Tailgate noise when opening / closing

Hi,

Anyone had experience of one of the struts starting to make a racket when opening and closing on the electric option? Sounds like it could do with a grease up, but the unit looks sealed. I assume they are something like a geared mechanism rather than hydraulic.

Answers on a postcard.

3 hours ago, unclerichy said:

Mine made a grinding noise after a few months and there was a white powdery residue on them in a couple of places. Replaced under warranty and no problems since.

Notice how I gallantly sacrificed my exit route to let you out the other day ? :D

33 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

Notice how I gallantly sacrificed my exit route to let you out the other day ? :D

You are a credit to the marque with your particularly shiny Superb :clap:  Shame you weren't holding back the traffic yesterday evening where it took 30 minutes to reach the parkway from the same spot.  Gotta love working in Sheffield :)

• Haha 1

Yes I saw you and took sadistic pleasure in going the opposite way knowing full well I would probably find you asleep and hungry in exactly the same position the next morning....

p.s the Superb is only shiny because every time it goes to the dealers they clean it for me. At the moment my dealer / home cleaning ratio favours the dealer by a large margin. 

On 27/03/2019 at 11:25, Nick_H said:

Mine occasionally does this when it's very hot. Last summer when it was 25+. Kind of a creaking / clicking noise ?

Yeah, weird sound. A bit like a dry gear or something. It did start in the heat, but is now doing it all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Just for reference for others. I also have just got this issue (so must be a common fault?). Comes and goes so will see what happens but will get it fixed under warranty if it continues.

I also got the white residue on the struts.

Edited by BenSh

• 2 years later...

Any update on the issue of squeaking noisy tailgate struts on the Superbs?  For sure its a lubrication  problem ,,,but seems to be a kinda lubed for life setup. Anyone find solution for it?

Ours have always made a terrible creaking sound during both opening and closing. Lookers wouldn’t change the struts under warranty as they said they “hadn’t failed” which is true. I’d certainly like any ideas on how to shut them up though!