Skoda Connect

I've been having issues with the Skoda Connect liking my wife's iPhone and not mine for a while now. Is there any way I can install this update myself or is it a dealer job?

Wonder if a s/w update will help?

When I connect my iPhone 7 it it just circles Detecting USB and then doesn't like my device. With the wife's phone it comes up into CarPlay. Mine used to work fine.

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

You're not missing anything.

I am OVERWHELMED (not) by this radical update. Plenty of turd polishing, now with flashy carousel tiling  Information that would easily fit on one page spread over several..

There is ONE major change that I noticed. As an imperialist, I have selected mpg....look at my consumption plotted in their bar graph. Higher mpg equates to shorter bars, yeah......their super probably overpaid app programmers too lazy to check anything. Mpg is NOT the same as l/100km !!!!

They offered me a discount to renew. Still a ridiculous price. I wouldn't consider paying at all in fact, as this app is the way dealers track you and pester you for servicing work. As they probably have access to my cars location, speed and other data this is IMO a big Privacy issue.

So next month it'll be Skoda Disconnect.

• Haha 2

Apart from whoever is having technical issues, which is a different discussion, I sense a bit too much negativity maybe?

I personally like the concept a lot. I can easily browse my driving data (consumption, range) whenever I want to do so and to check on the car's condition (locked doors and windows), start the auxilliary heating or ventilation prior to getting in the car, check on its location and lock/unlock it remotely. I believe these are supposed to be the main functions and on my Android phone at least they work pretty smooth without issues. Also, while I didn't think the latest upgrade was necessary in terms of GUI (the app was intuitive and functional enough as it was already) I noticed there are some new interesting functionalities:

Notification when the car goes out of a predefined area that you select on the map and when it exceeds a certain speed. Both are a nice extra layer of monitoring (some people are actually paying to have these on their cars) whether it's about unauthorized driving of the car or to be aware of what speed the valet or the garage did when they had the car in their hands...

Nicety not necessity maybe but so far, with all the current functionalities on offer and the trouble-free operation I am considering subscribing when the free period is out.

Edited by newbie69

Speed notifications were available on the old version. What use would speed notifications be? Not while I'm driving as I already have a speedometer, programmable speed warning, speed limiter and even traffic sign recognition. I don't have android auto so illegally using my mobile to check a (delayed) speed notification while driving will cost me £100/6 points/hundreds on my insurance cost and may lead to an accident.

If I lent my car to someone else, what would speed notifications or monitoring the location of my car achieve? Apart from an illegal invasion of privacy into someone else's domain. Its not even an intelligent speed notification so setting it at 75mph won't tell me if the car sped around town. It could tell me if someone was lying about where they were going....

If the car is stolen, or broken into, its too late. People who had theirs stolen report they couldn't access the whereabouts of their car. Skoda would not give out any information, under their obligations under the data protection laws.

I did once get a notification of an alarm event only after I logged in the day after "the event", no email or SMS which might have been more useful. Well it wasn't even a notification, it was just recorded under the alarm notification section which I happened to stumble on when checking out the new version. No further information about what triggered the alarm (I knew it was the dog locked in the car so from internal sensors)

Offer Price for renewal for Remote Access reduced to £36 from £54 (until 30-6-2019), for infotainment Online services £63 (reducing to £44 from Sept 2019???) so it would cost me £99 to renew total package.

Is that a reasonable cost for a very simple and flawed android/iOS  app? A full blown Microsoft office subscription is considered expensive at £60/year (discounts available).  Android apps rarely cost more than £10 for life and hardly ever on a subscription model.

Didn't they make enough money on my £30,000 car?

End of xman rant....

Edited by xman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, xman said:

Speed notifications were available on the old version. What use would speed notifications be? Not while I'm driving as I already have a speedometer, programmable speed warning, speed limiter and even traffic sign recognition. I don't have android auto so illegally using my mobile to check a (delayed) speed notification while driving will cost me £100/6 points/hundreds on my insurance cost and may lead to an accident.

If I lent my car to someone else, what would speed notifications or monitoring the location of my car achieve? Apart from an illegal invasion of privacy into someone else's domain. Its not even an intelligent speed notification so setting it at 75mph won't tell me if the car sped around town. It could tell me if someone was lying about where they were going....

If the car is stolen, or broken into, its too late. People who had theirs stolen report they couldn't access the whereabouts of their car. Skoda would not give out any information, under their obligations under the data protection laws. I did get notification of an alarm event only when I logged in the day after "the event", no email or SMS which might have been more useful. Well it was by even a notification, it was just recorded under the alarm notification section. No information about what triggered the alarm (it was the dog locked in the car so internal sensors)

Offer Price for renewal for Remote Access reduced to £36 from £54 (until 30-6-2019), for infotainment Online devices £63 (reducing to £44 from Sept 2019???) so it would cost me £99 to renew total package.

Is that a reasonable cost for a simple and flawed android/iOS  app? A full blown Microsoft office subscription is considered expensive at £60/year (discounts available).  Android apps rarely cost more than £10, and hardly ever on a subscription model.

End of subdued rant....

Speed notifications are clearly not intended for you when driving the vehicle :thinking: but as a way to monitor the behavior of other people in the car. Together with area notifications they can provide information of unauthorized or even illegal use of your car as I said earlier (valets, garages of any sort (not necessarily Skoda dealerships) that you occasionally have to leave the keys of your car to etc. Surely it could be improved further with as you say intelligent monitors based on speed limits or quicker alerts (haven't tried that but response could potentially improve with further updates? but there already several cases I can think of that it would be handy. If I saw even a 50mph alert while the car was supposed to be parked to the hotel's parking (which is when I would activate it anyway) I would know something is wrong... What you can actually do with that information later on is a whole different discussion but having it is definitely not bad. And that is only one part of the functionalities. There's a bunch of other things that are available.

I mean don't get me wrong I totally accept these functionalities may be indifferent/useless to you due to your particular use scenarios, location, interests but ownership conditions can vary very much and there are other cases where those services would be of greater use, that's all. To me for example they are already to some extent.

Regarding the price and comparing it to a MS service of millions of users is apples and oranges imo. £36/annum for the Remote access is something I would definitely get, that's what is the most useful bit for the reasons I explained. Infotainment online I am not even using now so I would pass on that one.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know about problems after a specific update or date, but when I got a new phone (Samsung Galaxy S10) the Skoda Connect app stopped working alltogether. I mean it won't open at all on the new the phone which loaded the app automatically from Play Store, as I had it (and happily used it) in my previous phone (Samsung Galaxy S7). Now when I click the Skoda Connect it just flashes very briefly and nothing seems to happen. If I try to open it again it says "SKODA Connect keeps stopping" and gives Android crash options to close/send feedback etc. On the old phone it still works fine. Wouldn't like to keep two phones just for the sake of this app. MySkoda app, Skoda One App and all other (more than 100) apps open normally in the S10.

Has anyone else noticed similar problems that more recent phones or Android versions would crash the app? Could there be a some setting which prevents it from working? 

2 hours ago, Lupa said:

I don't know about problems after a specific update or date, but when I got a new phone (Samsung Galaxy S10) the Skoda Connect app stopped working alltogether. I mean it won't open at all on the new the phone which loaded the app automatically from Play Store, as I had it (and happily used it) in my previous phone (Samsung Galaxy S7). Now when I click the Skoda Connect it just flashes very briefly and nothing seems to happen. If I try to open it again it says "SKODA Connect keeps stopping" and gives Android crash options to close/send feedback etc. On the old phone it still works fine. Wouldn't like to keep two phones just for the sake of this app. MySkoda app, Skoda One App and all other (more than 100) apps open normally in the S10.

Has anyone else noticed similar problems that more recent phones or Android versions would crash the app? Could there be a some setting which prevents it from working? 

Any pending system updates for the S10 maybe? No issues with my Huawei P20 Pro running the latest Pie update 9.0.0.270. Not that there had been with previous versions of Android 8 and 9.

Did look at renewing the sub, but since the email link didn’t take you to a renewal page I didn’t bother.

Don’t miss it at all. As far as I could see it offered nothing more than a chance for Skoda & its dealers to hoover up my personal data.

2 hours ago, newbie69 said:

Any pending system updates for the S10 maybe? No issues with my Huawei P20 Pro running the latest Pie update 9.0.0.270. Not that there had been with previous versions of Android 8 and 9.

All seems up to date. Pie 9. Not sure about the exact version as it's Probably flavoured by Samsung. Samsungs latest updates are installed anyhow.  The brand import company (or how is it said in English) is investigating. Will have to see if they come up with a solution. As I live in the north the ability to turn the auxiliary heater on is the main reason for using it. Also maybe the ability to check if doors are open and close them remotely.

If no solution is found then maybe I'll use the Skoda Connect web site through a phone browser. That should do the same tricks I assume. Though the app would have been a lot handier.

23 minutes ago, Lupa said:

All seems up to date. Pie 9. Not sure about the exact version as it's Probably flavoured by Samsung. Samsungs latest updates are installed anyhow.  The brand import company (or how is it said in English) is investigating. Will have to see if they come up with a solution. As I live in the north the ability to turn the auxiliary heater on is the main reason for using it. Also maybe the ability to check if doors are open and close them remotely.

If no solution is found then maybe I'll use the Skoda Connect web site through a phone browser. That should do the same tricks I assume. Though the app would have been a lot handier.

Probably something that will be fixed with some update either on the app or OS side I guess.

I quite like the app. Checking on the position and locking status, activating the aux heater and browsing the driving data remotely can come handy.

On 06/05/2019 at 07:15, Lupa said:

I got a Samsung Galaxy S10 today, to replace a Galaxy S8, and have the exact same problem, so it is a matter of waiting to see what happens at the next update.

There is global problem, unit must be restated at dealer service but it is not final solution and issue can come back. Skoda is working on the issue with Skoda Connect.

I got a response from Skoda and with these instructions Skoda Connect App started working in my S10. It was pretty simple. Just go to the phone settings > apps and find Skoda Connect App from there. Then select storage and click clear data and clear cache. After that the app started normally. I just did this so I don't know if this is a permanent solution, but at first glance it seemd to work.

• 1 year later...

Yes, new superb L and K, cannot activate change of car, deleted old car but tearing what little hair I have out. Do not get me on primary user registration I must be a complete idiot.