Return of the faulty boot struts

Hi,

It looks like our electric boot struts (second pair) are dying. The first set lasted 5 years (previous owner) and the the current set 4 years. 

Can anyone confirm that this is what happens when the struts start to fail:

About one time in 20 the boot will open.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Well...I can’t really answer the original question by that is more or less what mine has started doing intermittently and there’s a misting of oil on the right strut only so I’m thinking it’s failing.

Always seems to close ok though...so far.

• Like 1

Seeing as this is not an uncommon issue, has anybody found somewhere that can rebuild or repair failing struts, rather than just converting to manual ones?

I'm also thinking that this part won't be unique to the Superb Combi, I wonder where else it may have been used either in VAG or another manufacturer perhaps?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Staedtler said:

Seeing as this is not an uncommon issue, has anybody found somewhere that can rebuild or repair failing struts, rather than just converting to manual ones?

I'm also thinking that this part won't be unique to the Superb Combi, I wonder where else it may have been used either in VAG or another manufacturer perhaps?

my thoughts exactly. Surely there is a market for it. In fact, when I replace mine I'll pull them apart and have a look LOL!

@williamshatnerspants be interested to hear what you find!

I did find one apparently fairly generic replacement (from memory) but was still hundreds of £££. I’ll see if I can find the link for confirmation. 

Cheers,

steve

• Like 1

This is well known issue and main reason, why electric struts motor will fail is water and humidity passing the sealing. Often electric motor brushes spings will be rusty and broke, also electric circuit board will fail. I´m in progress of compiling video tutorial of repairing electric struts, but it´s very difficult to find brushes spings spare parts. I looked cordless drills motors spings, but I haven't found the right one.

• Like 3

If someone knows how to test the control module for the struts, i think that could save a lot of grief.

I'm not that skilled with VCDS but when i had strut issues about 2 years ago, i couldn't work it out.

Skoda Aus couldn't work it out either.

At first, i got some 2nd hand struts from Germany. 4 struts for 300 Euro. If they didn't work, so be it. Tried all four, no cigar. Parts were returned for full refund so all good.

Got 2 new struts, replaced. Still no cigar.

My Euro mechanic had no joy coding and 2 Skoda dealers couldn't help either. One dealer wanted the car for a further 8 hours...to investigate. No guarantees :thumbdown:

Spoke to an owner of a new MY16 who said that Skoda had just replaced struts and bcm under warranty.

Bit the bullet and sourced a new bcm. Cost around $400 Au. That's about a fifth of the cost of the struts here.

A pain to replace as you have to pull half the back of the car apart but success!

Whether the struts fail and then cause the bcm to fail, if it's just the struts failing or just the bcm, i don't know. Yet, if i have to throw a hail mary at it, i'd rather throw a $400 one than a $2000 one!

Edited by Mykul
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Lutz said:

This is well known issue and main reason, why electric struts motor will fail is water and humidity passing the sealing. Often electric motor brushes spings will be rusty and broke, also electric circuit board will fail. I´m in progress of compiling video tutorial of repairing electric struts, but it´s very difficult to find brushes spings spare parts. I looked cordless drills motors spings, but I haven't found the right one.

I'd be very interested in reading/seeing anything you have done. I'm always keen for a bit of DIY.

• 6 months later...
On 06/06/2019 at 08:10, Lutz said:

I guess you never completed the video tutorial?

Cheers,

Steve

Still in progress, but things are going to move a bit faster, as my already once changed electric strut is soon failing. Tailgate is opening very slowly and I have to help with my hand. Most likely issue is rusty electric motor brushes springs, which have no push from the spring anymore. I have already finalised my custom made springs from music wire (electric guitar, diameter .016"). Used 3,5mm drill bit with my cordless drill and winded 2 springs. Still have to work with electric rotor housing, to remove excessive rust.

Here you can find some pictures of current situation:

IMG_0158.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG

IMG_0176.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG

Edited by Lutz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 05/01/2020 at 14:56, Gilliehead said:

Hey williamshatnerspants - what did you end up doing? Did you replace with non electric struts? If so, any issues? My struts have just gone in the car I've owned for 2 months (second hand). Skoda telling me it will cost $2200 to replace the struts..

Cheers,

David

Sorry for the delay. I've done nothing. Been away from the car for a month.... and saw the other post about the same subject. I hope to start soon.... just nervous about it as the car is used by my wife everyday and I can't get stuck half way through and have the car unlocked/boot dangling open ;o)

6 hours ago, williamshatnerspants said:

Sorry for the delay. I've done nothing. Been away from the car for a month.... and saw the other post about the same subject. I hope to start soon.... just nervous about it as the car is used by my wife everyday and I can't get stuck half way through and have the car unlocked/boot dangling open ;o)

Hey - I'd speak to these people as they are based in NZ and have the parts. It is quite easy and will fix the problem.

David

https://skodaparts.co.nz/2869-gas-strut

• 1 year later...
On 04/06/2019 at 10:24, Staedtler said:

I'm looking at Stabilus https://www.stabilus.com/products/electric-motor-drives

• 1 month later...
On 06/06/2019 at 08:10, Lutz said:

Hi any joy in your mission?

Thanks

@Patrician, I have made DIY tutorial on how to repair electric struts.

Even if your struts are working well at the moment, then it’s wise to maintain/repair them as I did and you don’t have to deal with this issue never again.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1