Alternator problem?

Hey all

Thought I'd start a new thread as I feel there is now a separate issue with my car.

Basically, some weeks ago I suffered a flat battery and after charging it up over night, all seemed fine.

I've been using the car trouble free for 2 weeks and it's been getting regular journeys.

However, this morning after initially moving the car from my garage and using the 12V socket to inflate tyres; the car won't start.

What's more, jump leads have done nothing and the dash is throwing a wobbler including coil symbol, ABS flashing (beeping too) and xenons flashing like mad.

Car makes the tell tale electrical tapping sound.

Also, only just noticed this but with the key removed you can hear the slightest electrical whirring sound coming from above the columbus head unit where the air con vents are. Best way to explain it is a very similar 'tapping' sound but much more muted.

Don't know if this is related.

It's been pushed to the roadside and hopefully, will be collected Monday first thing as a neighbour has stepped in to help and knows a local indy.

From what I've described, am I right in thinking this is the alternator on the blink?

The time span between the car initially starting and then failing was less than an hour.

It's a CR170 2011 plate btw.

Tapping sound is probably the Climatronic flaps faffing around but you may not have noticed before, agree that battery is the likely suspect dependant on its age.

Sounds like the battery has died, charge it, if it restarts the vehicle let it run for 15 minutes, switch off and leave for a couple of hours then check the voltage with a decent digital multimeter before trying to restart.

I can see no reason at this stage to call out a garage from what you have described.

Just been browsing a certain car parts retailer. They have a weekend 37% discount with an S4 Bosch coming in just over £94.

I get what your saying regards charging it etc but I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and get one ordered.

I'm not sure if there's a particular method to changing the battery?

Assuming it's just an in and out swap job. If it's a doddle I'll tackle it myself.

Would you agree changing the battery is my first port of call?

Yes, at 4 years old its likely to fail or cause spurious fault codes in the next couple of years anyway, if your tyre inflator flattened it quickly it sounds like its close to failing or has now failed after dropping beneath a certain voltage but if you had not driven it for a week or so then started it, switched off quickly and used the tyre inflator for ane extended period its quite feasible that even a good battery would not restart the car.

Do you not have a battery charger?

Changing the battery is a simple task, you will probably get some warning lights afterwards but they will soon go out.

My Superb Columbus makes fan type or other noises when not in use getting in the car and leaving the car I think. Like the cooling fan stays on overrun for a few mins before turning off. 

10 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Do you not have a battery charger?

I don't I borrowed the neighbours. Because the car is now idle on the roadside and the driveway is on a rather steep incline it'd be a logistical nightmare to get it back to a power outlet and I don't want to mess running an extension lead across the road. 

The last time the car failed to start it was in the garage ironically where a twin socket is near the bonnet. Simply left it on overnight and charged it where it was safe.

To add insult to injury I've misplaced my digital multimeter (think it's hiding in the attic).

I get what your saying regarding getting a reading but as you said at 4 years perhaps this was inevitable.

I will get one ordered I think and have a crack and changing it. Surely I can't mess that up ha ha.

As you said, at this stage it will potentially eliminate the need to call the garage out whom may charge me just to collect it alone never mind the work.

8 minutes ago, gav_is_con said:

My Superb Columbus makes fan type or other noises when not in use getting in the car and leaving the car I think. Like the cooling fan stays on overrun for a few mins before turning off. 

Ah ok that's good to know. I did for a min get a bit paranoid thinking the sound could be electrical gremlins but wasn't sure if it was related to the flat battery issue. It probably is the fans or something in that case.

1 minute ago, LordRaiden84 said:

Stoke mate ST6

Yes I suppose I could but without sounding condescending if I'm going to remove it why don't I just replace it anyway?

Ah oh when I saw Midlands I thought you maybe near my doorstep. Would have offered a spare old battery to you. I was just thinking about getting you back on the road again quickly. 

ABS batteries on eBay were knocking out type 096/100 for about £55 delivered next working day, calcium 3–4 year warranty. Simple black badgeless battery. Still have it in my Octy 2, few years later. Plenty on here bought from them a few years ago. 

5 hours ago, LordRaiden84 said:

I see yes I really appreciate the gesture and had you been closer would've snapped yer hand off.

I did look at flea bay earlier but kept getting the 'This battery does not fit your car'.

seller:absbatteries 096

try this in your search 

I have a 1.9 and it’s well publicised on here a type 096 would fit that and it did nice a tight though. The upside plenty of juice when needed and decent CCA. The same size fits my superb 2 170. It’s larger than the manufacturer recommends but the tray accepts it. As you have a 170 Octy 2 I don’t know personally the tray size. But as long as the AH and CCA is not less I would personally fit it size permitting. 

That sounds quite a sad battery...

Once you've replaced it, measure the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running. It should give you a good idea if the alternator is happy :)

Thanks mate. Yeah thought it was a bit low. I'll swap it out tomorrow and update. 

Bit ****** off at the moment I cannot for the life of me find my book with the car info incl radio code.

Ram sacked the study and still no joy.

It will only ask for the radio code after replacing the battery if you turn on the radio before switching on the ignition.

If you have done this, turn off the radio and ignition then switch on the ignition again. It should then find the stored code unless it is not the original factory fit radio.

I had the sameon my MK1, panicked, tried all the numbers written on the service book etc, eventually it locked out, then while I was sulking it started working all on its own as it probably would have done a lot earlier but for my efforts.

A good system IMO.

Hey all.

Ok, new battery fitted and up to now all is good. Measured it and seems the alternator is doing it's job.

Regards the radio code it's a Columbus unit and the first time the car went flat it asked for it then.

Been like that since. Unfortunately, unless I find the code it's a long drive to a kind members residence on here to get it sorted.

Guess I'll have to tip the house upside down some more :D

• Like 1