Sub Woofer Install

4 hours ago, Scot5 said:

I'll give folk an example of issues I've come up against in the past - both specified as 2017 Mk3 Octavia compatible:

mk3_harness_1.JPG.bb35345df46aeab6392ce4476dcd5ae6.JPGmk3_harness_2.JPG.f6506ed5b36353b5b19fda115bf73853.JPG

So for those of us in the dark... Which one is actually Mk3 FL compatible? :blink:

2 hours ago, Kenai said:

So for those of us in the dark... Which one is actually Mk3 FL compatible? :blink:

For my 2017 FL, the one on the left is the right one.  :D  

I'm a tad fumming right now. Just drove 140 miles round trip to pick up a few bits 'n pieces and get some advice from car Hi Fi dealer website says open Saturday 08:30 - 16:00, the sign outside the premises said it's open Saturday (may have said 09:00 - 16:00, can't remember) but the lockers were down, doors locked, no 'at lunch' or 'back in 10mins notice, no car or persons in sight...   :devil:      The car needed a run anyway.

Edited by Guest

On 01/03/2019 at 14:35, CFBScout said:

OK, the sub woofer is in!

Took me around 2.5 hours in total, a little longer than planned as the harness adapter was not right, it didn't have enough pins/wires so rather than waste the day and order another I decided to go old school and strip/solder/insulate to tap into the speaker outputs, which I didn't really want to do but hey, it's done and it's fine.

Hi CFBScout / JohnnyType2

I’m trying to figure out the wiring for the Kenwood KSC-SW11 under seat amp and I’m flummoxed by the blue/white P cont (power control?) cable. Where does this connect to? Is it part of the MOST quadlock wiring, and if so do you know what colour the corresponding Skoda wiring is? 

315017544_KSC-SW11excerpt_pcont.thumb.jpg.2c8fa7897332b8a5b5d543f4539a1b68.jpg

Is there a pinout diagram for the quadlock? I've been unable to find one?

the blue white is the remote amp turn on/accessory power. connects it to accessory power on the head unit.  again blue/white

its the same colour in the quad lock and corresponds to pin 6 you can see it here in my picture.

20181023_163553_LI.thumb.jpg.34e3d23ec3ced5cdc0175bb37672544a.jpg

Edited by JohnnyType2
  • Thanks 1

Let me know what you think once it;s done. I've got mine pretty much spot on now, both controls on the Kenwood set to around the mid-point and the bass on the car unit reduced by one 'notch'. Really adds a nice low end. It;s perhaps not as deep/rich as I would have liked but still happy overall.

On 08/03/2019 at 02:25, JohnnyType2 said:

the blue white is the remote amp turn on/accessory power. connects it to accessory power on the head unit.  again blue/white

its the same colour in the quad lock and corresponds to pin 6 you can see it here in my picture.

20181023_163553_LI.thumb.jpg.34e3d23ec3ced5cdc0175bb37672544a.jpg

I'm confused, my head unit quad has non standard wires? The wire in your picture is blue/white, the corresponding wire on my quadlock is black (see image below)? I also seem to have a lot more populated pins - but I have the GVN60 Garmin satnav added to my MIB1 Bolero unit so I presume this is why?

20190309_171739_resized.thumb.jpg.398a297f413dea2a1818a2024ddb460b.jpg

Would I be right in saying these are the correct pins for the front right +/- , front left +/- and the power control (sorry for the cartoon like writing):

2137709885_neilsquad.thumb.jpg.176e8f341a23931e8da18519c5dd6388.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally got the subwoofer installed. Thank you to CFBScout and JohnnyType2 for the advice.

I struggled to get this installed on my own and used my local independent dealer.  It turns out as my car had the Garmin GVN60 satnav add on for the Bolero unit wired into the harness and the wiring was very busy.

I put the sub under the driver seat, rather than under the passenger seat, as I figured it would give me (as the driver and I spend most of the time in my car on my own) the best sound. I have the remote mounted in the driver convenience cubby and velcroed in place making it easy to adjust.

The sub is very neat and fits nicely under the seat. I haven't had a chance to play with the settings much but the difference is great. Don't get me wrong, this is no boot mounted sub, but rather adds some bass and definition to the stock Bolero set up, which is pretty poor. 

Photo of the remote in the drivers convenience cubby (excuse the other clutter):

20190318_173238_resized.thumb.jpg.983645f29c3d8acc5ab97b359c499ce0.jpg

and of the sub under the driver seat (with seat pushed fully to the rear):

20190318_173300_resized.thumb.jpg.4f9348e710f08ed1e4ab8eb752bec1ea.jpg

Glad you got it done. 

Loving mine, as you say it’s no substitute for a full boot mounted boxed sub and amp but really does enhance the standard system nicely. 

• Like 1

Well I never quite believed that speakers need to be run in but the Kenwood sub certainly does. It has loosened up massively and is now able to put out some fantastic powerful low bass notes 

So it it really does improve with time, the sound is phenomenal now for such a small unit. 

One of of the best value for money products I have bought for a long time. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 28/02/2019 at 15:37, JohnnyType2 said:

I de pinned the redundant wiring and tidied it up with tesa tape. the 

20181024_150950.jpg.33fe4d4150ff93d0c627ae962080ae36.jpg

the LC2i is around £70 posted and the kenwood is £150, the lc2i also has a subwoofer control knob. 

HI Johnny how come there are so many redundant cables, I take it the part is not just for tapping into the speakers and for another purpose but can be used for this? thanks 

this is a great post, just what I wanted. I upgraded the front speakers recently then found the MIB1 was unable to power them sufficiently so lost all the bass, I ended up putting the originals back in. I could just do with a bit more advice around 'tapping' into the speaker wires, being a novice on ICE. thanks ady   

34 minutes ago, masonic said:

HI Johnny how come there are so many redundant cables, I take it the part is not just for tapping into the speakers and for another purpose but can be used for this? thanks 

the quad lock system is in alot of different VAG cars Audi Skoda VW etc all have slightly different system setups, all the extra wiring is to ensure that this quadlock covers all those models. i was able to depin over half the wires to make it more flexible to push the extra cabling up out of the way at the back, the redundant wiring does make the cable pretty stiff. the quad lock should cover any other connections like reversing camera, video output etc as well.

36 minutes ago, masonic said:

this is a great post, just what I wanted. I upgraded the front speakers recently then found the MIB1 was unable to power them sufficiently so lost all the bass, I ended up putting the originals back in. I could just do with a bit more advice around 'tapping' into the speaker wires, being a novice on ICE. thanks ady   

the speaker level outputs are probably only rated for 25-30W per channel (i couldnt find any definitive specs on the MIB units)  so if you fit speakers rated to 75W for example which would be a mid range replacement it wont have anywhere near the juice to power the drivers.

for example ive fitted 180W RMS each speakers and 100W tweeters in the rear and require a dedicated amp to power them. the fronts are 150W RMS and 100W tweeters each side.  

Great post.  Am I right in saying then that this wires into either the front or rear speakers to run the sub but you also don't lose any power to the speakers you tap into?

Cheers guys this has been inspirational! It’s just a shame the space under the seat isn’t 5cm wider then you could get some more meaty units!

gone for this one hopefully get it in over the next few weeks and I’ll report back! (May have to go under the drivers seat, or I may have to remove the umbrella storage, which I only just found when measuring up!!!! I just brought a cheap umbrella to watch my son play football and there was one under the seat all the time!)

15CF82C8-3951-41D2-BFC3-9177568F7EFB.png

Edited by Ballsy