Tailgate CLOSING by itself

So I have had the car for just a week, and have already been clonked on the head three or four times by the boot closing itself.

We open the tailgate using the remote.  After the boot has been open for about 30 seconds, the boot closes itself again - usually onto our heads as we are bent over getting something out of the boot.

I can’t find anywhere this is set?

Note, this is out of warranty.  I need to get it back to the garage as the tailgate handle doesn’t work, but I don’t know whether this is another fault, or if it’s a setting somewhere I have missed.

Si.

Do you have the kick-to-open / close option? If your feet are moving underneath the sensor it is possible you are activating it by accident. Worth checking out.

According to the manual it is under "car - settings - opening and closing - easy open". It can be disabled.

2 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Do you have the kick-to-open / close option? If your feet are moving underneath the sensor it is possible you are activating it by accident. Worth checking out.

According to the manual it is under "car - settings - opening and closing - easy open". It can be disabled.

This was my initial thoughts, but the Virtual Pedal closing was not available on the early MK3 Superb, which as it’s to of warranty I assume it is an earlyish car?

1 minute ago, Simkna said:

No, it has no leg-waving option.

Simon.

Fair enough. The only other thing I can think of (except for a fault) is if the button is being pressed inadvertently when you are reaching into the boot. I've done this myself a number of times when the fob is in a tight pocket. The boot open / close button sits proud of the fob so it is easily done.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Only within the 1st month, mine that's got the virtual pedal feature, has twice decided to close while I was leaned to grab stuff from the boot or similar and the sensor was activated. The closing can't be blocked by sensing an obstacle and it's properly powerful. Both times I've heard the warning and backed out in time.

I've seen the warning tone de-activation mod via VCDS and was considering it before taking delivery of the car but I can vouch it's a serious hazard and I'll be leaving it on. It doesn't take much absence of attention or external noise to not realize you've activated the closing and end up seriously injured.

• Like 1

Wondering if it could be related to the auto lock function, ie. boot unlocked and opened but neither of front doors have been opened, I realise that opening the boot does not normally unlock the doors but that does not mean the car doesn't do the check for auto lock and with the tail handle broken the car may not be getting the correct status of the boot.

In other words, while you have a known issue with the boot open/close i.e. tail handle doesn't work, it is possible that this issue is a symptom of that fault.

On 07/04/2019 at 15:54, BriskodaJeff said:

Fair enough. The only other thing I can think of (except for a fault) is if the button is being pressed inadvertently when you are reaching into the boot. I've done this myself a number of times when the fob is in a tight pocket. The boot open / close button sits proud of the fob so it is easily done.

This would be my guess too, the buttons on the remotes are not a great design and loads of people have issues with windows or the hatch opening ‘all by their self’ which usually ends up being a pressed key fob in their pocket or bag etc.

Definitely wasn’t that in this case, but I know what you mean...  I have disabled the boot pop on my Seat for just this reason (same Keys).  Coming out of the house in the morning and finding your boot wide open and that it has been rifled through is not a nice feeling.

Si.

• 2 years later...

Hi... just wondered if you resolved this issue?   I have been thinking microswitch in the handle, as that is temperamental (doesn't work everytime).   Sometime's the boot opens as normal, other times it opens only on the key fob  beeping as standard or silently… it can close at any time without warning, under power!!   Did you fix it or live with it ?  The dealer wanted to replace the struts... then said maybe the boot handle... seemed like an unknown issue.       

Thank's @digifish there was a similar thread elsewhere and they believed it was resolved with a replacement boot handle.  This has been my suspicion too.  Our handle is temperamental and the other occurrences I have heard of, all had non-functioning boot handles. 

I think the microswitch fails in the handle and causes the open/close commands to be sent erratically.  Hoping the handle replacement resolves the issue.  Doesn't appear to be very common.. and the dealership headed straight for a £1000+ strut replacement.  A Boot handle is about £140.

I will post again if/when resolved.     Hopefully before the unrelenting boot closure guillotines our dog !  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 07/04/2019 at 15:41, Simkna said:

So I have had the car for just a week, and have already been clonked on the head three or four times by the boot closing itself.

We open the tailgate using the remote.  After the boot has been open for about 30 seconds, the boot closes itself again - usually onto our heads as we are bent over getting something out of the boot.

I can’t find anywhere this is set?

Note, this is out of warranty.  I need to get it back to the garage as the tailgate handle doesn’t work, but I don’t know whether this is another fault, or if it’s a setting somewhere I have missed.

Si.

Hi, I was wondering if you have solved this problem? 

I have the same problem with my 2016 Superb.

• 1 month later...

Someone found the fix for the problem? I have superb 2017 the same problem after 30 secunds self closing. If someone can help it woud be awsome . Tnx in advance.

On 11/12/2023 at 10:56, matic100 said:

Have you find the solution for the problem ? If you fix it plsss helf what was the problem ?p.s and i hope you dog survive the boot 🤣🤣🤣

When the tailgate handle/switch of my car turned out to be faulty, the hatch closed by itself after some time or closed immediately when I opened the back door! Not exactly the same concern more or less similar.

Changing the handle solved the problem.

• Love it! 1