Odd Heat issue....anyone?

DieselDriverVRS

I have the glass roof and like to have it open as much as I can, so I turn off the AC and have the roof open.  This seemed fine for the first week...... but tonight coming home from work.  Start car turn off AC and open roof and windows down (sun glasses on (very cool) lol)....the sun is out and the air temp is about 18c.

(when I say AC off I mean press the Off button on the climate system)

As the engine warms up so was the air vents and the floor..... and my feet.  At one point I thought the car had an issue as the  air coming into the car was so hot.....  in the end I had to switch on the AC (climate system - set to Auto) to clear the heat from the vents.....

Anyone else had any issues like this..... ?

What you are actually doing by turning the unit OFF - is turning all the direction controls, fans and AC off.

The hot water running through the heater will still run through the heater as its part of the engine cooling system.

I imagine that the air that enters the system - without the fan running - is getting heated by the internal heater matrix and out the vents as it was on hot or warm before you pressed the OFF button - so the air diverter flaps were directing air at your heater matrix.

So I would suggest you do 1 of 2 things to avoid the heat.

1. set heater control to cold and just press the AC button to turn off the light... that way you just have cold external air - set fan to minimum.

2. set heater control to cold and just press the AC button to turn off the light... then wait a few seconds before hitting the OFF button.

That way the air that comes in will not pass infront of the heater matrix as it will be directed to the AC matrix (whether its running or not) so nominal or cold air will enter the car.

• 3 months later...

I have the opposite problem, I can’t get any heat at all to the front foot wells, i’ve Tried shutting off the a/c shut the vents and posh in the button for the well heat but still only get cold air which travelling over night to and from Scotland is a real problem as front seat passenger has to wrap a blanket around their feet. Any advice would be most welcome.

Just now, Matternoddy said:

I have the opposite problem, I can’t get any heat at all to the front foot wells, i’ve Tried shutting off the a/c shut the vents and posh in the button for the well heat but still only get cold air which travelling over night to and from Scotland is a real problem as front seat passenger has to wrap a blanket around their feet. Any advice would be most welcome. Ps I have a Skoda Karla, not a Yeti.

Either you have an issue were the matrix has an air lock - but that would affect all vents - so no hot air anyway.. or

The mechanics in the mechanism / or actuating valve does not work.

Either way... back to your dealer.

A/C has such an insignificant effect on fuel consumption these days just leave it on. Enjoy the best of both worlds, the wind in your hair and cold air through the vents.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi thank you for your reply, I have been in contact with the show room where I bought the car. They have explained how to get heat to the foot wells and vents. I haven’t tried it out as yet, but will try it tomorrow Saturday.

i was wondering if you just might be able to help me out with another query.

in the glove box at the front and on the right hand side is a vertical control know with a graduated scale of 0 to what I think is a frost guard symbol. I can’t find any reference to it in the hand book.

I don’t want to ring the show room again as i’m Sure they must think i’m A bit thick.

please see the photo

msny thanks in anticipation.

A375713B-E4FC-4458-86B2-E7A193DEFA4C.jpeg

On 06/09/2019 at 13:04, Matternoddy said:

I don’t want to ring the show room again as i’m Sure they must think i’m A bit thick.

If you get the chance try to familiarise yourself with the owners manual, there are so many hidden features on modern cars it definitely pays to have a flick through...

image.png.9b6367d7b6e816f6adf2fda51d7d1006.png

image.png.dcb387f057299013a50d35fce2f2a471.png

Yes, sorry guys, I used the text from the Kodiaq manual instead of the Karoq, knowing that the air conditioned glove box nozzles are identical.

The glovebox arrangement however is different...

Skoda Kodiaq SUV interior