What oil for 1.0 TSI 110?

I've noticed on cold start up, the top end is tappity for about a second or so. Guess that's the very thin oil! Anyway, I found a dealer that actually knows about the change and put VW508 in.

21 hours ago, BarryG said:

I've noticed on cold start up, the top end is tappity for about a second or so.

Thinking back, every small VAG engine I've ever owned has woken from deep slumber with something of a clatter for the first few seconds.

I can't really say that I do any better in the mornings, to be honest.

Edited by ettlz

Yes gumdrop, that's one of the oils I've been working with. It is a great oil and seems to perform at the top end of good, with oil film strength around the 85,000psi range (tested using internationally recognised methods). That's really good.

On 22/06/2019 at 14:39, gumdrop said:

Gumdrop, ignore ALL USA forums on oil. They don't have the same spec engines in many cases and Americans have very strange idea's about oil. Not even sure if many of the cars they get will even have GPF's as their rules are very different in many states.

46 minutes ago, GeneralPurpose said:

Gumdrop, ignore ALL USA forums on oil. They don't have the same spec engines in many cases and Americans have very strange idea's about oil. Not even sure if many of the cars they get will even have GPF's as their rules are very different in many states.

Black gold, texas tea, I had an idea that they were talking out of their Trump(ets)

Looking for oil I came across 1ltr of Volkswagen longlife VW 508/509 0W-20  £28.58!

Edited by gumdrop

10 minutes ago, gumdrop said:

Mobil 1, is what I ordered, as a just in case top up.

I'll be using Mobil1's recommended (which oddly is 0W40 rated WV 502) after my extended warranty and service plan runs out. I can do two oil and filter changes for less than £100, so i may end up going for shorter oil changes too, i'll be keeping my car for quite some time so i want it to last! Looking about for options with transmission fluid too, after 10k miles or so with my new box i may flush it

FabiaGonzales, it will do no harm to change out your gearbox oil (as long as you refill correctly with the right stuff) but it is totally unnecessary for most folks. We tested gearboxes over a range of mileages and it made no actual difference to longevity as to whether or not someone changed the oil in it more frequently than required. I blueprinted the gearboxes from new and then re-blueprinted them at 75,000 and 125,000 miles and found not one micron of extra wear on the boxes that had not had the oil changed early or more frequently. These were our test ( a range of cars) vehicles driven very hard. In fact, many manual gearboxes these days do not require a gearbox oil change, but it depends on the car. I don't know what the instruction is for the 5spd 1.2TSI.

3 minutes ago, GeneralPurpose said:

I don't know what the instruction is for the 5spd 1.2TSI.

As far as i'm aware, it's a "sealed for life" job. I'm not sure what the norm interval is for changing oil in the gearbox, but i want to keep my new box as healthy as possible.

I've found this as the genuine replacement oil; https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/genuine-gear-oil-1l-g-052-512-a2.html

I'll probably replace the oil after it's been run-in at maybe 10k miles, but then i'll leave it at that. After what happened with my original, i want to make sure my new one won't suffer the same fate, that being said, the synchro-mesh in 5th gear actually works in this one, it always crunched in 5th on the old one and that was the problem. I'd like to be on the safe side anyway.

As for your knowledge of gearboxes, mine is a little noisy in 2nd when getting toward the high revs, i'm assuming this will go away soon ish as the box wears in? (you can hear it about 4000 rpm to about 6000 rpm)

I managed to get an 8.99 second 0-60 in a completely stock 90BHP fabia, which supposedly only does 0-60 in 10.9? .. imagine with a remap and hybrid turbo... *grins*

Note, i don't normally do launches, i did it as a one-off while also trying to record the 2nd gear sound.

Gearboxes are notoriously slow in 'bedding in' from new. It's the last part of the car's mechanicals to do so. I actually couldn't hear anything not right with your gearbox on the video. Not saying there isn't a noise there, just it doesn't really show up to me on the vid.  I think your engine is the 95ps version of the 1.2TSI.  The earlier 1.2TSI was 90ps. They go well and it will be putting out more than the factory quoted figure, They all do. Is yours in standard form or is it tuned?

25 minutes ago, GeneralPurpose said:

Gearboxes are notoriously slow in 'bedding in' from new. It's the last part of the car's mechanicals to do so. I actually couldn't hear anything not right with your gearbox on the video. Not saying there isn't a noise there, just it doesn't really show up to me on the vid.  I think your engine is the 95ps version of the 1.2TSI.  The earlier 1.2TSI was 90ps. They go well and it will be putting out more than the factory quoted figure, They all do. Is yours in standard form or is it tuned?

It's completely stock, 15 plate but MY16 (august 15), it's down on every document as a 89bhp 90PS, didnt know they did 95ps version of the 1.2

I've had somewhat below average MPG (low 40's rather than mid-high 40's) since the gearbox swap, i dont usually go far out of the city and when im in the city i keep my windows open rather than having aircon running. Ive only done about 200-300 miles since it was replaced.

The old box was really quiet in second (other than the kinda nice whirr from 1500-2500 ish rpm).

Looking at future options though, the MQ250 is a direct drop-in swap, unsure if it requires swapping the gear-lever inside car though but clutch / bell housing and all mountings are the exact same.

• 3 months later...

The only reason Skoda use VW 508.00 in the factory is because it's so thin (0W20), it helps them achieve their bold emissions claims.

At the first service almost all UK dealers use VW 507.00 (5W30), thicker and low ash for DPF's and GPF's. My dealer told me this is the only oil they stock.

Suits me, I'll happily sacrifice a few mpg for longer term reliability.

So if you're topping up before the first service, best to use VW 508.00, if it's had its first service already stick to VW 507.00.

• Like 1