Rear discs and pads issue

13 minutes ago, SpeedyB79 said:

Skoda UK tried that on me. So I replied with "I don't park the front axle in a different country and they are fine". They agreed after that.

Yea but front's are way more active than rear....

Do people manually disengage the parking brake with the control “button” before driving off or just press the accelerator and let the car quickly disengage it automatically?

I do the former, I don’t like the thought of straining against the parking brake, however briefly. My rear discs look good still after 19k (well, apart from the silver paint on the hub) but don’t know if doing this has made a difference l. But it’s a 67 plate so is there a thought that the discs are now a better material?

I am the owner of the Skoda Superb 2018, after 2000 km, the rear brakes have started to produce noise.

Since the car is under warranty, the service has replaced the rear breake disc and the rear breake pads.

They told me the rear breake pads of poor quality and destroyed the  breake disk.

I had to wait 1 month to get new breake pads.

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 19:54, Ivan8192 said:

Do people manually disengage the parking brake with the control “button” before driving off or just press the accelerator and let the car quickly disengage it automatically?

I do the former, I don’t like the thought of straining against the parking brake, however briefly. My rear discs look good still after 19k (well, apart from the silver paint on the hub) but don’t know if doing this has made a difference l. But it’s a 67 plate so is there a thought that the discs are now a better material?

Unless in a great hurry, I use a momentary dab of the throttle to release the EPB, then a second or so later, another press to get things moving. If you just press and hold the pedal then yes, there is a bit of a jerk as the brake releases AFTER the power has been applied to the wheels.

On 14/06/2019 at 05:38, SpeedyB79 said:

Skoda UK and Mitchells Skoda in Ellsmere port are now admitting these 2016 pads and disks are shoddy. I've had a total of £349 in refunds for parts from them however the ACC does break on the rear so they will wear alot quicker than normal non ACC cars. Also I believe they have the VAG dry breaking system which might need switching off.

I assumed the ACC was working like this, this explains the excessive wear as I mostly drive long distance using ACC. I believe corrosion on the shields are due to the crappy disks creating some sort of electric bridging and causing rust to develop. The rest of the car is totally without any signs of rust underneath. Guess I have to add some "corrosion eating" paint on the shields to avoid further agressive rust. The bad thing is you need to remove the wheel bearings to change the shields unless you cut them open i one end....

Thanks for all the replies to you all! Just for information I have recently moved back to the west coast, hence it should not ve environment causing this issue. I will post pictures of the rear discs when I'm changing back to winter tires in October. Will be interesting to see how coated discs looks after 6 months in this environment.

• Like 1

I've recently had both the front and rear pads and discs replaced on my 2016 Superb at 20,000 miles due to corrosion and scoring.  Before having them replaced, I noticed the brakes made grinding noises at times, but they are now much smoother and quieter.

Having been retired since January 2017, the car sometimes sits for a week in the wet climate we get in Brecon without being used and I wonder if this contributes to the problem. 

• 3 months later...

My rear brakes have also looked fairly bad due to corrosion since nearly new (2016 superb 1.4 125ps). Now at 56k miles the pads are nearly gone so I'm going to change to brembo discs and ATE ceramic pads. Looking at the photos in this topic (of new discs) it looks like people might have been able to change the discs without removing the calliper carrier - any thoughts (reading around other vw / audi forums it seems some can be removed, and some can't!)? I've got the 300mm dia solid 1KU discs on my car - and hoping I can change without removing the calliper as it's on v tight and needs a triple square / spline bit which I don't have (yet!) - and recommended to change the bolts too if removing. Planning on using Carista app to put the EBP in service position (it says it can do so!).

Thanks for any advice.

I,ve seen in another thread that ACC works only on front brakes and not rear, couple that with the fact that most of the breaking effort is done on front (unless car is fully loaded) and the rears don't often get applied heavily, hence the disks corrode.  Also seen that in general disk quality is poor and after market options are much better.  I had a Passat in 2015 that suffered from disk corrosion.  After a bit of research I discovered that if the car has been a pre registered one then it is much more prone to disk issues.  The feeling was that if the car had been sitting in a stock yard for a few months then the disk corrosion would set in so to speak.  My last S3 had all disks replaced at 10000 but by selling dealer (non Skoda).  I remember reading that Skoda will honour warrant only if car has done less than 7000 miles.  Also, it might be important to talk to dealer about premature failure rather than corrosion or wear as this could be considered as normal?

1 hour ago, OFFS said:

,ve seen in another thread that ACC works only on front brakes and not rear,

I can hear my rear brakes working when I slow down on ACC. 

I would prefer not to hear my rear brakes but they are noisy, not as bad as an Octavia I borrowed though!

6 hours ago, prdisaac said:

My rear brakes have also looked fairly bad due to corrosion since nearly new (2016 superb 1.4 125ps). Now at 56k miles the pads are nearly gone so I'm going to change to brembo discs and ATE ceramic pads. Looking at the photos in this topic (of new discs) it looks like people might have been able to change the discs without removing the calliper carrier - any thoughts (reading around other vw / audi forums it seems some can be removed, and some can't!)? I've got the 300mm dia solid 1KU discs on my car - and hoping I can change without removing the calliper as it's on v tight and needs a triple square / spline bit which I don't have (yet!) - and recommended to change the bolts too if removing. Planning on using Carista app to put the EBP in service position (it says it can do so!).

Thanks for any advice.

Certainly on my 280 tsi superb, it was necessary to remove the carrier. But then they are large ventilated beasts. But not a big deal, I got the spline bit from ebay fairly cheap and used a motorbike fork stanchion to add leverage to the T bar. I didn’t replace the bolts.

2 hours ago, OFFS said:

I,ve seen in another thread that ACC works only on front brakes and not rear, couple that with the fact that most of the breaking effort is done on front (unless car is fully loaded) and the rears don't often get applied heavily, hence the disks corrode.  Also seen that in general disk quality is poor and after market options are much better.  I had a Passat in 2015 that suffered from disk corrosion.  After a bit of research I discovered that if the car has been a pre registered one then it is much more prone to disk issues.  The feeling was that if the car had been sitting in a stock yard for a few months then the disk corrosion would set in so to speak.  My last S3 had all disks replaced at 10000 but by selling dealer (non Skoda).  I remember reading that Skoda will honour warrant only if car has done less than 7000 miles.  Also, it might be important to talk to dealer about premature failure rather than corrosion or wear as this could be considered as normal?

No the ACC brake is exactly the same as pressing the brake pedal. Mostly on the front, some on the rear. The discs corrode because they are rubbish quality.

• Like 1

So changed the rear discs and pads today and can confirm you definitely do NOT need to remove the caliper carrier to remove the discs (with 300mm dia sold 1ku discs anyway). Quite an easy job using the carista app to retract the epb. Original discs I took off were looking awful on the inside and hubs (see photo). V poor quality.  Hopefully the new brembo ones resist rust better! And trying out ATE ceramic pads...

IMG_20191011_185003445.jpg

IMG_20191011_165225279.jpg

IMG_20191011_172642836.jpg