Slight Concerns Amid General Excitement!

On 08/06/2019 at 01:49, Otto_Octavius said:

Hello,

As briefly mentioned in the Introduction thread, have been lurking for a few months and am currently super excitedly awaiting my new car, which should hopefully be here next week: a 1L Quartz Grey Skoda Octavia, Petrol, Manual. It's the Irish configuration of the Limited Edition Soleil, with Chrome sill's as extra.

I had initially planned to go for a highly customised Ambition spec I had settled on after a couple of weeks of thrashing out every possible combination on the Skoda Car Configurator but, upon prancing into the Skoda dealership like a newborn lamb, I was told a custom build would leave me waiting until November, and that's not an option. So, I have a few slight concerns/ dissapointments) that I am missing out on things like (a) sunroof, (b) sat nav, (c) CD player, and (d) DAB radio.

I can get over the sunroof. Kind of want it when buying a car from new - had always imagined that - but it is costly, and I tell myself it could beproblematic via a vis security and maintenance :D ;(

RE sat nav, there is none, as it's the Bolero system in this model. I would thus presumably be advised to use Android Auto, which would run Google Maps effortlessly from my phone? Trouble is also that my phone doesnt yet seem to be supported by the Octy per the website (Samsung Galaxy S10e). I'm driving a 2016 Octavia Active right now and the phone does connect, but only for calls and text. It's possible the firmware needs upgrading.

The CD player thing is a bit of a bummer too as I like to have a CD player. I don't know how handy it would be to upgrade this after market? Thankfully there is a good media system anyway and so I can log music into an SD card and organize the folders and add images and such. The regret though is that I do like to have CDs, and the option to play them.

Finally, RE DAB... this seemed a great option. Surely quality of signal is assured(?) and the choice is massive. There is also an element of future proofing as I know European countries are moving to digital across the board, be it TV or Radio. I'm pretty sure Norway has completely knocked old school broadcasting on the head and is digital only. That being said though, it's hard to imagine AM/FM being done away with in Ireland and the UK anytime soon? Can DAB be added in after market?

The above aside, I'm really looking forward to getting the car. I'm currently driving a 2016 Octy and am loving it. Strong chance I could become a huge fan boy, am already eyeing up SuperSkoda for crap to buy.

Thanks in advance for any replies/ insight.

My Wife has a 2018 Superb Elegance Combi with DAB and we can’t pick up any stations here in Ireland (Cork suburbs) on it so I wouldnt worry about the lack of DAB! If you really want to listen to it you can always ‘stream’ it via Bluetooth from your phone. In my 2014 RS Octavia Combi with Bolero (pre Apple Car play/android audio enabled) I stream RTE gold via the Bluetooth from my phone. I have an uncapped data plan on 3 and use the official Irish Radioplayer app on my iPhone and it works fine in areas of 3/4G cover.

best of luck with the new purchase! 

Edited by AMB_1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Otto_Octavius said:

Strange to see the wildly different feedback RE DAB. Thanks for replies.

I think if you plan a lot of touring in the UK or continental Europe it would be useful but sadly it’s not a deal breaker here in Ireland. As I mentioned you can always work around via streaming form your phone / tablet. 

• Like 1

Hi guys,

As am a new car buying noob, was wondering if anyone might have suggestions for checks to perform on the car before accepting and driving off?

Also, wondering if there should be 0 miles on the clock and, if not, what should there be roughly? I think I read on here somewhere that dealers used to be able to reset the odometer but can't do that anymore. If so, I presume there should be something on there from the PDI or something like that?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

On 08/06/2019 at 01:49, Otto_Octavius said:

Hello,

As briefly mentioned in the Introduction thread, have been lurking for a few months and am currently super excitedly awaiting my new car, which should hopefully be here next week: a 1L Quartz Grey Skoda Octavia, Petrol, Manual. It's the Irish configuration of the Limited Edition Soleil, with Chrome sill's as extra.

I had initially planned to go for a highly customised Ambition spec I had settled on after a couple of weeks of thrashing out every possible combination on the Skoda Car Configurator but, upon prancing into the Skoda dealership like a newborn lamb, I was told a custom build would leave me waiting until November, and that's not an option. So, I have a few slight concerns/ dissapointments) that I am missing out on things like (a) sunroof, (b) sat nav, (c) CD player, and (d) DAB radio.

I can get over the sunroof. Kind of want it when buying a car from new - had always imagined that - but it is costly, and I tell myself it could beproblematic via a vis security and maintenance :D ;(

RE sat nav, there is none, as it's the Bolero system in this model. I would thus presumably be advised to use Android Auto, which would run Google Maps effortlessly from my phone? Trouble is also that my phone doesnt yet seem to be supported by the Octy per the website (Samsung Galaxy S10e). I'm driving a 2016 Octavia Active right now and the phone does connect, but only for calls and text. It's possible the firmware needs upgrading.

The CD player thing is a bit of a bummer too as I like to have a CD player. I don't know how handy it would be to upgrade this after market? Thankfully there is a good media system anyway and so I can log music into an SD card and organize the folders and add images and such. The regret though is that I do like to have CDs, and the option to play them.

Finally, RE DAB... this seemed a great option. Surely quality of signal is assured(?) and the choice is massive. There is also an element of future proofing as I know European countries are moving to digital across the board, be it TV or Radio. I'm pretty sure Norway has completely knocked old school broadcasting on the head and is digital only. That being said though, it's hard to imagine AM/FM being done away with in Ireland and the UK anytime soon? Can DAB be added in after market?

The above aside, I'm really looking forward to getting the car. I'm currently driving a 2016 Octy and am loving it. Strong chance I could become a huge fan boy, am already eyeing up SuperSkoda for crap to buy.

Thanks in advance for any replies/ insight.

Your new car should have the DAB , mine is a 2017  1.0 petrol S and has it.  No CD player of course, that was a surprise I didn't expect. I used the SD card once and then didn't bother. The Stop Start takes a bit of getting used to but it's Ok . This model if you don't already know, has plenty of power and will be speedy when you want.

1 hour ago, Otto_Octavius said:

Hi guys,

As am a new car buying noob, was wondering if anyone might have suggestions for checks to perform on the car before accepting and driving off?

Also, wondering if there should be 0 miles on the clock and, if not, what should there be roughly? I think I read on here somewhere that dealers used to be able to reset the odometer but can't do that anymore. If so, I presume there should be something on there from the PDI or something like that?

I’d say 20 miles is about average, my 230 had 17 when I collected it - I knew the compound and PDI were 3 or 4 miles away from the showroom.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, melbury said:

Your new car should have the DAB , mine is a 2017  1.0 petrol S and has it.  No CD player of course, that was a surprise I didn't expect. I used the SD card once and then didn't bother. The Stop Start takes a bit of getting used to but it's Ok . This model if you don't already know, has plenty of power and will be speedy when you want.

Thanks for the reply. 

No DAB for me I'm afraid, but based on comments above, looks like I'm not missing out. 

I've already got an SD card ordered! Going to transfer my music library over, looking forward to it 😎

12 minutes ago, KevC_Derby said:

I’d say 20 miles is about average, my 230 had 17 when I collected it - I knew the compound and PDI were 3 or 4 miles away from the showroom.

Oh man, it seems so much! 😯 😆

Just checked and tis 12.5 Miles from PDI place to the dealer. Had assumed it would have been carted over!

Edited by Otto_Octavius

2 hours ago, melbury said:

Your new car should have the DAB , mine is a 2017  1.0 petrol S and has it. 

That will vary by market. All UK models have it, bit that's clearly not the case for Ireland, presumably because of the limited DAB coverage in the Republic.

Edited by SoonToBeOctaviaOwner

Its standard in the Style (and 'RS')

Active < Ambition < Style < RS

I'm going in for the Soleil, which is apparently a limited edition, sitting somewhere between Ambition and Style.

Edited by Otto_Octavius

2 hours ago, Otto_Octavius said:

I've already got an SD card ordered! Going to transfer my music library over, looking forward to it .

I've done 135 CDs worth so far in Ogg Vorbis and it's only filled 1/4 of a 32GB SD card.

Worth adding in a cover.jpg with the album art for each album as that looks so much better on the screen. It doesn't seem to work if they're too big though - 500x500 is fine, much bigger won't display.

With that many albums random track play works well, otherwise with the folders ordered by artist and any number of albums from the same artist you'll be thoroughly bored of them by the time it moves on....

• Thanks 1

On 12/06/2019 at 12:22, BGB said:

Almost flawlessly in all of Norway. There are places with «shadows» where the signal drops out halv a second but rarely. 

Most of the tunnels are also covered. 

I’d never thought about it before reading this, but I suppose in somewhere like Norway they’d have to install transmitters in the tunnels. I remember going through several seemingly endless tunnels when there as a youngster, definitely one was 10km I remember which, when you’re 11, felt like it went on forever

Edited by maffyou
Error

8 hours ago, maffyou said:

I’d never thought about it before reading this, but I suppose in somewhere like Norway they’d have to install transmitters in the tunnels. I remember going through several seemingly endless tunnels when there as a youngster, definitely one was 10km I remember which, when you’re 11, felt like it went on forever

Yes exactly. There are a lot of tunnels and the world longest is located in Norway which is over 15 miles (25km) so it would be quite boring without some radio for those who doesn't stream music.

• Like 2

On 17/06/2019 at 19:40, Otto_Octavius said:

Hi guys,

We had 9 miles on our when we picked it up

3 hours ago, BGB said:

Yes exactly. There are a lot of tunnels and the world longest is located in Norway which is over 15 miles (25km) so it would be quite boring without some radio for those who doesn't stream music.

My kids would be buggered over there - they like to hold their breath through tunnels!

• Haha 1