Timing belt change..

That belt will definitely last its lifetime and then break :D

If they were able to get every owner to stump up for a belt change every 5 years and/or XYZ miles then 100% of belt failures would be due to incorrect fitment by themselves!

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, captainklutz said:

hi,car (2014 octavia 1.2 petrol) went to skoda dealer last week for service and was told that with car being 5 yrs old it was due for cam belt change.took car today for belt renewal and was phoned later in the day to be told that as there was no maintenance info in their system for my car for belt change that the belt is classed as a lifetime belt(?!) and therefore did not require replacing.they actually turned down money.anyway got them to give me a print out stating that it was a lifetime belt.this has left me uneasy on the fact that in previous post everyone said to get belt changed and no-one mentioned anything about a lifetime belt.any info would be greatly received.thanks.see print out below

IMG_0403.jpeg

Look on the flip side of the coin. If the belt does break you'll be getting a new engine  free of charge from skoda uk!

That's the thing what DOES "lifetime belt" mean? Does it mean the lifetime of the engine (ignoring the belt) or does it mean the lifetime of the belt?

If the latter then if that's less than the lifetime of the engine then a belt change is required.

IMHO the phrase "lifetime (component)" has no useful meaning.

22 hours ago, Stuart-h said:

Look on the flip side of the coin. If the belt does break you'll be getting a new engine  free of charge from skoda uk!

i just couldn't take there word on it, no disrespect to them but i wanted something that at least showed i took car to have belt changed and it was told it wasn't required.service guy told me it was time for change because 5 yrs old, then when took for change mechanic inspected and said these belts don't require renewal.hopefully nothing will happen but should have a bit of back up

• Like 1

On 08/04/2019 at 16:44, captainklutz said:

hi,car (2014 octavia 1.2 petrol) went to skoda dealer last week for service and was told that with car being 5 yrs old it was due for cam belt change.took car today for belt renewal and was phoned later in the day to be told that as there was no maintenance info in their system for my car for belt change that the belt is classed as a lifetime belt(?!) and therefore did not require replacing.they actually turned down money.anyway got them to give me a print out stating that it was a lifetime belt.this has left me uneasy on the fact that in previous post everyone said to get belt changed and no-one mentioned anything about a lifetime belt.any info would be greatly received.thanks.see print out below

IMG_0403.jpeg

Can I please ask which dealer is that...