Steering column control unit

How can you code one of these from a another car, when it’s fitted to the new car but the new car won’t start because of the column control unit, any code readers that don’t need power to the car or is this just not possible 😀 

All the steer columns controllers are not the same. 

It depends on the specs and trim levels each car has on it. 

So normally it could work or not as above. 

You would need to post an autoscan from your car and then the p/n of the other controller to check. 

Also firmwares may not apply the same.. 

The vehicle does not need to start for VCDS to communicate with and recode a controller, you simply need the ignition on.

I have a second hand later revision comfort control module to fit and code when it arrives so will be putting my for now unproven by me advice to the test.

I hope that you copied the coding of your old unit.

• Like 1

As above, if the ignition will turn on you should be able to re-code the module, you shouldn't need to actually start the car.

If you can't turn the ignition on, it should be possible to bridge the permanent and ignition switched lives to 'force' it on. You can also power the new module up on a test bench and code it before fitting.

Did you check the old and new part numbers actually match or are at least compatible?

ESP abs can’t remember the other one driving down the motorway at 70 Speedo died all dash electrics went off but car was still driving so pulled off motorway turned car off, went into limp mode made it home next day put key in turned it no ignition no dash light and wouldn’t start 

Back to fundamentals. The things you described as happening on the motorway can be attributed to a failed battery or more likely a non functioning alternator. Before you do anything else, post here the battery voltage as it is now.

43 minutes ago, Richieb81 said:

ESP abs can’t remember the other one driving down the motorway at 70 Speedo died all dash electrics went off but car was still driving so pulled off motorway turned car off, went into limp mode made it home next day put key in turned it no ignition no dash light and wouldn’t start 

This original fault sounds like a dead battery

Brand new battery on it lads turn key nothing happens, the lad who has been fixing it has identified it down to that part, I’m a novice so can only take his word for it that’s the frustrating part about all this 

I'd be curious to know what diagnostics were done before deciding the steering module was dead. Were they able to communicate with the car using a scan tool?

Given the symptoms it could be almost anything from wiring, relays, control modules or even just the ignition switch.

You really need to get the ignition on and perform an autoscan or similar. As I mentioned previously, adding a temporary bridge should achieve this.

Parts bingo.

There is only ever one loser as the house always wins.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, langers2k said:

I'd be curious to know what diagnostics were done before deciding the steering module was dead. Were they able to communicate with the car using a scan tool?

Given the symptoms it could be almost anything from wiring, relays, control modules or even just the ignition switch.

You really need to get the ignition on and perform an autoscan or similar. As I mentioned previously, adding a temporary bridge should achieve this.

I wish I New mate I’ve just left him to it as I did have a company van, his had the car up and running some how I have no idea how 

31 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Parts bingo.

There is only ever one loser as the house always wins.

I never win haha

I guess you'll need to have a chat with the guy doing the work for you to see what's what.

As they've had the car running, I can't see any reason they wouldn't be able to recode the replacement module assuming it's the correct part number and it works.

• Like 1

Tagging onto this thread to ask a question re recoding a module as I have one to do soon.

I am a numpty when it comes to computers, I keep reading about saving an autoscan and whilst I may have done I have no idea like anything else I save on this computer where it has deemed to save them because it never tells me.

I know I need to save the old coding and not just write it down but am not sure why, does that mean it can be copied and pasted onto the new module or is it a manual long coding job?

thanks in advance.

@J.R. - Running (0:52) and saving (3:45) an autoscan are shown in the video below, the location will depending where you've installed VCDS but typically C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Logs

It's also worth taking an adaption map (2:15) as shown here:

Once the new module has been installed, it's easiest to copy and paste the lcode from the autoscan and then check the adaption channels also match.

If you wanted, you can just write down the lcode and adaption channels then manually re-enter them but it's easy to make a mistake.

For a belts and braces approach, you can also screen shot each byte of the module as different revisions might have changed what bits do :)