Power steering warning light?

Hi,

Ive a 2001 fabia 1.4 mpi, out of the blue as i was driving along the power steering warning light came on. i pulled over, turned engine off,waited a mo, turned on again and light had gone out, its not been on since.

I called into garage on way home as it had a full service 2 weeks ago, mechanic told me it happens sometimes and not to worry about - difficult not to worry, surely a warning light is there for a reason?

Anyone else had this, or have any suggestions what i should do - bearing in mind i'm a typical woman i'm afraid and therefore only know the very basics about what goes on under a car bonnet but am keen to learn!

Thanks in advance

Trufles

:confused:

Have a search on here - it's a relatively common problem and is either down to the battery not having enough charge or the PAS sensor. I'm sure a local Briskodian with VAG-COM will be happy to read off any fault codes that were logged to narrow it down :D

Chris

Hi

Yes as you said a warning light is a warning light and should not be ignored.

There was a very common problem with the Fabia`s with the Angle Senosor.

Skoda knew of this and carried it over to a 4th year of warranty.

It could possibly be 5 but dont quote me on it.

The sensor can go at any time and would not really have been picked up at all when it was serviced.

You do need to get VAG COM on it as you would need to determin if it was the sensor.

Sometimes it could just be down to low power steering fluid.

Get it checked.

If it is the sensor then it could possibly be worth checking with Customer Care to see if they would help you with the cost of replacememt.

Hope this helps you

Sarah

Ive just been on my first long run in the skoda and on a 200 miles drive the power steering light came on 7 times, each time i pulled in, turned off engine and waited a mo, restarted engine and the light was off, for a while at least!

One odd thing, light on or off, the steering didnt appear to be affected at all, it was as light as always so clearly the power steering was still working despite the warning light!

My bf finally located the power steering fluid bottle after a hunt worthy of a medal (wow, its cunningly hidden isnt it!) and topped it up, it seems to have helped a bit but not cured the prob as on the return journey the light came on but only once, a definite improvement but i'd be happier if it didnt come on at all!

Ive booked it in with the closest dealer i could find for a full diagnostic tomorrow so hopefully they will come up with a definitive answer!

Thanks for your help

:)

Someone who lives nearby with VAG-COM could have scanned the diagnostics for you and saved you the ££.

Search for a thread called VAG-COM Map.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just had the same problem of PAS light coming on and steering seemed sluggish. Or was it my imagination ? Anyone know where power steering fluid bottle is and what fluid to use ?

my 2000 Fabia Elegence 1.4 16v

Anyone know where power steering fluid bottle is and what fluid to use ?

my 2000 Fabia Elegence 1.4 16v

its under the front edge of the battery box on a VRS , so i'd try there first , pig to get at though :(

Will any green Mineral oil work as I have a tonne of LHM fro when I had the BX :p

he he :)

please don't do it ! i dont think thats compatable with anything other than a citroen and rolls royce:thumbup:

Ok, my fabia was booked in for a dignostic at dealers but the day before i took it, my bf topped up the power steering fluid with a 'stop leek' fluid just in case and it was much better only coming on once on the 200 mile drive home as opposed to the 7 times on the drive there lol! it was a total pig to get at though, cunningly hidden under the battery so the car had to be partially dismantled just to get at that magic green lid!

I took it to dealers and yes, its a faulty sensor which is being replaced next week for

...Dealer said its not vital to be done as power steering is ok but i'd rather have it sorted for peace of mind cos if there was a gen problem i'd never know otherwise! Its a very common prob apparently!:)

I don't understand that either, i.e. how the PAS is the first indicator of other things which either do or perhaps should have their own warning lights?

As it's apparently not a major problem if the PAS drops out (i.e. you can still steer but not with power assistance), it's very confusing.

Glad yours is sorted :thumbup:

Mo

Thanks, it was a worry cos i spend a lot of time in my car, i dont get it either but so long as its sorted i've given up trying to figure the mechanics logic out lol!!

:smrbow:

• 2 weeks later...

had same problem on wifes estate, usually on a very cold morning, in the end the dealer replaced the pump etc, no probs now. get it sorted under warenty adsthe bill wouls have been large!

Anyone replaced one of those sensors? Is it a big job? Are they available from anywhere other than a Skoda dealer? GSF maybe?

i just had my sensor replaced today and so far no more annoying warning light! :thumbup:

local dealer did it (cos anything other than oil and water top ups is a tad beyond me i'm ashamed to say) had alt belt replaced too

well, so far so good, warning light not come on once so its deff worth having done in my opinion, for peace of mind if nothing else!

might be my imagination, but having sensor and alt. belt done seems to make it run better too?!

We had this on our Fabia. I promise you - its far, far more likely to be the PAS Angle Sensor ... fluid doesn't need to be topped up.

Fabia got dropped into the local Skoda dealer. Was expecting at least another €50 fitting on top of the €70-odd for the part. On return to the garage, were told that it was fixed and there was no charge. The benefits of buying and servicing your car at one garage...