Coolant temperature increased to 102°C

Gabi4

After driving 30 minutes in town, for 9 km, mostly by waiting in traffic, and arrived at home, I noticed that the temperature of the coolant was at 102°C. Then, the cooler started and, in one minute, the temperature dropped to 90°C.

Oil temperature: 108°C

Outside temperature: 17°C

14000km

2.0TDI.

Do you think that is normal?

Note: With some minutes before arriving, the Start-Stop didn't stop the engine, because it was not possible to maintain an operating temperature. It was the first time I saw that reason. The temperature was then at 90°C. Strange. 

20190318_191041.jpg

I will check tomorrow morning the coolant level and also the oil level.

I don't think that the DPF was regenerating, because I did 1500 Km during this weekend and because the engine was at 700 rpm in idle..

MIN is OK if it sets that level.

Obviously not if it goes below.

?

Do you know where it was at when you got the car and have you looked at it since?

If you put in G13+ and top up to below the Max, it should stay there.

But be sure that a Main Dealership is told what happened ASAP and it is on the System.  That way nobody can say, never heard of that before.

21 hours ago, irfant said:

I own my 4th car from Skoda. The gauge never crossed the 90° line ever. IMO it is not normal

Have to agree 3rd Skoda for me and it never passes 90 not even on the hotest days (25 to 30 degrees on an exceptionally good day !)

Glad you found the cause and hopefully not too many issues caused by the fault. I bet some drivers would not have noticed.

It reminds me of my own stupidity when I was a teenager 35+ years ago and used my Grans mini to get to a university open day. I did not notice the engine getting too hot and wrecked it for her. She never blamed me and paid for repairs herself.

Still kicking myself for that and thanking her...

Would I have had the right for a replacement car while my car is in service, for 2-3 days? Still, my car has 14000km and is only 10 months old...

Edited by Gabi4

2 hours ago, Gabi4 said:

Would I have had the right for a replacement car while my car is in service, for 2-3 days? Still, my car has 14000km and is only 10 months old...

Did you not get one