No luck updating Nav

I followed the update instructions on the update portal, it takes forever to download and unpack the zip file. Having done that it went into the SD card slot. Headunit unable to read the data on the SD card when prompted to update the nav. SD card back in the laptop and it is fubar. Can't open or format the SD card. No idea how I'm going to recover it. An expensive SD card is now a useless piece of plastic. Any advice or has someone else came across this problem of the nav not reading the data?

Does the pc recognise inserting the media?  If so then there is hope.  You should be able to format it.  If the standard windows software doesnt work then search the web for something (there are loads available) and try recopying the data over.  Good practice is to backup the existing data before doing anything to it.  That way you have a fallback if needed, which I did when atempting to update last year.  In the end I gave up and use google nav instead.

5 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

Good practice is to backup the existing data before doing anything to it.  That way you have a fallback if needed

But if you have an Amundsen then you have to use a genuine Skoda SD card... so if the one you have becomes cream-crackered then you have to buy a new one (get it off eBay like I did...).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tanneman said:

SD card back in the laptop and it is fubar. Can't open or format the SD card. 

1 hour ago, MarkyG82 said:

You can still format it and move data back and forth like a regular sd.  Just has some coding in it to tell the system that it's a genuine card.

Indeed, but tanneman has said he can't open or format the SD card when in his laptop.

That's why I suggested finding another program that might have more features. If I were to go full nerd I'd suggest downloading a Linux distribution and loading a live DVD to try that. I'm guessing as he's asking here that he's not into that sort of thing. I'm trying to offer ways he might be able to recover his card before having to spend on a new one.

The problem is partly the SD card but that I can sort in time, not at home but at work. I have found another source for the nav update by searching on here and downloading it but it is not going on a SD card until I know what is causing the failure and corruption of the SD card. There is enough space for the data so no worries there. It is the same SD card as used for the camera, class 10 High Capacity.

For info it is a Columbus Nav.

The questions are (as it was not clear from the OP):

Why has the nav not read the SD card?

What is the difference between the Skoda nav SD card and one off the shelf?

What format does it need to be?

Columbus is a different ball game. I have read that you can use off the shelf cards as it reads the data onto its own hard drive.

You'll have to get someone else to help with that as I only have an Amundsen.

You can use any 32Gb SD card to update the Columbus, but it must be blank to start with. You don't say whether you are using a Windows or Mac laptop. There are problems with using a Mac as it leaves spurious files on the SD card that prevents the update on the Columbus. You can also update via USB if you want with a USB stick or an external hard drive plugged into the USB port.

The card should be formatted as FAT32 and should have only the following on after unpacking:

metainfo2.txt

WMPInfo.xml

Folder Mib2

Folder Mib1

This, of course, assumes that your Columbus is an MIB1 or MIB2 version and not one of the earlier RN510 versions

Edited by Paulius55
Added more detail

At the risk of being too simplistic, have you slid the lock on the SD card into the locked position? This would stop formatting or putting anything onto the card. 

5 hours ago, Paulius55 said:

The card should be formatted as FAT32 and should have only the following on after unpacking:

metainfo2.txt

WMPInfo.xml

Folder Mib2

Folder Mib1

This, of course, assumes that your Columbus is an MIB1 or MIB2 version and not one of the earlier RN510 versions

That is what was on the card. The car is a 63reg. Does it mean it can be a RN510 and what is the difference? The manual is for a Columbus.

1 minute ago, tanneman said:

The car is a 63reg. Does it mean it can be a RN510...

The manual is for a Columbus.

If it's an Octavia III then it will be a MIB1 Columbus.

Mine is a 13 plate and is the MIB1 Columbus. I have updated my maps at least 8 times with no problems. You can use either SD slot on the unit.

Edited by Paulius55
Extra Info.

4 hours ago, MediumDave said:

At the risk of being too simplistic, have you slid the lock on the SD card into the locked position? This would stop formatting or putting anything onto the card. 

But should still be able to read, which he says he can't.