Key fob in working - KESSY

Went to the car yesterday and the key fob would not open the doors of do anything really and the light on did not light up as normal so my obvious thought was the battery had gone (even though the car is only 18 moths old)

Anyway used the spare fob (all worked fine) but after replacing the battery in original fob it is still not working!

I was wondering is there anything you have to do like programing / coding you have to do to the fob once the battery is replaced with it being KESSY or could it be a fault with the fob its self?

18months not unusual for battery to drain.

Seems pretty obvious but can you be sure the replacement battery isn't faulty? 

Easy to check - use the battery from your spare keyfob that you know is working.

1 hour ago, Scot5 said:

18months not unusual for battery to drain.

Seems pretty obvious but can you be sure the replacement battery isn't faulty? 

Easy to check - use the battery from your spare keyfob that you know is working.

I thought the same earlier so have tried the battery out of the working spare fob in the original fob and still does not work.

I then tried the suspected dead battery in the spare fob and it works so i'm leaning more towards a fault with the fob.

I think the batteries are CR2025 or 2032, you can get them very cheaply at either Lidl or Aldi, otherwise try Boots they regularly have deals on flat (button) lithium batteries.

Much better to spend a couple of quid on a battery that serious money on a key fob.

21 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

I think the batteries are CR2025 or 2032, you can get them very cheaply at either Lidl or Aldi, otherwise try Boots they regularly have deals on flat (button) lithium batteries.

Much better to spend a couple of quid on a battery that serious money on a key fob.

2025s but 2032 will fit with a squeeze and have higher capacity.

I replaced mine the other day with an allegedly new battery supplied from my Skoda dealer. It only lasted 2 weeks before the warning came up again to recommend I replace the battery. They were non branded but were in the official VWAG bag with label etc.

On testing the old one it was still close to 3v so I guess the system is picky on the exact voltage for the KESSY key.

If this one goes again I will be getting a branded cell.

To answer the question about reprogrammed etc, my wifes key was completely dead for an unknown period of time sat at the bottom of her handbag.

When she actually needed the car and realised it didnt work, all I did was replace the battery and all functionality worked straight away without doing anything.

So everything should be good to go when you replace the battery.

Well tried new batteries and one out of the spare fobs and the key still doesn't work so guessing it is a problem with the fob.

also I never had any warning about the battery going flat... I assume would have been on the display when in the car?

I have two spares so no rush so will mention it to the dealer when its next in for a service

• 5 months later...

I'll will also be trying this out tonight as i have just grabbed the spare key and that appears to be completely flat.

Off to France on Sunday so i thought it would be a good idea to take the spare, just hope the new battery will sort it out!