Karoq spare wheel

bohmer

5 hours ago, Panther_uk said:

Don't have anything holding it in place, but theres nowhere for it to go, ther is no sideways movement even though there looks like there is space but is held in pretty tight once the boot floor is in place.

I agree it can't really go anywhere I'm finding it does jump a little on the bumps and rumble somewhat on rough surfaces - bugging me - given the quietness and all-round calmness in the Karoq......I'll have to fabricate something to suit my VW wheel I think.

Some years ago I had a Golf Plus that I bought a full size spare wheel kit for, and it came with a centre plastic spindle that was also available separately, with what looks like the same type of fitting at the base as the Karoq, I remember at the time it was available in different lengths, maybe there is a VW one that suits what you need.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bohmer said:

Some years ago I had a Golf Plus that I bought a full size spare wheel kit for, and it came with a centre plastic spindle that was also available separately, with what looks like the same type of fitting at the base as the Karoq, I remember at the time it was available in different lengths, maybe there is a VW one that suits what you need.

For an aftermarket full size spare wheel installation in a 2wd Karoq you will need to order polystyrene inserts part nos S575863496G for the drivers side (which holds all the tools/locking wheel nut/towing eye/etc.) and S575863495E for the passengers side.

There is also the side-to-side back piece which I didn't order as I have varioflex seats.

The centre spindle needs to be elongated to support the floor in the middle of the wheel and to do a factory finish job you may need a new boot floor carpet as it sits at a different height and needs a slightly different shape to the back edge.

All the parts (with the possible exception of the centre spindle) are standard 4wd Karoq spare wheel kit parts.

Here is my full size 18inch Braga in my 2wd SEL with just the left/right inserts. Centre spindle extended using left over sink waste water pipe.

IMG_0571.thumb.JPG.2c6b3075144df727ea1cca9ce2bcf90e.JPG

Her is the original floor carpet just laying on top of the spare wheel.

IMG_0572.thumb.JPG.89f90d6fc07c6412ce7d98809adccdd2.JPG

• 1 year later...

My Karoq has 19" Vega's,  but it has the full size spare wheel option from the factory, which is basically a full size 16" tyre on 16" steel rim and a jack. I presume the outer diameter ( and circumference) of the tyre match those of the low profile 19" tyres if that makes sense.

Basically you want to match the rolling diameter/circumference.....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All

The partnumber supplied previosly 57A093860A is listed by Skoda as for a skinny spare wheel to fit the 4x4 Karoq.  My parts guy insisted that you can't fit a full size spare into a Karoq even though I showed him that it is on the new car options. The kit comes with all the parts needed and cost me £95. As the 4x4 comes with no floor well in the boot this kit is designed to allow a skinny space saver to be fitted.  But as we know the 4x2 already has a well and so adding this kit allows a full size spare to be fitted. I had a spare from an Octavia which was slightly smaller in width than the Karoq version but the bolt holes were the same. Karoq full size spare is 215/60 R 16 whereas the Octavia spare is 205/55 R 16.  Given that it would not be on the car for long I think the 10mm is neither here or there.

As can be seen in the pics above you will need to put a support in the middle of the wheel as the one that comes with the kit is for the skinny wheel and is too low.  I didn't have the problem as the Octavia wheel already had the tools and jack in the centre so support wasn't an issue. 

Some more about the installation.  The car was ordered with no spare so came with the pump etc. This meant that the screw studs that should stick up from the boot floor that allow you to secure the new polysterene pieces were missing.  Found not to be a problem as the three pieces fit so snugly that they don't move at all.  The replacement floor comes with four corners with poliysterene underneath to locate the floor into the side pieces. I found that I had to remove some of this material to allow the floor to sit down properly. The new floor comes with a flap at the rear to stop items going down behind the seats and also both sides lift to give access to the side pieces where you can store stuff without lifting the whole floor.  I also found that the best way to fit is to lay the back piece in first and then slot in the sides.  As I didn't have the vario seats I did not have to alter the back piece. 

My memory is that the Yeti had a spare that was smaller than the full size wheel but not a true skinny spare. Could this be similar with the Karoq but now a skinny spare is also an option. 

Tom

Edited by Sanqhar

Deffo smaller than the standard SE 4x4 17” tyres.  6.7% difference in rolling circumference, not sure how that would work with the diff for any distance. 

B46DE17C-6C41-43D7-83A5-06AA8B6C2CAF.thumb.png.f29e576101114c9a137e87eb2d48dd85.png

Hi Tom

Apparently the Karoq 4 x 2 can have an almost full size spare (215/60 R 16) if ordered at the time the car is bought.  It can also be ordered with a skinny spare (125/70 R 18)at the time of purchase.  The local Skoda parts guy told me that, if a spare had not been ordered from new and was required after the purchase then only the skinny wheel could be ordered. This would still have to have a polystyrene insert fitted which would be as per the photos earlier but is different to this $X$ kit..

What has been discovered by others on this site is that, by using the kit to add the skinny spare wheel to a 4 x 4 version the 4 x 2 can be fitted with the larger wheel and I guess that is what would be fitted if ordered at purchase. Looking at my install of the slightly thinner Octavia wheel the 215 Karoq wheel would go in perfectly.  I haven't tried it yet but it looks like even the 17" road wheel would fit as well which is the same section (215/55) but on a 17" wheel.

I’ve got to try and fit a full sized wheel in the 4x4 boot as a spare.  I know it will take up space but I’m OK with that, I don’t fancy being in the back of beyond relying on the skinny spare to do the several hundred mile haul home.  Unfortunately no tie down eyes in the boot area so can’t just ratchet strap a wheel/tyre combo in there. 😕

Good luck with that sir. The kit I fitted is for the 4x4 but only gives you the height necessary for the skinny spare. That being said don't under estimate the use of the skinny spare. Sure it is listed as 50 miles at 50 mph, (at least that's what most spares are), but I've seen them go a fair distance further although I wouldn't go over that 50mph speed advice. After all it is only meant as a get you home measure and it is rare these days to pick up a puncture in a good tyre.  Fair enough a blow out on the Mway will result in spare having to be fitted but a screw in a tyre will lose air surporisingly slowly and carrying a small compressor would almost certainly get you home without having to resort to the spare.

17 minutes ago, oldaaman said:

Good luck with that sir.

Might need a bit of luck!👍

We regularly do an almost 600 mile haul from Highlands to S of London, setting off at stupid o’clock on a Sunday, so the nightmare scenario is picking up a puncture 50 miles in.  That trashes my day and would have to try and sort out a tyre in Perth, on a Sunday, so more like trashing 2 days and needing an overnight stay.  We’re also planning a few long haul trips in far flung corners of Europe next year, when hopefully travelling will be more normal.

I haven’t taken a wheel off and just laid it in the boot to see if it fits, will need to do that first.  Not sure if taking the skinny spare out and seeing how I can fit it in that space would work.  

I see your problem. I think you will have to do some sort of carpentry to build up the sides to go underneath the polystyrene. I assume you have a 4x4 with a skinny spare in so already have the kit we have been talking about.

Yes, got the spare kit with jack etc & skinny spare so was thinking about some blocks on top of the polystyrene to get to the right height, plus trying to get the support in the middle of the wheel.  Mind you, that centre wheel well could be very useful for a recovery rope & jump leads.  I’ve got a second set of 17” rims but haven’t got as far as putting rims on, will bung on the skinny spare and have a play with a full sized rim & tyre. 👍