Yeti to replace Octavia I've had 12 years.

monkster

Evening all, I'm going to be replacing my Octavia Estate 2.0 tdi I've had for 12 years, it's been an excellent car. Now I've retired I'm after a Yeti. I only do 6,000 miles a year what is there to look out for in a Yeti, I'll be getting a 2 year old car approx., not a new one? Thanks .

1 hour ago, monkster said:

Evening all, I'm going to be replacing my Octavia Estate 2.0 tdi I've had for 12 years, it's been an excellent car. Now I've retired I'm after a Yeti. I only do 6,000 miles a year what is there to look out for in a Yeti, I'll be getting a 2 year old car approx., not a new one? Thanks .

1 hour ago, monkster said:

I bought a pre-registered Yeti Outdoor 1.2 se Drive 17 reg. and picked it up October that year. It is a dsg. I have been very happy with it. Plenty of problems with dsg models according to the forum here, but maybe you'd be happy with a manual. My car has sat nav, heated seats and windscreen, climate, front and rear parking sensors, auto lights and wipers. If you can find a well looked after one and you don't need 4x4, I would heartily recommend it.

Personally I'd avoid one with a sunroof.  There are multiple threads on here where people have had problems with the sunroofs leaking (or to be more accurate with the drain pipes from the sunroof coming off or blocking up and then leaking).  Got to say though, I don't think it's a peculiarly Yeti problem.  My experience has been that sunroofs on all cars are more trouble than they are worth as the car gets older.

I've got a manual diesel, but I seem to recall the 7 speed DSG is said to occasionally suffer some expensive problems, whereas the 6 speed is said to have fewer issues.

From your profile pic it seems you're wearing cammo gear.  If you'll be spending some more time now on hunting or fishing pursuits, you might find the 4x4 version handy for accessing some of the more rural areas.  As you're only doing a low mileage the slight reduction in fuel economy probably wouldn't cost much in annual running costs.

I've also heard comments that the rear wiper motor can be a weak point.  Not sure what the problem is exactly, whether it's the motor burning out, electrical connections, bearings failing, or what, but I'm sure someone on here will know from first hand experience.

Monkster, if you are getting a petrol manual then you really don’t have much to worry about. The post face lift 1.2 Tsi you will be getting has the later 1.2 engine with cam belt instead of the potentially troublesome chain drive of the earlier cars. Easy to tell the difference as the earlier 1.2 has the oil filter on the top left of the engine.

In manual form it is as virtually bomb proof as any car. Avoid  sun roofs - in my experience after 50+ years of motoring - they all leak eventually! Have it serviced every 12 months no matter how few miles you do and you are good to go. One final thing is that 6,000 miles per year = petrol and don’t be influenced otherwise.

Edited by Expatman

Diesel can do low miles as long as it is long trips and then stationary between My wife’s Fabia diesel only did 13k in 5 years without a problem.

However I would not buy a diesel that has had the fix and you won’t find one easily now.

As above I would avoid the petrol dsg with its dry clutch pack which will go wrong eventually at huge cost. Probably write of an older car.

7 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Diesel can do low miles as long as it is long trips and then stationary between My wife’s Fabia diesel only did 13k in 5 years without a problem.

However I would not buy a diesel that has had the fix and you won’t find one easily now.

As above I would avoid the petrol dsg with its dry clutch pack which will go wrong eventually at huge cost. Probably write of an older car.

Well I have had three petrol DSG Skoda's without any problems. Sold first at 70,000 miles, second at 65,000 miles and now on my third. I do notice that the latest one is noticeably smoother than the first so I guess they have been developed/improved over the years.

Edited by Expatman
  • Like 1

We've recently traded out our '10 plate Fabia 1.2 TSI with 123,000 miles on the clock. Chain was a little rattly but still returning 45mpg regularly. 

We've just gone for a '13 plate 1.2 TSI with DSG. Supposedly has the latest chain tensioner and all the DSG7 fixes applied from the factory. 

Our first full tank was just shy of 39mpg. Very pleased with it. Has just been back to the garage for a replacement wheel bearing and new heated seat pad under warranty. 

14 hours ago, Expatman said:

Well I have had three petrol DSG Skoda's without any problems. Sold first at 70,000 miles, second at 65,000 miles and now on my third. I do notice that the latest one is noticeably smoother than the first so I guess they have been developed/improved over the years.

Yes you have sold them at the right time to have had all the benefits and no issues. I would not want a car with dry clutch dsg at80k plus as the clutch pack has to wear to work and will eventually have to be replaced.

The wet clutch dsg that I have should hardly wear at all and there are reports of taxis with enough miles to get to the moon and back on their original clutch pack.

@Nathanio

Re your 13 plate DQ200 DSG and all fixes applied at the factory.

You best check if your DSG requires Service Campaign '34H5' which is a Software Update required by some DQ200 DSG's from 2013-2015 because all was not well at the factory and this is a preventative measure due to some failures from 2013.  This Service campaign started in 2017. Not a Recall Action, so will not show here.

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us

If '34H5' was required it should have been done if the car was in at a main dealers after the Service Campaign began.

If done there should be a sticker in the spare tyre well showing that it has been done.

Edited by Skoffski

3 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

@Nathanio

Re your 13 plate DQ200 DSG and all fixes applied at the factory.

You best check if your DSG requires Service Campaign '34H5' which is a Software Update required by some DQ200 DSG's from 2013-2015 because all was not well at the factory and this is a preventative measure due to some failures from 2013.  This Service campaign started in 2017. Not a Recall Action, so will not show here.

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us

If '34H5' was required it should have been done if the car was in at a main dealers after the Service Campaign began.

If done there should be a sticker in the spare tyre well showing that it has been done.

I checked with Skoda CS before we bought the car that all recalls and they said they had been done. I will however check the tyre well. 

• Like 1

As i said, not a Recall or even a Recall Action and many cars are outstanding because Skoda Dealership Staff or Customer Services said not applicable, 

then after owners have issues they get told a 'Software update' was not carried out.

On 03/06/2019 at 10:31, kenfowler3966 said:

If the OP is looking for a two-year old car then all diesels that age will be Euro6 and won't have needed the fix because they didn't have the cheat in the first place.

Agree that lowish annual mileage should not be a diesel-killer provided most of that mileage is infrequent trips of a decent length.  (On the other hand, my 2010 2.0 TDi took me three miles to the office and back every working day, with longer trips most weekends and a 700-mile round trip once a quarter or so, without ever missing a beat in the 7½ years I had it.  And I turned down the fix.)

11 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

If the OP is looking for a two-year old car then all diesels that age will be Euro6 and won't have needed the fix because they didn't have the cheat in the first place.

Sorry, didn't spot that, I had in mind he was looking for a much earlier one.

6 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

Agree that lowish annual mileage should not be a diesel-killer provided most of that mileage is infrequent trips of a decent length.  (On the other hand, my 2010 2.0 TDi took me three miles to the office and back every working day, with longer trips most weekends and a 700-mile round trip once a quarter or so, without ever missing a beat in the 7½ years I had it.  And I turned down the fix.)

A 2010 TDI is a much simpler beast than modern diesels loaded with emission technology. Old diesels would run forever with few problems, not so with today's versions.

The 2010 TDi is a Euro5 engine with EGR (which seems to be what causes most issues with the fix) and DPF.  It's not that far behind the Euro6 in terms of emissions technology.  If you go back in the forum that far you'll find people were making exactly the same doom-laden predictions about short trips killing diesels back then too.