VRS MPG - Miles per Gallon

5 minutes ago, SkoctyvRSTDI220 said:

Ohh I don't worry about anything really. No its not a hybrid. Ok we obviously have different driving styles but that's fine, everyone is different and every car is different. :biggrin:

Some of us have longer noses as well.:kiss:

4 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

i understand but its nothing to do with driving styles, those figures are just not achievable, no disrespect. 

Possibly in your car, as stated previously every car is different. Does your car have an uprated turbo an S3 intercooler, custom turbo back exhaust, better flow air intake and air filter. If not then this is probably how my car achieves better mpg on a run. But driving round town stop and starting I need a extra diesel tank lol

2 hours ago, SkoctyvRSTDI220 said:

Possibly in your car, as stated previously every car is different. Does your car have an uprated turbo an S3 intercooler, custom turbo back exhaust, better flow air intake and air filter. If not then this is probably how my car achieves better mpg on a run. But driving round town stop and starting I need a extra diesel tank lol

yes (GTB2260VK turbo kit), yes (intercooler on the GTD is more than capable of keeping temps low enough (<40oC) even on the largest turbo upgrade so that doesnt factor) , yes (custom DPF and EGR delete with a stainless 3" down pipe and full FMS stainless system),  and yes (uprated hi-flow filter)  to all three actually.

I'm not being a smart a$$, but those results in real world terms are just not achievable with a 184 tdi CUNA/CUPA unless you are coasting like crazy even on a test track at a constant speed. (like i said no disrespect)

3 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

yes (GTB2260VK turbo kit), yes (intercooler on the GTD is more than capable of keeping temps low enough (<40oC) even on the largest turbo upgrade so that doesnt factor) , yes (custom DPF and EGR delete with a stainless 3" down pipe and full FMS stainless system),  and yes (uprated hi-flow filter)  to all three actually.

I'm not being a smart a$$, but those results in real world terms are just not achievable with a 184 tdi CUNA/CUPA unless you are coasting like crazy even on a test track at a constant speed. (like i said no disrespect)

2872 not the 2260 but doesn't make much  difference. I still achieve 70s on motorway regardless of what you say isn't achievable. :biggrin:

4 minutes ago, SkoctyvRSTDI220 said:

2872 not the 2260 but doesn't make much  difference. I still achieve 70s on motorway regardless of what you say isn't achievable. :biggrin:

Genuine journey average or instantaneous display? 

3 minutes ago, Kenai said:

So you're resetting the average once you get onto the motorway? 

At the traffic lights 10 meters from the slip road and at the end of the exit slip road traffic lights. Travelling at 70mph give or take 2/3mph either way. For overtaking slower traffic or slightly backing off for traffic also. 

A couple of years back I managed a 70mpg tank on a hired 1.6d manual Kia Ceed.

Most of the driving was on motorways with heavy but constantly moving traffic which meant I got the low aero drag benefit of unintentional tailgating from all the close traffic in all lanes. Speeds were mostly around the 60mph recommended on overhead gantries,  lower near junctions and occasionally up to the speed limit in between.

The only skill on my part was traffic anticipation and avoiding unnecessary use of brakes by mostly using engine braking. Average speed was a little below 60mph.

Not sure even a modded 2.0tdi would return 70mpg at 75mph. At lower average speeds in similar circumstances to mine it may well be possible.

Have you deleted the DPF?

Edited by Gerrycan

18 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

A couple of years back I managed a 70mpg tank on a hired 1.6d manual Kia Ceed.

Most of the driving was on motorways with heavy but constantly moving traffic which meant I got the low aero drag benefit of unintentional tailgating from all the close traffic in all lanes. Speeds were mostly around the 60mph recommended on overhead gantries,  lower near junctions and occasionally up to the speed limit in between.

The only skill on my part was traffic anticipation and avoiding unnecessary use of brakes by mostly using engine braking. Average speed was a little below 60mph.

Not sure even a modded 2.0tdi would return 70mpg at 75mph. At lower average speeds in similar circumstances to mine it may well be possible.

Have you deleted the DPF?

What do you think? :D

no point giving MPG for a modded car, we need to compare apples with apples.. MPG claims are one of my pet hates, more people lie or just don't know how to work it out properly or heaven forbid, take for granted what the trip computer reckons!

32 minutes ago, marko said:

no point giving MPG for a modded car, we need to compare apples with apples.. MPG claims are one of my pet hates, more people lie or just don't know how to work it out properly or heaven forbid, take for granted what the trip computer reckons!

Exactly. My mpg figures will be far different to figures from a standard car. I don't know why I get good mpg. I just do. I can't help that. 

1 hour ago, SkoctyvRSTDI220 said:

Exactly. My mpg figures will be far different to figures from a standard car. I don't know why I get good mpg. I just do. I can't help that. 

2872 is much thirstier than a 2260 ergo i should be able to attain much better results than 75mpg (that's never happening) 

exactly how are you measuring the MPG? via the maxi dot? what other things have you changed? wheels/tyres?

Edited by JohnnyType2

43 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

2872 is much thirstier than a 2260 ergo i should be able to attain much better results than 75mpg (that's never happening) 

exactly how are you measuring the MPG? via the maxi dot? what other things have you changed? wheels/tyres?

Oz racing alleggerita hlt wheels just over 7kg a wheel. No spare wheel or wheel well, been ground off and lightweight metal sheet welded in its place. Shaved off about 15/20kg. Proper cheap tyres cause they stick to road like glue.
2872 turbo kit. All hoses replaced with silicone tubing. Turbo back exhaust twin exit with no dpf, revo carbon series air intake. New race clutch and short shifter. Remap. Just to name a few.

If I cared I'd say sorry that I get better fuel numbers. But I really don't care that your car doesn't get the same numbers as mine. I just go with the trip. I'm not interested it trying to find out for myself to be honest. I just put fuel in it. 

23 hours ago, Kenai said:

Either all your mileage was around town in traffic or it was broken then. 

I think it was broken because a proportion of my commute was a quiet A road where you could stick the cruise control at 56mph and enjoy the world.

6 hours ago, SkoctyvRSTDI220 said:

Oz racing alleggerita hlt wheels just over 7kg a wheel. No spare wheel or wheel well, been ground off and lightweight metal sheet welded in its place. Shaved off about 15/20kg. Proper cheap tyres cause they stick to road like glue.
2872 turbo kit. All hoses replaced with silicone tubing. Turbo back exhaust twin exit with no dpf, revo carbon series air intake. New race clutch and short shifter. Remap. Just to name a few.

If I cared I'd say sorry that I get better fuel numbers. But I really don't care that your car doesn't get the same numbers as mine. I just go with the trip. I'm not interested it trying to find out for myself to be honest. I just put fuel in it. 

me either.... because there is no way on this planet you can empirically prove you are getting 75mpg out of a tuned CUPA/CUNA diesel no matter how much you want to believe it.

....You typed it then thought about it before hitting the post button? i dont want to call out BS but lets see some evidence (not a pic of your maxidot).

i dont even know why im in  dialogue about it because i think its a wind-up. "that's all i have to say about that"

Edited by JohnnyType2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

I'm just not seeing it.  I have a mapped 1.8tsi with S3 IC and some other trickery.  The best I've ever seen was 60mpg and that was deliberately slipstreaming semi-trailers at 100kph (60mph).  Given I've won competitions and money for fuel economy runs I think I'm pretty good at it.

I did manage 72mpg in a MK5 Golf 1.6L auto in one competition but it was a horrendously slow trip where we were threatened with disqualification if we didn't get a wriggle on.

To the 75mpg man - good on you if you are getting it but I hope you understand our sceptisism.

5 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

me either.... because there is no way on this planet you can empirically prove you are getting 75mpg out of a tuned CUPA/CUNA diesel no matter how much you want to believe it.

....You typed it then thought about it before hitting the post button? i dont want to call out BS but lets see some evidence (not a pic of your maxidot).

i dont even know why im in  dialogue about it because i think its a wind-up. "that's all i have to say about that"

There is a way and it's happening. Like I said I don't really care about my mpg. A guy asked If tdi owners wanted to give our numbers, so here I am screen to screen with a keyboard warrior. Dude I don't know why your mk3 doesn't get the same numbers and also don't care. 

No its more along the lines of filling the tank, driving the distance then refilling and crunching the numbers. Like I said previously numerous I don't care, don't have to prove anything to anyone. 

I don't know why either to be honest. You didn't even have to comment on my post but those warrior fingers couldn't wait to get into battle. Yes your correct, your really winding yourself up about it. 

(thank god, I thought you was going to continue wafflieon about it until you got better fuel figures) 

2 hours ago, brad1.8T said:

I'm just not seeing it.  I have a mapped 1.8tsi with S3 IC and some other trickery.  The best I've ever seen was 60mpg and that was deliberately slipstreaming semi-trailers at 100kph (60mph).  Given I've won competitions and money for fuel economy runs I think I'm pretty good at it.

I did manage 72mpg in a MK5 Golf 1.6L auto in one competition but it was a horrendously slow trip where we were threatened with disqualification if we didn't get a wriggle on.

To the 75mpg man - good on you if you are getting it but I hope you understand our sceptisism.

Yes I do understand your scepticism, yes it's hard to believe that the car gets good milage. If it helps when I had the car mapped he did 3 stock runs. The car was running strong at 191 BHP and remap put it to 222. 

Look guys that don't believe it, it's just not my problem unfortunately. Don't like it that's fine I didn't ask for acceptance on this matter. I simply replied to the guys post about tdi mpg. 

Recently I've been getting numbers like 25mpg but that's my own fault I guess. 

Best on a decent run in a standard 181bhp Vrs DSG was 66mpg. Standard 2.0Tdi SE manual best of 71mpg (147bhp) and same car mapped to 186bhp gave a best of 70mpg. I have always got good mpg over 36 years and more than 400,000 miles on the road.:biggrin:

On 17/03/2019 at 12:54, jonnyboy78 said:

Any Diesel vRS owners like to comment on real world mpg, going by the petrol numbers I am guessing they average around 50, always good to know when diesel is 10p more expensive but at the moment the diesels models are now cheaper to purchase than the petrols.

Done 53,000 miles in 30 months with my 2016 diesel vRS.

30,000 of those as it came from the factory I was averaging 41mpg on the daily mix of round town and the 6 mile dual carriage way drag to work followed by 3 miles of heavy traffic commute. On a run (say devon to manchester) I'd get pretty much bang on 50mpg on normal motorway speeds. 

The last 23,000 I've had a bluespark box in there and I'm getting 44mpg on the same commute. On a run (yesterday day I did Exeter-Bristol and back) it was 56mpg at normal motorway speeds.

Long term average prior to my last service was showing as 48.1mpg and it's quite rare that I dont get 450 miles out of a 45 litre fill up. 

PS. 

about to sign for a 245 challenge when this one goes back fun>economy