Smoke from engine bay!

I noticed some white smoke coming from underneath the bonnet after about half an hour of driving, it seemed to be coming from the back of the engine roughly where the clutch slave cylinder is & I also noticed some sort of fluid on the engine tray along with an horrible acrid burning smell, the burning smell & smoke seemed to stop after about ten minutes of the engine been switched off. I noticed the car had been doing a regen & that's when the burning & smoke seemed to start.

Both coolant temp & oil temp were spot on & the coolant level hadn't dropped & the AA guy sent by skoda assist said the brake fluid was slightly under the max marker, it was back at skoda last year after I had the low brake fluid warning light on & I was told a pipe to the clutch slave cylinder had split & had to be replaced but I haven't had any warning lights on so I'm not sure what caused the smoke.

The car has been dumped back at hayseldens yet again to be looked at, starting to get fed up with the damn thing as it seems to spend more time at the main dealers than on my drive way.

1 hour ago, Rich_84 said:

hayseldens

Hmm, personally having gone in there to order anti-roll-bar bushes, and something else i can't remember, they were unhelpful, not particularly welcoming and somewhat rude.

A stark difference to my usual dealers who are much more friendly, welcoming and generally try their best to help you out.

On a more serious note, when doing a DPF regen, the exhaust area can get very (incredibly) hot, so literally anything in the nearby vicinity could be boiling/melting/burning off. My car is missing the tray underneath as a pothole managed to somehow rip half the screws out and it started making alot of noise, and occasionally bits of rubbish (plastic bags) from the road like to get stuck in there, and often end up smelling pretty bad as they melt/burn on the exhaust. It's going in for gearbox repairs on friday so it'll be getting that panel re-fitted finally.

Get them to check if there's any pipes/lines that are melted or if anything nearby is melted, a friend had his old cars handbrake cables seize up, a heat-shield had rusted off and the cables had sagged and the plastic outer shell eventually melted under the heat of the exhaust, jamming the metal line inside.

Usually it's as FabiaGonzales says, something gets stuck on the exhaust or in that tray which ends up getting burned.  Let us know what the garage finds out.

FabiaGonzales, is your gearbox the 6spd unit or 5spd? Is your issue a problem with first or reverse gear selection requiring new gearbox idler gear and some other gears? Sorry to op if going off topic.

3 minutes ago, Estate Man said:

Usually it's as FabiaGonzales says, something gets stuck on the exhaust or in that tray which ends up getting burned.  Let us know what the garage finds out.

FabiaGonzales, is your gearbox the 6spd unit or 5spd? Is your issue a problem with first or reverse gear selection requiring new gearbox idler gear and some other gears? Sorry to op if going off topic.

Mine's a 5spd,

It went in for repair on the end bearing as 5th gear sounded like a helicopter, but it turns out something is more serious with it as its making noise in most gears. So its going in again in a week or so for a full gearbox rebuild, should be under the extended warranty, its only got 51.5k miles on it.

Hydraulic pipe to clutch slave cylinder had gone again & was spraying fluid all over the dpf again, this is the second one it's had on.

Edited by Rich_84
  • Sad 1

At least it's fixed. It was stuff like that and some other pretty big faults on my last two new Fabia Mk3's that caused me to look else where for a new car. Really don't know what is happening to Skoda quality.

33 minutes ago, Estate Man said:

Really don't know what is happening to Skoda quality.

With apologies to OP for going off topic:

@Estate Man May I ask if you are still happy with your C3? 

Appreciate your continued posting on here by the way.  Cheers  :thumbup:

Hello Robjon, yes I'm over the moon with the C3. Mine has now covered near 23,000 miles in 8 months. All completely rattle, creak and trouble free. Not one issue of any kind. I had not expected to be covering such a high mileage when I bought her, but I'm glad I did. I got to really appreciate the comfort which Citroen is renowned for.

Nice to talk with you. Trusting you are happy with your Yeti?

Also trusting Rich has got the smoking thing sorted out on his Fabia.

I was queuing in traffic this week and I noticed smoke coming from under the bonnet. When I say smoke, I'm not talking an inferno, just a little burning smoke under the bonnet exiting the passenger side. My hand was on the seat belt ready to make a sharp exit. 😳

Erratic RPM, burning smell, strange smell, just a DPF regeneration.

Edited by spartacus68

30 minutes ago, spartacus68 said:

I was queuing in traffic this week and I noticed smoke coming from under the bonnet. When I say smoke, I'm not talking an inferno, just a little burning smoke under the bonnet exiting the passenger side. My hand was on the seat belt ready to make a sharp exit. 😳

Erratic RPM, burning smell, strange smell, just a DPF regeneration.

Mine was smoking due to brake/clutch fluid been sprayed on to the dpf & then it started to do a regen, pipe to the clutch slave cylinder is apparently too close to the dpf & the heat damages the pipe.

• 1 year later...
On 01/05/2019 at 00:08, Rich_84 said:

I noticed some white smoke coming from underneath the bonnet after about half an hour of driving, it seemed to be coming from the back of the engine roughly where the clutch slave cylinder is & I also noticed some sort of fluid on the engine tray along with an horrible acrid burning smell, the burning smell & smoke seemed to stop after about ten minutes of the engine been switched off. I noticed the car had been doing a regen & that's when the burning & smoke seemed to start.

Both coolant temp & oil temp were spot on & the coolant level hadn't dropped & the AA guy sent by skoda assist said the brake fluid was slightly under the max marker, it was back at skoda last year after I had the low brake fluid warning light on & I was told a pipe to the clutch slave cylinder had split & had to be replaced but I haven't had any warning lights on so I'm not sure what caused the smoke.

The car has been dumped back at hayseldens yet again to be looked at, starting to get fed up with the damn thing as it seems to spend more time at the main dealers than on my drive way.

this exact thing happened to me yesterday  on my diesel superb,smoke from around back of the engine bay,horrible smell, just had cambelt and water pump replaced 2 days before from dm keith

• 1 month later...

I've got exact same problem was sitting at mcdonalds drive through when clutch pedal fell to the floor and smoke started comming from rear of engine bay 

I'm completely clueless with cars anyone able to tell me whats happened ive got 2 kids and dont really want to fix it and car goes on fire next time 

20200610_153625.jpg

On 11/05/2019 at 22:46, Rich_84 said:

pipe to the clutch slave cylinder is apparently too close to the dpf & the heat damages the pipe.

Probably only apparent after letting a main dealer or other garage work on the vehicle.

If it really is too close and not a case of them breaking or disturbing a retaining clip I would expect a recall.

But then this is VAG we are talking about.