SE trim: 2016 1.2 TSI 110 vs 2019 1.0 TSI 110 first impressions

Not had it long, but my initial impressions and findings are:

• Skoda have finally, in their wisdom, reinstated the odd-integer-times-10 mph labels on the speedo.
  • Quieter than the 1.2, has sound-damping material under the bonnet. No audible cold injector buzz-saw.
  • What can be heard sounds nicer than the 1.2, a soft confident growl. Closer to the old 1.2 3-cylinder, not raspy like the 1.0 MPI.
  • More driveable. Clutch action is smoother and more progressive. No silly, unpredictable throttle pedal shenanigans and rev boosts.
  • SE trim now comes with Swing entertainment unit, which isn't really an upgrade over Bolero. Lacks the Ogg Vorbis codec, so had to re-encode. Would have preferred to keep the SD card slot in the glove compartment, looks like a blue tongue pointing out of the head unit.
  • Plastic inserts forward of the front door hinges are now foam. In two minds over this: I hope they don't retain water, but they were OK on my Citigo and the plastic ones on my 1.2 used to warp and unclick from the panel tabs.
  • Not keen on the big rectangular notch cut out of the rear bumper underside.

It's still being run-in, so too early to comment on the real performance differences. But at this point the Maxi-Dot reported economy is better than what the 1.2 had at the same stage.

Edited by ettlz
correct title

I'm loving the 115PS 1.0 TSI I have in my new Ibiza, having come from the 90PS 1.2 TSI in my previous 2016 Fabia. And yes, I agree about the engine sound! I learned to drive in a 2002 Polo with the old 1.2 triple, which I loved. The engine really reminds me of that unit! 

35 minutes ago, vc-10 said:

I learned to drive in a 2002 Polo with the old 1.2 triple, which I loved. The engine really reminds me of that unit!  

Not to get distracted by nostalgia, my first car was a 2006 Ibiza with the 70PS, 12v version of the 1.2. Give-or-take a coil pack, a very robust engine (once they sorted that chain tensioner issue) and quite torquey for its size. My parents had a 2002 Polo with the 55PS, 6v version, which did the job but in comparison did run out of puff at higher speeds.

Edited by ettlz

2,500 miles in and I've worked out a couple of real-world economies;

1st - 49.7mpg

2nd, today - 46.4mpg.

Taken as mileage since refuel as per the trip computer divided by the exact refill quantity and converted to mpg. I'm not surprised by the dip in reading as I've done a couple of 'national speed limit' runs to work lately. :D 

Edit: Mine's the 95ps but I'd love it with a bit more oomph.

Edited by Benz3ne

Mine was the 12v 65PS engine. It lasted until late 2017, when my little brother killed it! Well, I blame him, but it had done 170k, and one of the exhaust valves was burnt leading to a loss in compression. 

My 'long-term average' on my Ibiza is currently around 48mpg. This is over the last 1,100 miles from new.  

I started with my first mk2 1.6tdi Fabia... that 20k later was wrote off.. absolutely gutted. Since had various Octavia 1.9,Audi a4 1.9,Audi A3 1.6, Octavia 1.6... finally bought a new Fabia estate 1.0tsi monty.. absolutely love it! Engine is great economy around 57mpg with some spirited driving! Sounds and drives a lot  like a diesel and has that lovely notchy 6spd box almost like the old ones! 

OK, annoyance/fault No. 1, 150 miles (well, that's when noticed). The Swing screen makes a whining noise when on. Yes, the screen itself, not the speakers. Very annoying.

Anyone else got this before I go on the moan tomorrow?

Edited by ettlz

1 minute ago, ettlz said:

Sounds like a dodgy inductor or capacitor, probably in some switched-mode power converter.

3 hours ago, ettlz said:

OK, annoyance/fault No. 1, 150 miles (well, that's when noticed). The Swing screen makes a whining noise when on. Yes, the screen itself, not the speakers. Very annoying.

Anyone else got this before I go on the moan tomorrow?

Mine is quiet as a mouse.. 

On 01/05/2019 at 10:31, ettlz said:

Not had it long, but my initial impressions and findings are:

• Skoda have finally, in their wisdom, reinstated the odd-integer-times-10 mph labels on the speedo.
  • Quieter than the 1.2, has sound-damping material under the bonnet. No audible cold injector buzz-saw.
  • What can be heard sounds nicer than the 1.2, a soft confident growl. Closer to the old 1.2 3-cylinder, not raspy like the 1.0 MPI.
  • More driveable. Clutch action is smoother and more progressive. No silly, unpredictable throttle pedal shenanigans and rev boosts.
  • SE trim now comes with Swing entertainment unit, which isn't really an upgrade over Bolero. Lacks the Ogg Vorbis codec, so had to re-encode. Would have preferred to keep the SD card slot in the glove compartment, looks like a blue tongue pointing out of the head unit.
  • Plastic inserts forward of the front door hinges are now foam. In two minds over this: I hope they don't retain water, but they were OK on my Citigo and the plastic ones on my 1.2 used to warp and unclick from the panel tabs.
  • Not keen on the big rectangular notch cut out of the rear bumper underside.

It's still being run-in, so too early to comment on the real performance differences. But at this point the Maxi-Dot reported economy is better than what the 1.2 had at the same stage.

Well done ettlz, glad you like your new car. Just one thing. My 2017 1.2TSI 110 did have the under bonnet insulation. I wonder if that came in on the last of the 1.2's. Anyway, the 1.0 TSI either 95 or 110ps seems to be proving itself to be an ok motor. Mechanically much quieter than the 1.2 4 cylinder unit.

1 hour ago, Estate Man said:

My 2017 1.2TSI 110 did have the under bonnet insulation. I wonder if that came in on the last of the 1.2's.

My 2016 1.2 tsi 90 SE also has the insulation.

270 miles in, the car and I are starting to understand each other. Slowly working out the gearbox policy, requires things a bit lower than the 1.2 to keep that peak torque between 2 and 3krpm.

On with the snagging. After the first wash and inspection...

2. Split epoxy resin on a door.

1RHtUFe.jpg

3. Split or unpainted epoxy on the offside roof seal, near the windscreen. This is not a chip. Note the seamline where the resin overlaps the roof metal.

IGaJtRf.jpg

Yes, VAG, I've had problems with your paint before and look out for these things!

4. Rust spot on subframe.

h92sewx.jpg

I know it's normal to eventually get some corrosion on those black metal bits, but to have this so early is disappointing. It must've happened some time before I got the car last week. However tech thinks it's nothing to worry about.

I should note that there was quite a bit of orange iron fallout visible (under pedantic inspection) on the tailgate ledge (where water pools). Blue will show this up. I've since decontaminated and rewaxed the affected area, but still Skoda could reconsider how it stores its stock.

Then there was what looked like a load of Sahara dust -- creamy spots all over the engine compartment. My guess is it had settled, and then turned to blobs when the car was washed pre-delivery.

Edited by ettlz

Be sure that Body Inspections & Reports are done at Main Dealerships at each Service, fixed or variable and put on the system.

This is for the Paint & Corrosion Warranty as Skoda UK are knowing back Warranty claims these days saying there is no record of a Body Inspection being carried out.

There used to be pages after a service page in Service Books and Skoda UK know that Service Books stopped being supplied with cars 

& also they know that cars with a FMDSH should have been inspected at Services and if not they know the Dealerships not doing it since there is a Full Main Dealer Service History.

The orange iron fallout is quite common on lots of makes of car. It's usually due to the car being transported for a period of time on open rail cars from the factory to a port or terminal for collection by transporters. As you will know, but for the benefit of other who don't, the orange iron is rusting of tiny particles of steel often generated by the train wheels against the rail tracks. These particles become magnetised. The wind turbulence throws them up over the cars and they stick due to magnetism. New car paint is also a bit soft making it easier for the particles to 'bed into' the paint.They're a sod to remove sometimes due to this magnetism. It also scratches the paint if you are not careful. Most dealers use a dissolving agent to get rid, then treat the paint ready for the customer to collect the car.  Even the transporters seem to generate the orange iron fallout. It's just so common and often missed by some pdi body people.  Rust on the suspension or axle components is not an issue. Just pop some Waxoyl or black paint on it if you are bothered. Every new car has this I can assure you. The paint on the door you could bring to their attention. It really just looks like it needs touching up. The sealant has shrunk or moved causing the split. Any touch up would be ok but with a primer or stopper first to add some body into the split. Just make sure the sealant in that area is sound and properly adhered to the metal. If you tell them about it they will do that.

All reported. The bit near the windscreen I could touch up (those regions are never tidy anyway so it wouldn't look wrong) but that's not the point.

I shall of course continue to check for paint defects. In my experience some (like dust or fibre inclusion) take a while to emerge, but the last quartz-grey Fabia had clean paint as far as I could see.

• 3 weeks later...

5. Noisy aircon pump (aircon works). Horrible grinding. Last one got like this after about 2 years.

6. Usual gear change/clutch noises for this platform (similar to Citigo) -- not sure if it's engine mount, linkage, or both. Willing to put up with this in absence of backlash.

7. Mirror adjustment joystick's a bit how-ya-doin'.

Edited by ettlz

• 2 weeks later...

8. Clear-coat dirt inclusion on offside front door.

And I'm not too sure on the fit of the nearside floorpan undertray, either.

Edited by ettlz

The screen noise is probably coil whine... Electrical resonance from capacitors etc. and is very prevalent on all electrical devices. I have a printer that does this when the screens on, various charging adapters and games consoles, graphics cards etc. It's as annoying as hell if it's loud enough to notice in normal use, but not actually a sign of anything faulty. Micro vibrations causing noise as current passes through, normally high pitched often a bit squealy.

If I put the back of my phone (pixel 3) to my ear I can hear it squealing away. Luckily I don't use it that way!

Not suggesting you don't get it sorted, just offering a likely explanation 😎

15 hours ago, Confused_Cheese said:

The screen noise is probably coil whine... Electrical resonance from capacitors etc. and is very prevalent on all electrical devices.

It's either an L or C most likely in a DC-DC converter. Trouble is it happens around 70% of the time and never when there's a tech to witness it. I'll have it sorted one way or another, but I'm not sure it's a good idea to throw too much at a service department in one go. Issues get lost that way, and right now I'm more concerned about Skoda's dubious paint work.

If anything more serious crops up in the next 1000 miles it'll turn into a rejection job.

Edited by ettlz

These issues you speak of Ettlz seem quite common on the new Skoda's. Not everyone gets them but I've notice more and more of the folks I know who have bought the same model as you are noticing all these things, including paint problems. Once reason I left the fold unfortunately. You can get most of them fixed of course, but I don't like hassle these days. In contrast, I've had absolutely no issues with either of my new C3's....not a single issue! You'd thing it would be the other way around wouldn't you.

3 hours ago, Estate Man said:

Not everyone gets them but I've notice more and more of the folks I know who have bought the same model as you are noticing all these things, including paint problems.

I've learned over the years to be quite attentive of these things. Of course, I shouldn't have to be, but here we are. Folks: always wash the car yourself at least once a month and inspect thoroughly for paint defects and damage. Yes, this means getting on your hands and knees and looking up under the sills, and using a mirror and torch to check where your head won't reach.

For those of you curious as to what a clear-coat dirt inclusion looks like close up:

MZAhYyVh.jpg

This lump is about 0.5mm long, possibly less. A tiny airborne shard of factory rubbish (probably a steel filing) got stuck to the colour coat before the lacquer was applied.

🙄 Still waiting on Skoda UK to respond re the windscreen corner epoxy and the split door filler. Just one more thing to add to that indictment.

Edited by ettlz

9. Dust and fibre inclusions under the offside wing colour coat.

10. Some other residue/contamination under the paint on the nearside A pillar.

Seriously now, I was under the impression that painting cars properly was a solved problem.