manual 2wd 190TDi accelerating in the wet wondering if my TCS light switches off!!😁

No wheelspin = no wear. Well that's the theory anyway.

3 hours ago, Markbro said:

It's really not that much power to be honest (even the 340bhp), and as Shy said, there shouldn't be any extra wear as there is no slipping. Most of the time (ie. when the rear axle is disengaged) the car drives as a FWD anyway 

• Thanks 1

I wish I had the option to spec the Virtual cockpit on mine. It just makes the interior so much nicer.  

@newbie69 are you aware of any non-OEM Pretoria style wheels that are sold by a respected alloy brand, ideally TÜV approved?  I'd love to get the VW ones but at £400+ each they aren't cheap.  I wish I had the cash at the time to to have bought your Supernova's, I also prefer them much more than the Vega's. 

17 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

I wish I had the option to spec the Virtual cockpit on mine. It just makes the interior so much nicer.  

@newbie69 are you aware of any non-OEM Pretoria style wheels that are sold by a respected alloy brand, ideally TÜV approved?  I'd love to get the VW ones but at £400+ each they aren't cheap.  I wish I had the cash at the time to to have bought your Supernova's, I also prefer them much more than the Vega's. 

I very much agree on the VC's effect.  I specced it as I'm a sucker for all tech gadgets but I quickly realized it is a very powerful feature/option in the overall cabin impression that you get, makes the car feel like it's the latest thing out there and that you ain't missing much compared to the hi-tech digital interiors of the German lux trio. In that sense I think it's going to provide that "feel like new" effect for longer than the dials ever could. It's also nice choosing what screen and what content you'd like showing up there depending on your mood, and, you get to modify the speedo to show more speed increments than stock and a max speed of 280km/h  :D 

Pret clones exist on ebay, but TUV approved ones it's a negative. There's "similar" 5 spoke designs but if you've got that one stuck in your head it's going to be hard to accept something else, at least it was for me for over a year so I ended up sourcing a reasonably priced set of used Prets.

That been said, the same set on two different cars has gradually reduced its wow factor in my eyes so I was considering a change this spring. Shall I keep you posted? Keep in mind I have managed to get couple of scuffs on one of them but I think a wheel shop should be able to fix it easily.

Edited by newbie69

1 minute ago, newbie69 said:

I very much agree on the VC's effect.  I specced it as I'm a sucker for all tech gadgets but I quickly realized it is a very powerful feature/option in the overall cabin impression that you get, makes the car feel like it's the latest thing out there and that you ain't missing much compared to the hi-tech digital interiors of the German lux trio. In that sense I think it's going to provide that "feel like new" effect for longer than the dials ever could. It's also nice choosing what screen and what content you'd like showing up there depending on your mood, and, you get to modify the speedo to show more speed increments than stock and a max speed of 280km/h  :D 

Pret clones exist on ebay, but TUV approved ones it's a negative. There's "similar" 5 spoke designs but if you've got that one stuck in your head it's going to be hard to accept something else, at least it was for me for over a year so I ended up sourcing a reasonably priced set of used Prets.

That been said, the same set on two different cars has gradually reduced its wow factor in my eyes so I was considering a change this spring. Shall I keep you posted? Keep in mind I have managed to get couple of scuffs on one of them but I think a wheel shop should be able to fix it easily.

Thanks.  Yes, plenty on eBay but hard to know if which are good and which are just soft crap that would buckle, at best.  I also like the 

Are yours 18's or 19's? I'd prefer 19's as I'd like them for Summer use and I have a new'ish set of R19 PS4's so would rather not have to buy a full set of tyres in another size. 

I got the good stuff Penguin :cool:  19" flow formed and lightweight (9.6kg) Golf R/Clubsport alloy.

Originally this was the only size but eventually, VW made them in 18" too but only cast and in fact heavier (and much cheaper) than the 19" alloys. If I can spare Sunday morning to go get them out of their storage and take couple of photos I'll be able to show you the exact marks.

Edited by newbie69
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, newbie69 said:

I got the good stuff Penguin :cool:  19" flow formed and lightweight (9.6kg) Golf R/Clubsport alloy.

Originally this was the only size but eventually, VW made them in 18" too but only cast and in fact heavier (and much cheaper) than the 19" alloys. If I can spare Sunday morning to go get them out of their storage and take couple of photos I'll be able to show you the exact marks.

Nice and thanks. Don’t go to any trouble though as I’m not in any great rush at the moment. 

• Like 1